[Map Submission] Quarry

Quarry Map

Just a small project I wanted to work on. I felt inspired for something futuristic, then it slowly shifted into post-apocalyptic in a way.

The build is meant to represent a huge quarry that has been overgrown and civilized. There are now small poorly built structures that were created by assumed tribal members. The drill that dug the quarry out still hangs there, torn and covered in moss, leaves, etc. A small weeping willow is thrown over the edge, nearly falling down the quarry.

Most of the build is gray to show the dullness of the dystopian universe that was once there, and to really show the green and brown from the nature that has joined forces.

I’d mostly consider this an art project, but really wanted to submit it as a possible map. So, here’s the details!

Map Name: Quarry
Max Players: 24
Height Limit: Y = 93
Parkour Material: Obsidian

Pictures

And here’s the link to the download of the map:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AAi2kyaO7zjSHAexvlIQg60_B4LbqRy8/view?usp=sharing

Let me know your thoughts and criticism!! I know it isn’t that great but I thought maybe I’d show it to y’all just because it was a fun little project.

Have a nice day :)

14 Likes

This looks great, well done! :smiley:

1 Like

+1 hope this gets added! I love the detail!

1 Like

The huge bore doesn’t make sense to me.

1. What was the point of digging such a big hole with a bore that in the end doesn’t even get used for building other holes.
  2. With the mass the bore has would be too dangerous to keep with such fragile looking supports.
  3. Why is the hole bigger than the bore?
  4. By the looks of how much time must have passed, why is there only grass at the bottom and nowhere else?
  5. When resources were the point, why didn’t they dig for them directly as the wooden bridges suggest?

It looks awesome, however I would suggest either some more chest areas on the sides of the map, or some more floating islands!

Otherwise, this looks amazing, and I would love to see this be added to Wool Wars!

2 Likes

That’s a good point. Although with the huge bore you’d likely assume that there is other technology that’s able to move the bore. How do you think it got there in the first place?

I realized this! It can be easily fixed with /line in WorldEdit. As well as this, I thought possibly the supports could have decayed over time, making them thinner, thus being the reason one of them snapped.

Good question. Maybe the drill can move around? The point is for the technology to not be known, these questions can’t necessarily be answered.

Hmm, do you know how much time has passed exactly? It isn’t necessarily shown in the build :P. Typically these large quarries end up with water in the bottom so I decided to make it so some nature started to grow at the bottom thanks to the water.

The wood bridges are meant to be poorly constructed civilization, created by tribal people, as I said in the post.

Thank you!! I wasn’t sure how much to add because I know many are randomly added :stuck_out_tongue:

+10 really cool, if this becomes a map I would totally play on it ( and probs become my favorite :DDD )

1 Like

+1 Looks amazing! would love to see this added!

1 Like

What technology was used to even start spinning the drill and how did they prevent it from melting?
If the technology was so high, they could have used today’s way to locate mineral resources and today’s way of digging for only these resources instead of wasting so much energy on material that is useless.

Going thinner without any clues of rust?

10-15 years minimum.

So whatever kind of high civilization there is can co-exist with another that wants the same mineral resources? To me, it sounds like aliens enslaving the other race to do these tasks for them.

1 Like

Possibly something was connected to it beforehand but now all that stands left is the drill itself. Either way, it’s a Minecraft build after all, since when did we know that they know ‘today’s way to locate mineral resources’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep! Seeing as it wasn’t my initial idea, I never carried on with it. I decided to see what the community would say about the supports, which I may as well thicken and/or change.

Cool!

The point is that whatever owned these drills is no longer there, which the overgrowth should foreshadow. That’s an interesting way to think about it though! It mostly means that this tribe has colonized an abandoned project as I believe I mentioned. Maybe the project didn’t go well? Maybe something broke down? Maybe the drill had crappy supports? Maybe the quarry was already there and the drill was just going to continue it?

You can’t answer these questions and neither can I! That’s the purpose of the build.

Afterall, it is just a Woolwars map. But thanks for the criticism, I may add some things to improve on it :)

1 Like

Looks amazing! From what I can see, this checks all the boxes about what I want to see in a map

Def +1

Great Job!

1 Like

But that’s not how to write a story.

My build isn’t a story. It’s a Woolwars map.

Sure, the build has a story behind it, but how can I specify that in a build? Sure there can be context clues… which there are.

Dude this looks absolutely amazing! Good job! +1

4 Likes

Looks awesome! I personally think it is a bit to grey but it’s fine. Great work!

2 Likes

Add this map rn

did you really just start arguing with Kitten over the lore of the map you made? @KittenKatja for game theory

I agree! The small amount of green is supposed to be what stands out. It’s supposed to kind of show that the civilization taking over the hole is what makes the hole beautiful :slight_smile:

Was that an argument? I’m sorry if it was, I shouldn’t have continued that on the forums then. I interpreted as a discussion but if it was considered argument my bad haha

+1
I think it looks great and would play out pretty well! All I have to add is that maybe you could put some more chest opportunities below the big drill? It would give people a reason to bridge up to chests rather than just walking around a big ring.
Either way, nice and unique map!!!

1 Like