The Truth About KitPvP Being 1.7-8 And 1.19+

NOTICE: This post is serious and is only for the people who truly care to read and give their thoughts and/or care about KitPvP itself.

WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH KITPVP?

KitPvP has been struggling quite a bit in its current state. Most of its community has left, not very many players join and stay, the average player-count has been very low, and what’s left of KitPvP’s community is not very happy with it. There are plenty of reasons of why this is happening, but I want to only go over the controversial discussion of KitPvP’s version and the possibility of it updating to 1.19+

I have been planning on writing and posting a post like this for a couple months now but haven’t for a couple reasons. One reason being, I wanted to wait a little bit to see what could possibly happen, and if there will be a definite change sometime soon.

Something extra

I have something slowly being worked on about the entirety of MunchyMC, including its game modes, its staff team, advertisement, media, business, etc. Sometime soon that will be posted here on the Forums, but may take a while due to the amount of writing it will be.

KITPVP’s VERSION CONTROVERSY

KitPvP’s current versions are Minecraft 1.7 and 1.8, but Staff have decided to possibly change the version to the newest versions being 1.19+ as of writing this. The majority of KitPvP’s player-base is disgusted at the thought of the versions changing, which is something I understand fully. I have been playing Minecraft since before its official release, and have grown up with a very consistent way of PvPing up until the “Combat Update” 1.9. As someone who is so used to, and loves this way of PvPing, I myself do not like the possibility of KitPvP being updated to the newer versions.

Updating to 1.19+ doesn’t mean changing the style of PvP though. It will remain as close to 1.8 as possible and will work so similarly that some players might accept its change after a while. Unfortunately, it will not feel 100%, but will be good enough if it has to change.

PROS AND CONS FOR THE MINECRAFT VERSIONS

Both 1.7-8 and 1.19+ have many benefits for the server, but also many problems. I want to go over the less complicated pros and cons that we can easily see and think of when talking about each version.

1.7-8 Pros:

• Familiar PvP for soup players
Explanation

Most players who play soup or any other PvP gamemode are already used to the style of PvP and how it plays on these two versions.

• Higher FPS and less lag
Explanation

Versions 1.7 and 1.8 are both very smooth compared to the newer versions and are the best preforming versions for even people with less strong computers or laptops.

• Better and easier mechanics to deal with and work on
Explanation

For the tiny bit of gamemode development ive seen on certain servers, one of the only important things that need changed or adjusted are things like knockback taken. These versions have been out for so long, that almost everyone knows how it works, and most new bugs or problems discovered are only from faults of the servers themselves. Most of the mechanics used on most servers are Vanilla, and don’t need changed.

• Better reasons for different playstyles and clicking methods
Explanation

With 1.7-8, it is already very easy to come up with your own playstyle, and easier to master it. Whether it be a more tanky playstyle, or more of a combo heavy playstyle, with the consistency of the PvP, it is very easy to master your way of playing. These versions also give reasons to learn or use different clicking methods to change things like the amount of knockback you take when hit. Your clicking methods will also depend on your playstyle.

• Keeping the server’s current players if a big update happens
Explanation

If a big update happens, and the server stays 1.7-8, there will be a much much better chance players wont leave.

1.19+ Pros:

• Better development
Explanation

1.19+ will open so many doors for development of the server. With newer versions comes many new things Munchy could add to the server.

Some smaller things could be:

• New events
  • New Kits
  • New commands
  • New mechanics for PvP

• More opportunities for builders
Explanation

With the newest versions, there are plenty of new blocks and items that can be used to make both new maps, and update old maps.

• Less inconvenience switching gamemodes
Explanation

Having KitPvP on the newest versions would make switching to gamemodes like Survival or Prison so much easier. There would be almost no need to quit Minecraft to then change versions just to log back onto the same server.

