The importance of making topics/forum posts that stand out (Formatting Forum Posts)

Hello, resident forum poster here to deliver an essay.

  This isn’t that hard to read with Light Theme, so I’ll stick with this for now. Now, you probably already noticed that I used two different colors after a line break, and you probably didn’t care either, because why would you? You don’t worry over someone else’s formatting unless you can’t read it, and you don’t really worry about what you post half the time I bet. I mean, there’s roughly 90 people who submitted to the #applications:staff-applications category and sub-category their January-March 2022 Staff Team applications and from a sample size of 20 I randomly picked, none of them used any formatting outside of uploaded images, bold, italics, and line breaks.

  Why is this important? You may be asking. No reason. Out of another sample size of 15 random accepted Staff Team applications from Winter 2020 and Spring 2021, none of them contained color, and had nothing different than the first 20 from this season except that they contained more spacing in between answers and paragraphs, and some had header images which looked fancy.

  Again, why is any of this important, and how does it correlate with the title of this topic? I dislike this color. Change it light technician. Alright. regarding the question above, what’s the point of applying for a staff role if you don’t even bother to try to make it look nice or even the slightest bit professional. Oh, I really want to get this staff role on my favorite server that I've only played for a month, so I'll quickly throw something together in 5 minutes or less by simply just following the application format and not spending time learning simple techniques on how to format a post on the forums for the said server I am applying to. That’s what goes through my head when I see John Doe over here post a staff application which is their actual first post on the forums who makes formatting errors and grammatical mistakes, and doesn’t bother to fix any of them for days until someone replies “-1 Grammatical mistakes and you didn't properly format this over here” and then they decide to fix it. Obviously, I’m just making a stereotype here, but it really pushes my buttons. And for reference, I’ve gone far and wide and seen several Staff Team applications for which I had my dislikes and likes about, and as well I think this stereotype I have “made” could apply to Build Team applications. Now, I’m starting to get sick of speaking about applications and as well this persistent blueviolet color which I have been using.

  Now, getting off of the topic of applications and more straightforwardly into formatting topics at the 2 hour mark or so of typing this, it really isn’t hard at all to format your topics/forum posts. It’s like saying, would you rather pick your nose or use a tissue? I don’t care which one you answered if you did at all, in your head, but you could apply that analogy to this situation like, would you rather type out paragraphs of a rant for hours or type out colorful paragraphs of a rant and make it look cool for hours? This necessarily more applies the situation I put myself in typing this, rather than the main topic at hand, but you can seriously apply it to anything with little thought. Now, going back to the first sentences of this paragraph, I learned how to do 3 new things in a span of close to 5 or less minutes before typing all of this just because I wanted to make everything more cohesive with BBCode, for which I read up more on Vurm’s topic on specific BBCode Color names, BFI’s topic on updated Format Codes, and then looked into the 3rd party guide linked by BFI in the BBCode section. And those three things were simply a new way to make something bold by doing [b]bold[/b], a new way to put something in code by doing [code]code[/code] and a way in HTML to add the fancy tab space to a paragraph, which if I’m not wrong, is called a margin.

Now, to talk on the title of this entire topic, the importance of making topics/forums posts that stand out is solely so you can be the center of attention and keep the retention rate of people who click on your forums posts that you make. To apply this theorem I’d like to believe to something like Staff/Build Team applications, by making your application stand out, more people will read through your application and it will have more responses and reactions compared to something made in 5 or less minutes that is technically bland and unoriginal from the rest of the pack, in this case the pack at the moment would be roughly 90 Staff Team applications. I hope (if you are still reading this far in) that from reading all of this, you can at least take out one message, and that message I hope fell upon you is that you shouldn’t rush through something if you could spend 15 minutes figuring out how to make it way better in a lot of aspects then it currently is.

My name is Beelzebeel, and thank you for coming to my TED Talk if you could even call it that.

Sources

Sample 1 (20)

Tuukksedo's Helper Application (January 2022)
BoredomsDawn's Helper Application (January 2022)
Feirho's Staff Application (January 2022)
Nepph's Helper Application (January 2022)
MrPullMan's Staff Application (January 2022)
Pixellites Helper Application (January 2022)
Mabel32's Helper Application (January 2022)
CreeperCandy's Staff Application (January 2022)
Antagnostically's Staff Application (January 2022)
Joeified's Helper Application (Janurary 2022)
Sogame1's Helper Application (January 2022)
GamingAbuna's Staff Application (January 2022)
Sixlivv's Staff Application (January 2022)
Clownkaapa's Helper Application (January 2022)
ESPINOOZERS' Helper Application (January 2022)
Blubosh's Helper Application (January 2022)
BeachesGotUwU Apllied to staff
MysticalLeafeon's Helper Application (January 2022)
MostLikelySam's Staff Application (January 2022)
Mr_squelch's Helper Application (January 2022)

Sample 2 (15)

Local's Staff Application #3 - December 2020
Kamidrgn's Staff Application ~ Dec, 2020
Sadneo's Staff Team Application (May 2021)
Danior1's Staff Application - Spring 2021
IcePopcorn - Staff Application 2021
Infernalfae's JMod Application
HiraethRose Staff Application Spring 2021
JamieDactyl's Staff Application, May 2021
Aphrodisiacal's Survival JMod Staff Application - May 2021
HELIXED's Staff Application May 2021
Ripshot's May 2021 Staff Application
Mddey's staff application (May 2021)
Kaitttt's Staff Application- Spring 2021
Sript's Staff Team Application (May 2021)
Pleppie's Staff Application (May 2021)

Other

[Updated] Format Codes for your Forum Posts
Comprehensive List of BBCode Colors
phpBB • BBCode guide

8 Likes

Thanks, Beelzebeel :+1:

5 Likes

You’re welcome, ZombieBot1 :+1:

Edit: Your → You’re

2 Likes

You’re*

3 Likes

You are correct, ZombieBot1 :+1:

2 Likes

Write that down WRITE THAT DOWN

3 Likes

Got tier post

4 Likes

Me sitting here having never formatted my app posts for more than 3 minutes.

6 Likes

Lol (Post needs to be 5 characters)

3 Likes

Ok.

4 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

Nice :+1:

3 Likes

thanks bookshelf man :+1: