What is going on with KitPvP?

Disclaimer: This thread is meant to discuss the current state of KitPvP. Unless you have your own insights on the situation, please don’t reply. This is a serious discussion, and stating meaningless hatred towards the people mentioned in this post is not welcome here. Please read the entirety of this thread before commenting. Thank you. :)

Hiya, good ol’ McDonalds here.
I told myself I would never want to make another thread like this again (If you know, you know), but I hate to see what my favorite gamemode has gotten down to.

KitPvP has been decreasing in activity for a few years now; however, not only has it reached the bottom in 2022, but for the first time in those last few years, it’s difficult for me to believe that anything is being done to stop this downfall by the ones who have the power to do so.

KitPvP used to be Munchy’s signature gamemode. An excellent, original, and fun gamemode that used to peak at hundreds of players at a time. Today, you would be lucky to see a second column of players when you press Tab.

During this time, the management is nowhere to be found or heard from. Suggestions, problems, questions, and update requests are left in the air, with no one to grab them. A good example of this comes from a suggestion I made back on July 7th, suggesting that the event prices should be lowered so that everyone could host them so that more events are hosted. The change was said to be coming by Mikeal, and yet it never made it into the game for the last 6 months. The result? A maximum of 2 events are hosted every few hours, with the majority being Sumo and Super Sumo.

The only changes we’ve seen in the past few months are the maps that are changing every few days automatically. That is besides the PvP update which not a lot of KitPvP mains seem to be excited about, judging by this poll, where only few of the people who voted for 1.19 are active KitPvP players. No updates, changes, maps, kits, buffs, nerfs, even staff promotions. KitPvP progress has been standing statically for the last few months.

A very large chunk of my friends ended up quitting over the course of the past few months due to absolutely no changes, and even worse, that they don’t know if and when those changes would come. Every time the future of KitPvP is questioned (AKA if changes are coming), the same reply always comes: “idk what’s happening but I heard they’re coming soon”. Yet months go by and not only does nothing come, but we are also not given any updates on these changes, resulting to myself and others often questioning if those changes really are coming. KitPvP’s future has reached such uncertainty that everything we are told about it is no more than hearsay.

It’s often said that the management have been really busy, and that’s completely fine. I don’t think anyone minds someone taking a break to focus on things that are far more important. However, it has been months and, as someone close to the staff team and that used to be a part of it, I have not heard anything from anyone at this position. If you can’t find the time to do something that you volunteered for that impacts a lot of people, then it sounds to me like it may be better to pass the role off to someone who does have the time for it.

There’s also nothing wrong with servers having dry phases; all servers experience them at some points during their runtime. However, what munchy fails to do is provide communication to the KitPvP community in regards to these phases. Instead of explaining the situation and giving information about the problems being experienced, the administration often leaves the community confused, dumbfounded and annoyed.

I really don’t know what’s happening. I don’t even know if anything is happening. And that’s a problem - because the moment the train stops moving, it’s only a matter of time until its passengers get up and go looking for the nearest train stop to catch another one.

Thanks for reading.
Please go over the disclaimer once more before replying.

40 Likes

bold = i’m putting a lot of emphasis (that’s how i write idk)
problem is that the higher ups are completely inactive on the kitpvp side. I don’t care if you are busy with other stuff if you are inactive your opportunity to retire should be considered. I don’t speak about every single higher up staff member but for example mikeal does NOT log in at least unvanished. I can’t verify if he’s logged in the past week or two since i don’t play anymore but from what I remember he does not log in. Ibby and Igotchu are online ALL the time and while Igotchu is just an admin (I don’t know his specific area of expertise on munchy servers if he has one at all) Ibby is incredibly devoted to making survival better. I believe that if you are put in the position of admin you are tasked with the responsibility of constantly progressing that specific server forward, and if your time slows down, then ask to resign and let someone else take responsibility. There is no reason for that to be looked down upon and I actually respect a lot of the staff members that retire. However, I don’t respect the inactive staff who refuse to retire despite knowing that there is a small chance that they’ll come back (Oryeo) There is no reason for admins to be this blatantly bad at update. It’s been 2 years since Kit last got updated. It cannot be that hard to make another kit or two.