• New Players
Explanation

Many of the players you will find joining KitPvP lately have been newer players to KitPvP or MunchyMC as a whole. Those players also tend to be much younger than the majority of the KitPvP mains or newer to Minecraft in general. They usually are found to be playing on the newest versions of Minecraft as well.

One problem you will notice though, is that once those new players have a bad experience with the version they are on, or die one too many times, they leave to likely never come back. Having the server be on the same versions they might be using will possibly give them a better experience and make it less likely they will log off so quickly.

1.7-8 Cons:

• Less creative development
Explanation

Updating the server is something that is longggg overdue but staying on the current version doesnt really open any doors for something that new or different. New kits and maps and events maybe, but not much else.

• Less new players
Explanation

With 1.7-8, only the players who haven’t quit Minecraft or the versions will play the server which is a lot less than the players who play the newer versions.

• More inconvenience switching gamemodes
Explanation

With KitPvP being on 1.7-8, to play other gamemodes requires quitting Minecraft to then switch to the newest versions just to play the same server. The only exception is WoolWars if WoolWars also doesn’t update to 1.19+, but 1.7 players still have to go through the annoying process.

1.19+ Cons:

• Possibility of the current player-base to leave and never come back
Explanation

It’s no secret that KitPvP mains despise the thought of KitPvP updating to the newest versions. So many of the players have already left from the possibility, and others have stated that they will leave if the server does update.

• Bad preformance
Explanation

Updating to 1.19+ is going to cause a lot of performance problems for both the server and the players. 1.14+ are very buggy and laggy versions. They barely function for most people unless they have a very strong pc, and usually end up being looked down upon on older players. FPS will be cut to a 3rd of what players would get on an older version, and there will be many lag spikes and things that will be bad for a PvP gamemode as fast paced as soup. The server itself even on gamemodes like Survival, Event, and Prison is very laggy as soon as it passes a certain number of players, to the point where it can be unplayable or just crash. KitPvP will likely be the same.

• Outside hate from the PvP community
Explanation

This point is something that isn’t really too important to the server itself, but unfortunately is already a little bit of a problem thanks to a lot of the problems the server already has. (I wont be going over those problems in this post)

These are a lot of the pros and cons of the Minecraft versions, but there are plenty more I didn’t think feel like going over because they are either less obvious, or too complicated for me myself to explain.

CONCLUSION AND EXTRA IMPORTANT THOUGHT

I believe the answer to “Should KitPvP be updated to 1.19+ or stay as 1.7-8?”, should be answered by the owner, Admins, and Developers of MunchyMC. Though I also believe they should consider our concerns and ideas as the players who play the server and make up the community. If I have to answer that question myself, I personally do not want the server to update to 1.19+ but can see a lot of reasons it could be a good idea.

One more super important thought before I finish this post, is something some players have realized. Soup PvP itself is a dying gamemode. It is very old and dated for most PvP or 1.7-8 servers. The only server that does decent that is accessible to everyone is Lunar, but even Lunar doesn’t get very many players compared to other PvP servers. Soup is something most if not all new players will not understand because they didn’t have much experience with it. They will still be upset from dying and leave, they might not understand how the style of PvP works and will not be able to learn with the better players not allowing them to PvP and practice. I myself didn’t know how to play soup when I first joined because I didn’t play Soup PvP back in the day. I only was able to learn because I have had plenty experience with 1.7-8 and have had It for countless years.

KEEPING THE SERVER AS SOUP PVP WILL NOT GROW THE PLAYERCOUNT FOR VERY LONG AFTER THE UPDATE. WHETHER IT STAYS 1.7-8 OR NOT.

Thank you for reading. I barely proofread this post despite having a lot of this already written down for a while. If there are any typos or errors in the post, let me know about them and I can fix them. Also feel free to add anything to what I wrote, or debate some things in the replies.

