A Controversial Discussion — 1.7 & 1.8 VS. 1.19

Hello Munchies! This post covers a topic that is very controversial in the kitpvp community, and I ask that any replies or conversation regarding this post are presented in a constructive manner. Any negative discussion or negatively presented feedback will be removed from this post. We are looking to benefit YOU, and only want the best for our community to thrive.

Our 1.19 PvP is not the slow, reloadable, shield PvP that you see when you play vanilla Minecraft. It’s also not like prison’s PvP system. Our developers will code it to be almost an exact replica of 1.7 and 1.8. Please remember that this is just a discussion. Nothing is final. Try your best to see both sides.

With this being said, we are going to jump into the benefits and disadvantages of each direction Kit can go in. There may be things I’ve missed but I tried to hit the key points for each argument.

Development Perks

1.7 / 1.8 Argument

While these versions do not provide as many new perks for Kit, there is a chance to expand off of the server in its current form. There is already a solid foundation for Kit. While there’s a lot of development opportunities in the latest versions, the current foundation is already known to be enjoyable for the community without more additions. Once there is a solid baseline & bugs are patched, it is likely our current community will have a more enjoyable experience on the server.

1.19 Argument

The latest versions in minecraft will provide an extensive amount of perks for the server while also carrying over the important parts of 1.7 & 1.8 combat to a newer version. With a variety of new sounds, particles, mobs, effects, blocks, plants, etc. this will provide a huge opportunity for new additions to the server. All of these additions will give the management & development teams more creative freedom in creating new maps, kits, events, and more. The latest update will also allow developers to write more efficient code due to an improved API. Updates and bug patches will be done faster and more efficiently in the latest version. With these development perks, developers will likely be more willing to work on updates. There will also be backwards compatibility for those who still wish to play on previous versions, the newer version will now be the ‘normal’ version to play on.

Other Perks

1.7 / 1.8 Argument

If the server remains on its current versions, players will not have to learn or adjust to a new style of pvp that may feel a bit different. Earlier versions are also considered easier to learn, and provide a much smoother experience for a lot of players. Newer versions of the game aren’t optimized for lower end PCs, and may cause client side lag issues for some players. Staying on 1.7 / 1.8 will allow all players to play smoothly, without the worry of their computer not being powerful enough to handle the latest version. With remaining on 1.7 / 1.8, our current player base is very likely to thrive with a new update. Lots of players who have quit due to the lack of updates will likely return and enjoy the server in its new form. Updating the current versions the server is on will also allow players to continue with familiar strategies in combat, and will still allow players to blockhit and minimize kb. If Lunar, Minemen, and Hypixel can stay 1.8, it is very likely Munchy will be able to thrive on the current version as well.

1.19 Argument

If the server is updated to the latest version, players will have to adjust to some slight differences in pvp. While this may seem difficult in the beginning, the developers are working hard with the end goal of making Munchy’s 1.19 combat system almost identical to the 1.7 / 1.8 combat system. There will be no delay for combat hits and shields / offhands have been coded out. The latest version will allow for new combat features that will arguably make Munchy’s Kit a more unique and enjoyable experience. With an update moving the server to 1.19, it is likely the server will thrive with new players and will help bring the next generation into the Kit community.

Bridging The Gap

1.7 / 1.8 Argument

If the server remains on its current versions, it is less likely the server’s player base will grow. However with a well developed 1.7 / 1.8 server and a push in advertising, there is the possibility new players will learn to love the older versions of Minecraft. It is also a possibility Munchy will attract players from other 1.7 / 1.8 communities to join Munchy, and grow within this community. There will also be the opportunity for old players to return and explore new updates, and Kit will have a chance to be restored to its thriving years. New & old players alike will have a more competitive pvp experience, which will allow for the server to feel challenging and encourage players to stay.