13 Likes

why is thay relevant when the gamemode is ded

5 Likes

Not as relevant, just something I decided I should mention. But regardless, gaining 1.19 players while losing your entire current community by going completely against what they want (especially after you explicitly asked them for what they want to happen) is the worst possible way to handle this matter.

9 Likes

i am not part of the kitpvp community and i did not read the whole thing but i am replying to the post. love u bqre

9 Likes

thanks brian

9 Likes

I agree. would be nice to have some genuine information regarding kit at this point
I miss killing zaldrex…

17 Likes

you mean you miss zaldrex killing u

3 Likes

mans it’s been a while since I’ve been in the forums… but I completely agree. I did not continue playing munchy because of these things you said, but since this post focused on kit I will talk about that.

What Zaldrex said is true, woolwars got awesome updates recently, and survival is being consistently improved and it’s clear Ibby and BFI work hard to improve their game modes respectively, but from the last times I played kitpvp it feels as if the gamemode has been essentially given up on.

Great post as always mcdaddy

7 Likes

Such a wonderful quote! :sparkles: Hopefully something will be done to make Kitpvp revive. :raised_hands:

5 Likes

“Things that should’ve been looked at at the time were not looked at at the time” - Kitpvp board member
This was the last genuine and serious reply we got about kitpvp, I daresay that I do not think kit will even be ready to update next year. It’s quite honestly a disgrace disrespecting a large portion of the munchymc community like this, and we’re about to go on over 2 years without a genuine kitpvp update. (Last major update being this time 2020.) It’s such a shame too, kit is one of the most fun and competitive gamemodes mixed in with inches of wholesomeness from the community.

For perspective I’ve long said that if I were to apply for staff again, I’d apply for Kit… I don’t think that’s the case anymore due to the sheer unopenness of the staff, and lack of activity in general.

4 Likes

Good read, but there’s something I’m curious about that wasn’t mentioned: how are events doing nowadays? And I’m not talking about that automated trash–when’s the last time KitPvP got a good Red Rover, or a 4 Corners, or a Death Dash? For me, what made Kit so enjoyable besides the constant action and community interaction were the sporadic events that were so hype and fun. The best times on KitPvP was a peak Saturday with GOOD events with high numbers and it was so exciting, both as a participant, and eventually the one hosting it.

There was a time when Event Team members fought each other over who got to host an event. There were times when we were told we had to stop hosting events because we were doing it too much. Yet it seems like, in correlation with KitPvP in general, events just aren’t living up to previous standards. I got on KitPvP today and I just asked a few people about events being hosted. What I heard back were things like “Kinda”, “Not really”, and “idk”. Back then, the answers would have looked more like “every day” or “all the time”. This is disappointing…to say the least.

I’m not saying that Events are primarily the cause for the decline. But I am saying that Events have a significant role in maintaining a fun and exciting experience for everyone on KitPvP. I credit all the fun events for keeping me extremely engaged in Kit for as long as I was playing, and everyone in the position of Event Team should feel obligated to maintain the FUN!!!

On another note, while I was shortly on KitPvP I couldn’t help but notice all the QA-related issues. For example, I see that STUPID Rampage Perk thing is still in the shop menu, and it tells me to go to the store to purchase it, so I do, and it’s nowhere to be found! How long has it been like that now? What I’m trying to say is that the lack of attention to detail in the game with little things like this is very reflective of the little thoughtfulness put in to maintaining the game and making it the best it can be. I see the snowman trying to throw snowballs at me even though I’m in spawn; make it so that snowmen don’t attack players that have spawn protection? Little things like this matter to those who care about being good at what they do. But seeing how the game in general is not being given the love it deserves, these kinds of things are inevitable.

