Server vibe check

Heya, I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who’s noticing this, but munchy has just been kinda quiet as of late, no one really posting very much on the forums anymore, a lot of people leaving, even 3 (4 if we include event) game modes just having 0 players on at certain times. It all just feels quiet, like a bad feeling looming over the community, phrases thrown out like “The server’s dying” or “Why is everyone leaving” and although I don’t want these things to be true, sometimes it is. The only gamemode I can say that is definitively safe is survival boasting 20+ concurrent players. But there is only a certain amount of times you can reset games before people either grow out of it or just become bored of it. And it also seems as though the toxic playerbases of some communities and the lack of advertising besides bad’s old videos. I’m really just worried for munchy as a whole right now because the loyal players of it (myself included) love this server and don’t want things to end this way. We’ve sort of been told that it isn’t really dying, but unless something happens soon, we’re in trouble. But who knows? Maybe we’re all just being pessimistic and bbh will make a video on the server and revive it, there’s no telling what will happen. And that’s one of the things I love about this community. Even in the face of uncertainty, everyone’s optimistic. Well, that’s all from me, cya! (Also beel everyone’s too lazy to add colo(u)r stop asking)

5 Likes

Its not just munchy, Minecraft as a whole has been hit hard. With the notable exception of Hypixel Skyblock, even hypixel is dying. Its sad because half the admins, And both Owners could easily bring hundreds, if not thousands of new players. Munchy is one of the few servers in this unique position where it could be easily saved. The owners just dont care to do so. (Mostly dream tho bbh streams here still)

3 Likes

While yes resets wont fix everything, there gets a point especially with prison, where you reach a Completely insurmountable progression ceiling and there becomes no more point to play. The goal of any progression game like prison or skyblock is to get to a point where you dont have to play anymore. And when enough people get there, a reset is needed. Or in skyblocks case, frequent updates that provide lots of new content. Either provide an incentive to play, or make a new map. And while i know its already being worked on, it really shouldnt take a full year to make a new map.

@TheRedVelvetCake

2 Likes

Problem is, outside of the initial hype of a new map getting launched, prison only gets 10-30 concurrent players making up 1/3-1/5 of the player base, with kitpvp also within that range, WoolWars being slightly less and survival being slightly more. There’s only so long the cycle can go on for before the devs and players get bored/move on…

2 Likes

Woolwars is in an unusual position because theres constant content updates and tournaments to try to keep it alive. BFI01 and the woolwars devs work their butts off constantly and the game stays dead. I know for a fact that MANY of the current leaderboards, including myself, came to munchy and to woolwars because of skeppy. If we could re ignite peoples interest in the game we would be great

4 Likes

Its not even initial hype, every time theres a new map prison playercount is sky high until several months afterward

2 Likes

It’s just the way of life tbh, everyone loyal to the server is growing up and realizes there’s much more to do than just Minecraft. Also with school, people that value their free time probably aren’t going to rush to play Munchy.

Also I’m not trying to say Munchy isn’t fun, but it’s target audience is to younger and new players and there isn’t really any new younger players joining the server.

4 Likes

I’m with egg on this, free time is a big thing as you get older. as you get less and less or the more you become busier. now, munchy’s great, but I’m not gonna spend all of that bit of free time on it.

4 Likes

i like reading more than munchy imo, but i cannot sit all day and read.

so i play munchy

but basically i agree with sko and eggnog boy

1 Like

Well I joined in October 2015, have been event team, staff etc . And although I am not very active anymore I think I am partially qualified to answer this so I’ll give my thoughts as to why.

The main reason, which other people have mentioned, is that Minecraft servers as a whole are going downhill. There are many reasons for this such as advanced hack clients being hard to detect, the EULA etc. One big reason that I blame this on which many people seem to disagree with me on is the refusal by servers to incorporate the 1.9 style combat into servers. When kids and other people new to minecraft learn how to play, they learn on single player which uses the 1.9 combat system among other things. And just like we didn’t want to relearn how to play the game in 2016, they don’t want to re learn how to play the game either so they don’t bother playing servers like Munchy for this reason. But essentially for whatever the reasons, minecraft servers are going downhill even though the game itself seems to still be quite strong in terms of player base.

Another reason is that the people that were very loyal to Munchy in the past have grown up and not had time to continue playing. Take me for example, six years ago I was a kid and didn’t have to worry about many things. I had to worry about school, piano lessons, and a couple of other activities which were pretty manageable. But now I’m 20 and a full adult. I’m preparing to go into the US military as an officer, I have to worry about finances, college education, possibly starting a family in the future, as well as working on my IRL relationships with friends/family to make sure they stay strong. But essentially I have a lot more on my plate than I did when I was a kid or even a teenager. With what little free time I have, I can’t really spend it on minecraft. And I’m sure this is true for many other loyal Munchy players who no longer play.

You also have to consider that the reason that people start playing servers like Munchy isn’t the reason that they stay on Munchy and get invested. Munchy games are fun but I would never have played for as long as I did just to kill people in KitPvP. The reason I like many others stayed and got invested in the server is because of the community of people that made it up. The best memories of Munchy I have aren’t actually games but the friends I made and people that I got to talk to. I spent a ton of time making friends on Munchy and getting to know people and that made up a significant part of my life for a while. And maybe it’s just me but it seems like its very hard to actually do that anymore on Munchy. Maybe its competitors, maybe I can’t see it but the whole aspect of the “community” doesn’t seem to be there anymore when it used to be the best part of the server. You mentioned the forums and what you have to understand is that both the forums and TeamSpeak have been completely replaced by discord in terms of community communication.(which in my opinion is a much worse substitution). I would say the main reason I stopped playing is because all my friends did.

Another reason is that Munchy has ups and downs. It used to be like this a few years ago but then the player base rebounded and it started to have many players again. Munchy didn’t always have a ton of people. It had stretches where it had a ton and stretches where it had little. Will this continue? I’m not sure but it’s worth considering.

I personally think that servers should have updated to the 1.9 system immediately and not been stubborn because even though that may have lost them some players initially, it would have been a better long term solution. But then again I’ve never been a server owner so I may just not know what I’m talking about.

12 Likes

I didn’t know you were going into the Military Siber, Thank you :pray:

2 Likes

dude munchys boring

2 Likes

:billed_cap: (body unclear)

2 Likes

WHY YALL jumping ship as soon as I’m getting into it…???

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

3 Likes

Bro I only said that so I didn’t get attacked by the mighty keyboard warriors

1 Like

I have been cooking something large up that might just give the kit players some extra love. But we will have to wait and see :eyes:

4 Likes

I would quit if it updated to 1.9 xD

3 Likes

That’s the thing, with so many still holding on to 1.8.9 pvp (myself included as well as larger servers like hypixel), it’s kind of hard to change the pvp system to 1.9+ now, it could’ve been possible when the update was first released, but it simply isn’t the case anymore. Sorry @Siberite

2 Likes

I haven’t been playing munchy since 2015 or 2016 like a lot of people but one reason I think munchy and other mc servers are losing popularity is bc the status of the world rn if u think about it a lot of people are starting to come out of quarantine and are getting bored of playing video games so now there starting to go do more things and don’t have time to play mc

3 Likes