1.19 Argument

If the server updates to 1.19, it is less likely that the 1.7 / 1.8 community will grow and thrive. The server will be splitting dedication and focus into both the 1.19 community and the 1.7 / 1.8 community. In order for the server to grow and expand beyond its current player base, Munchy must put its focus into 1.19. The latest version has a larger and growing population of players, while the 1.7 / 1.8 community is slowly declining over time. The goal of a 1.19 update would be to bridge the current gap between both communities, and create a server for both the current generation of Kit players as well as the next generation. In the current state of Munchy, players are able to switch between Survival, Prison, and the Event server on the latest version but must relaunch their game in 1.7 / 1.8 to be successful on Kit. This makes it hard and almost impossible for streamers to advertise across Munchy, and they typically pick the 1.19 servers as a majority of Minecraft players use those versions. A majority of players who use 1.19 do not know how to change versions as well, which feeds into the same issue. Updating Kit to be on 1.19 will allow for players from other game modes to explore the server and have an enjoyable experience, as well as allow for more successful advertising from streamers.

Downsides

1.7 / 1.8 Argument

With a 1.19 update, it is likely the competitive playerbase of Munchy will leave. While updating 1.19 opens up a realm of possibilities and a chance for the server to grow, it may also result in failure. 1.19 combat may not be as enjoyable for a fully PvP focused gamemode. There is a feeling around 1.19 that isn’t quite the same as 1.7 / 1.8, in which players feel 1.19 will be unenjoyable for the current player base. The players currently on Munchy are happy with the server in its 1.7 / 1.8 form, and don’t wish to see an update or experiment with the new version. It is also true that 1.19 will not be identical to 1.7 / 1.8, which will make pvp a less enjoyable experience for competitive pvp players.

1.19 Argument

With a 1.7 / 1.8 update, it is unlikely the server will grow. Developers will be less likely to work on the server. Updates will take longer to create, and the server will be updating in an era that is slowly fading. There will be less opportunities for new events and kits, and the server will stay in its current form. This doesn’t mean the server won’t remain enjoyable for the current player base, but it does create a more likely chance that Munchy will see a decline in players over time just as it has over the last few years. New players will feel the server is too competitive or complicated. Players joining on 1.19 will not understand the 1.7 / 1.8 community and will be a target for competitive players, causing them to leave after little to no experience.

10 Likes

I’m a little confused by this bit, 'cos as far as I knew, that is what prison’s PvP system is… It’s pretty much there but I feel like it has more latency issues than 1.8/7

3 Likes

I do think that kitpvp should eventually have some of major update soon, that much is obvious. But, updating kit to 1.19… It defies 2/3 of the rules of stupid. Which unfortunately is 1 too many.

The 3 rules of stupid goes like this, you should not be doing things in a stupid place, at a stupid time or doing something stupid in the first place.

So, I think based on this, it violates 2/3. Knocking off the easiest one off the shelf, Kit isn’t stupid so it isn’t violating the first rule. However, I believe because of the stigmatism surrounding updating it to 1.19, and the fact that the last time something had a major major update (purgatory) it went incredibly wrong incredibly quickly and became an extreme failure extremely quickly.

That is why I believe updating kit and the time at which it’s being dumb is stupid, and therefore kit should not be updated to 1.19 right now. However, should the situation get better and management can prove it can competently and consistently make good big updates or if the stigmatism around it dies down, I would be happy to reconsider my stance on this, but for right now, it’s a strong no from me.

1 Like

did u mean stigma

2 Likes

Updating Kit to 1.19 is interesting.I heard that Munchy was one of the biggest soup servers back then and seeing that Sg and Hg got removed, make Kitpvp the one of the last places for old players to recognize. I can understand why people don’t like the newer versions because new mechanics mean new strategies, playstyles etc. and 1.8 & 1.7 being around for literal years will make it hard to adjust to the newer version. Many other servers have tested the newer version, and with 1.19 servers taking over and big events being hosted in newer versions is a big sign that the newer version will eventually take over.
But its more about the execution of updating to 1.19. If you have actual plans for kits with new items, maps. events etc. would make the update a huge success, of course you also will need to advertise and stuff but what do i know. I don’t know about many 1.19 Kitpvp server but 1.19 will open so many doors for develepors to be more creative and add kits that have never been seen before. (Note: I don’t know how OR if you guys are going to change the 1.19 combat so be aware that i was at NONE of the testings)

Anyways I’ll be watching | |

3 Likes