I also just HAVE to mention, I was looking at the Event Roster, just wanting to see who was on the team nowadays, and I couldn’t figure out who this one guy was for like ten minutes, because, get this, THEIR NAME IS SPELLED WRONG! Can’t even give a guy the respect to spell their name correctly. How careless. Damn! Does anyone here get what I mean yet?

But guys, I was just a Helper (even though I was a Senior Mod and did many leader/management-level tasks during my time here) and I don’t play Munchy anymore, therefore everything I say is wrong and I’m just “unwilling to see other’s perspectives”. This is what a current Admin here told me the last time I tried to bring up issues concerning management. This is what we’re dealing with. Let me be clear–there are some genuine good people here that are in it to help this community. But then there’s people like this that are in it for themselves and aren’t committed to doing their best to caring for this place.

But enough about my personal grievances. There’s some good points in this thread, and I whole-heartedly agree with everything said. There’s some obvious problems here to be addressed, and as encouraged I wish to provide my own insight to the situation, because I care.

As much as everyone here seems to be in agreeance for a change of management, it does make me wonder…will the person stepping up to the plate have the initiative, drive, leadership, and passion to perhaps restore KitPvP to its former glory?

14 Likes

thx I got a 98.2% in english

3 Likes

I had something written over this in a previous draft I wrote for this thread. You’re right. From a time where I used to wait anxiously for the 30 minutes timeout until a manual even could be hosted and had to ensure no one else is going to be hosting an event, today there is a maximum of 2 manual events per day. People like @Oracol and @lilchibi are lovely and are doing as much as they can to do their jobs as event members, however, there is no point in manual events if no one is there to enjoy them.

The manual event system is basically left to the event team, speaking from personal experience. You get a basic set of commands to let you host an event, and from there you’re expected to do everything else (Build maps, create skits which are deleted whenever kit restarts, etc), which means there has been no room for updates ever since it was created, really, which that by itself is a bit upsetting and demotivating.

Thank you for your input, mr. CatTech

6 Likes

Good stuff. Acknowledged. If there is 2 manual events per day or maybe only 1, given the scale to players that does heighten my spirits a little. The way the people I talked to were telling me it seemed like there were just no manual events being done anymore, or at most rarely. But it’s certainly reassuring that despite Kit’s neglect, there are still at least a couple people dedicated to hosting events.

5 Likes

You Know its been awhile since ive been active on the server as a staff member or a player at all. But i agree with all of your points. Even during 19-20 during my tenure it was alot more active then i imagine. but i could tell it was the beginning of the end when admins and sr mods starting to go into video production and filming and leaving or disregarding their posts. The staff team was also (idk how to word it but lets go with cliquey?) which isnt necessarily bad but left the team with no change aka no improvement.

I think that Munchy isnt anywhere close to a total shutdown in terms of players because many of these issues can be fixed with player involvement and staff being more active. But if we want to keep the server i loved for so long alive we need to start making these changes now before its too late.

3 Likes

At this point, we have all been saying the same exact things for months. Kit is turning into a ghost town, and Staff don’t exist at this point (especially now that Survival has taken the very few that put in even a little effort to click on the KitPvP NPC in Hub). @lilchibi and @MeerkatMist do a great job when it comes to activity despite there being very little players, even when one of them are in an unfortunate time zone… The only 2 Mods you will ever see anymore is @DutchMTC who usually seems to be in vanish, but at least comes out and makes herself known sometimes, and @anon86933269 who is ALWAYS hanging out with and playing around with the community while still doing an amazing job as a Mod.

Munchy to me has felt like my new home ever since I started playing actively this last January. I may have become active during Kit’s “worst year”, but at least during the beginning of the year it was full enough to fill 3 rows of tab consistently. I love Munchy to death and I love Kit the most, but it’s starting to become sad, and makes ME sad too. So many of my friends have straight up quit Munchy because of the lack of updates, players, and staff, and even though I’m not planning on leaving anytime soon, I don’t really blame them.

Sadly, this kind of stuff is also happening to WoolWars. We had the WoolCup ran by @Mddey, but thats all i can really think of, and now its really hard to even play an actual game of WoolWars with more than 2 other people at a time.