15 Likes

Ive already fixed a few typos and erros

2 Likes

mane this is deep ong :pray::pray::pray::handshake::handshake::handshake::speaking_head::speaking_head::bangbang::bangbang:

3 Likes

I feel like maybe for kitpvp, there could also be a practice pvp server, like for souping, maybe it could be “kitpvp soup practice” where it’s just mobs and they practice souping, while also pvping with others on actual kitpvp, and I think switching to 1.19+ could be very good for kitpvp, because even though lots of people might leave, a lot more people might join in because 1.19+ is much easier to be on rather than 1.8. I’m not really the best idea maker, but I just want to see kitpvp thrive like I saw it about a year ago, and get rid of ALL toxicity, one time Sizzle and I just saw some players having fun, and it was amazing seeing people simply having fun, and I’m pretty sure they are still playing, but we need to also just have more fun things on kit, maybe more events could get people to stay on more, maybe more maps, I just want kit to stay alive.

3 Likes

THIRD
but in all seriousness, this post does go into detail on what’s wrong with kitpvp

not everything would be fixed from changing the version. JimboTheDaddy’s post goes into detail on how this servers version wouldn’t change much. I’ve gotten dms from staff asking about what would happen if they updated the version but keeping the pvp style. and what I wrote in the dms kind of summarized it. Changing the version WONT CHANGE MUCH. sure the inconvenience from 1.19 to 1.8, etc etc, but the decline in players is due to how mishandled the server is. I saw a player blatantly bhopping and flying earlier today. he wasn’t banned. Not even the anticheat got him…

to summarize, changing the version might inrcrease the playerbase on kit for the first, idk, hour? then all of the players from prison and survival will log off. I saw this live during the test sessions. Players came for an hour, hour and a half ish? then they logged off. it was literally just me, cahrypt, and 5 other random people. (to be fair it was the 2nd test session)

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the test server on 1.19 and there’s so many things to fix and it’s unnecessary unless staff is going to add new kits or events because there is 0 reason to not keep this as it is. As a big member in the Kitpvp community I play casual but this will create a skill gap that’s huge and some of the pros will suck so I hope they just don’t go with the patch.

Not really, it’s lack of content because you don’t see hackers on and there’s 10 < sometimes so I think it’s lack of content. Kitpvp hasn’t gotten an update in over a year that was big.

3 Likes

good point there, kitpvp also hasnt had a good update in over a year. its been really bland over the past year or so. but also it is mishandeled i meant there are no updates ^

2 Likes

Come to think about it your also right! I was thinking more back then but recently there had been almost 0 staff for Kitpvp on! While this is a little nice because people can be more toxic which is nice for Kitpvp when someone kills you it doesn’t do well against cheaters.

3 Likes

Yeah back then it was really active with players because it wasnt mishandelled, and skeppy was as at his peak with trolling, and bad had hosted events ON kitpvp. the event server kind of made kitpvp die down a couple players due to the version change and bad used to host events on kits, but the change of server was understandable since it also made a lot more opprotunities for building blocks. But still, there hasnt been a major update in a long-ass time. Some people say its because of the increase of blacklisted players, but its mostly due to the updates, no fun, people quitting, etc. Literally, the servers staff do their job often. but not all the time, the diversity of timezones helps, but no other staff other than chibi and 262ms play kitpvp as kitpvp! most of them just stay afk in spawn till they can get a mute or ban off. Which says a lot about the kitpvp players. you just have to be known or a nice person to get staff. I love kitpvp with my entire heart but the decrease of players makes it so much less fun.

Now a days its inactive and not as fun. If any staff are reading this PLEASE take into account that we WANT AN UPDATE! EVEN IF ITS JUST A NEW MAP! IT’LL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

3 Likes

cant agree more.
I think making soup as a warp or making it into a duel only feature would be better for the future of the server

many servers that use golden apples / potions usually have more player count and that might help munchy but in same time I feel it might remove its uniqueness being one of few that still have soup pvp
but I am in favor of making non-souppvp the main theme atleast

3 Likes

Munchy has always been a soup pvp server, and is really one of the few servers left that still revolve around a 1.7.10 pvp style with soup, I think that the players that still play won’t stay when the 1.9+ fighting style is implemented because a 1.9 combat style won’t include souping which is what makes Munchy so unique. I do agree a big change needs to happen because the server is slowly losing its player base but I don’t believe making it 1.9+ is the move.