Im one of Munchy’s Media members because I enjoy streaming on the server, but I main WoolWars and KitPvP. For me, and for other Media members, it’s not really worth trying to stream either of those games anymore.

I always worry i come across as too harsh when i talk about these topics, and sometimes probably am very harsh, but what comes out of my mouth or comes from my keyboard comes out because I love and care about the server and its community. It upsets me a lot and has been upsetting a LOT of us (hence the reason this post exists).

And to any staff members who might actually be working on updates, or are active but in vanish, or are busy, etc, we all still love and appreciate you and what you do. It’s just been pretty quiet, and as normal players who don’t have the privilege to see what’s going on behind the scenes, we can’t help but feel the way we do.

16 Likes

First of all, <3333333333 @McDonalds.

Second of all, yeah pretty much. I only learned 1 event which is WaterDrop, and just recently learned I I can use my perms in auto events on my own for games like “Abuse SuperSumo” and stuff. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to learn more events, but at this rate there’s almost no one to host an event for. So, I just haven’t taken to the time ask someone to teach me. That’s partially my fault since I really should be learning new events as an “Event Team Member”.

(im literally boutta do a waterdrop as im typing this :skull:)

8 Likes

Hey Mcbonk, this isn’t the reply I can hope to give you but it is something rather than ignoring your very valid post & concerns.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any information at this time. I’ve been with you there on losing motivation, after dedicating hundreds, almost thousands of hours to the server this year with no changes.

I’m hopeful for the future plans and ideas, as I get to see a bit more of the ‘behind the scenes’, but there’s nothing more I feel can currently do in my position to push for change. I wish I could say differently, but I can only rely on my hope and giving as much input as possible when possible.

The issue likely lies deeper than the public may see, so please do not point fingers and issue blame. Rather, please keep voicing your concerns & pushing for change. We as a community know we need it :)

On behalf of most, if not all of the active kit staff team, we truly value you as a player and hope we can help make the experience better for you guys, even if we don’t have the power for updates or bug fixes.

Regarding the lack of events being hosted, I’d love to discuss this further in my discord DMs & see if there’s anything I can do to help better our event team. If there’s any other concerns anyone would like to discuss, please directly message me and I can see what I can do.

Much love kitpvp, I hope 2023 brings us change <3

13 Likes

Hiya twinkle!!
For the first time ever, I think I’d like to keep the discussion and my concerns publicly, therefore I hope you don’t mind if I bring them up here.

I read your reply a few times, and there are a few problems with it that I’d like to bring up.

This I find just a bit crazy, considering that your role on the server is probably the closest to the management yet you sound to me like you’re just as confused as we are. The idea that not even the moderators are being properly communicated with, as I brought up in the main post and heard from multiple of my staff fellas, sounds frustrating to me.

A lot of the current staff members and higher-management keep saying that the key to a functioning staff team is communication - Where does communication currently lie in MunchyMC’s staff team?

This also seems to bring up my point of a lack of communication.
It sounds devastating that the only people who can make a change are the ones who seemingly refuse to communicate with the community.

I do believe that there is much more to the issue than most of the community and I can see. However, the main problem I see with the current state of KitPvP is that we know absolutely nothing of what’s going on.

I agree that the community shouldn’t know everything that’s going on behind the scenes. However, KitPvP’s management seems to be lacking a lot of transparency with the community. It’s impossible to hold onto something and try and keep going without being given any hope that something could change. No one is doing anything to give us this kind of hope, hence why a lot of people nowadays just let it go and move on.

I don’t have a problem with this I just think you’re all cute

Unfortunately, there isn’t.
All of the problems that lie on the event team are just the result of a domino effect that seems to never end. You first have to balance the previous dominos before you can balance the one we would like to balance.

The lack of events is simply the result of a lack of players, which is the result of a lot more problems Munchy and KitPvP in particular are experiencing.

Thank you for replying, twinkle <3

13 Likes