4 Likes

HELLO EGG NOGG

2 Likes

Golden apples wouldn’t fare well with kits I feel like, and as for pots it wouldn’t change much because that’s a function already.

1 Like

not at all, in all testing sessions souping was there and pretty much the same also the pvp isnt actually 1.9+ its modded 1.19 that feels more like 1.8 (like u can spam hit with same damage as 1.8) with support for all 1.7.10+ versions

but Oracol was just suggesting it to be non-soup pvp which I actually think would be a good idea

4 Likes

its time to let munchy’s kitpvp die out

1 Like

Thank you for your concerns and continuous discussion. We always love player feedback, especially when it’s detailed. I want to remind everyone that none of this is final. KitPvP being 1.19 is an idea that we want to explore. The PvP is coded to be the same as 1.7/1.8, and as a person who has played Munchy for years and is still somehow on the leaderboards for casual kills, the developers did a great job of making it very close.

The majority of what you wrote was already discussed in this post, so if anyone would like to see how the management is discussing the possible version switch, we put our thoughts there.

As promised, there is a two-part update for Kit; a smaller one with quality-of-life changes and a larger one featuring more kits, interactions, etc. The first update will be in 1.7/1.8, so don’t worry. The update will come out very soon. Yes, I know, “soon” hasn’t meant anything for the past two years, but things are different now. We value everyone’s opinions and thank you again for bringing this up respectfully. We will take this into consideration.

13 Likes

WOO! LETS GOOOOOOOOO

cant wait to see the new kits! :D

also i hope you mean it when you say “soon” >:(

2 Likes

I’m curious on what you yourself think about Soup possibly being a problem in the future, or Munchy staying a soup server even after the potential 1.19+.

Would you personally like there to be a change or some other way to keep soup on munchy but as a separate game or something?

Edit:
Obviously by you yourself im not talking about you as an Admin or Manager or a part of the server.
You as in if you were a normal player playing Munchy

1 Like

SPRAYERS!!! NO WAY, WHAT IS GOODY GANG

(Body unclear)

1 Like

I’m honestly jealous of just how well-articulated this post is; this is better than I could ever do. Can’t wait to see what else you have in the works. If there’s anything you think I can do to help, definitely let me know.

I have a different view of your bottom line on the topic. KitPvP isn’t in its state because of soup; it’s because of Munchy. And here’s my argument as to why. The KitPvP server, even though it’s Soup PvP, is still enjoyable regardless of your skill level. Like you, when I joined I didn’t know how to PvP well. But one advantage KitPvP offers is the choice of many different playstyles. In 2015 I was running around the map with /archer in the legacy mode and having just as much fun (probably more fun even) than everyone else that knew how to soup well. During my time here I’ve met plenty of people that didn’t soup well but still enjoyed the game. If you get stomped out in melee, just choose a ranged kit or something else that suits you.

Therefore I have a hard time believing that players are leaving solely because Soup is too hard. No one started playing this game as a top dog; everyone was garbage at one point and just like every other game it takes practice to get good; Soup is NOT unique in this manner. The Soup PvP mode itself IS a dying mode, but there’s solace in the fact that Munchy is one of the few remaining servers that have it. That doesn’t mean Munchy’s KitPvP has to die along with it.

Alienating the remaining community by making a change they don’t want isn’t going to help either, but hopefully, the team is smarter than that and will make the right choice. Don’t forget that 1.8 is still very much a popular scene. This is purely Munchy’s fault why KitPvP is the way it is. And with that being said I’ll stand fast until you put out THAT topic.

4 Likes