Idea for a survival "Munched" rank

Hihi forum nerds,

I came up with an idea for a new survival rank that will hopefully be well received. The « Munched » rank is independent from VIP ranks or Global ranks, and it grants three main perks :

• No hunger loss (yes, munched is a pun)
  • Regeneration 1 at all times
  • No damage caused by drowning

Since the perks may be incompatible with quests or PvP, the rank perks can be toggled with /togglemunched.

Because the rank is independent from the other ranks, every player, ranked or non ranked, would be able to purchase it. The players who own it would have it displayed next to their name in this manner :

Munched rank

&x&f&4&6&7&0&1&l&oM

When it comes to purchasing it, it’d be nice if there could be the option to obtain it with either in-game currency or irl money. /warp dilbert could give the option to purchase the rank monthly for 5k gold or tokens, while the Munchy shop could offer monthly for 5 dollars and lifetime for 20 dollars.

Thank you for reading, I can’t wait to hear what you guys think <3

15 Likes

its a vicvi idea its probably pretty good

8 Likes

I’m liking this rank! The perks are fun and can be toggled at anytime plus there’s a way to get a glimpse of the rank directly from the game! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Why

4 Likes

I like this idea, but maybe not just for surv. Maybe it could be a global rank. For ww/kit maybe it would be being able to pick a few kits of choise/etc and maybe it could be useful on prison too (I barley ever played prison so idk what would be added).

5 Likes

Mhm I agree with this. I don’t know enough about the other gamemodes to be able to suggest anything detailed for them, but it’d definitely be cool if there were perks for them too.

4 Likes

For convenience purposes (I was grinding a bit the other day, and I found it very tiring that every two seconds I had to stop and eat), and to bring something new to the game. Given that triple plus wasn’t that well received by the survival community, maybe a rank that gives more significant perks, and of which the purpose isn’t to support the server, but rather to introduce new elements that are beneficial to both non ranked and already max ranked players, could be better received and make people more excited about it ?

4 Likes

interesting idea

4 Likes

im a munch

3 Likes

What I think this idea lacks is a solid reason for it to exist. The perks are fine, the name is fine, but nothing about it stands out to me as different from any other rank on the server. Theres no tangible reason why these perks wouldnt be added to ++ (other than balancing) whereas triple plus and to an extant global ranks have a solid theme behind them (chat perks for +++)

i get the frustration that some players feel about +++ but i dont think creating a new rank in response to that criticism is the right path. this frustration could be channeled into new ideas for +++ perks or general QOL perks for all players!

Mainly, I think the rank lacking a solid theme other than ‘these are perks that would be pretty strong to have’. And while I would usually suggest that you work on a theme based on the ideas already put forward, I just dont see the viability in a rank based around… hunger. Or drowning?

A recent focus for Survival development has been immersion and story. These perks feel pretty metagamey and seek to get rid of immersion rather than push it.

I do like the idea of getting some perks from Dilbert for in game currency. This already exists in Badges, but I think that the Jetpack Fuel would be better served as a 1 or 2 day perk for more gold than 5 minutes for a small amount. Other + and ++ perks like nightvision and /tp up could be purchased similarly.

Overall a -1 from me but ill forward to the surv bit channels (even though people are more likely to respond here :P)

9 Likes

Thank you for the reply,

The reasons as to why I considered making it a new rank instead of adding to the perks of other ranks are firstly for server support, but also because all of the current existing ranks already feel very complete to me, and adding those perks to any of those ranks would, in my opinion, make them overpowered.

I also believe you might’ve misunderstood why I’m suggesting this rank, which is probably my fault, I shall attempt to word it better. I did not come up with this idea because of the criticism that +++ received, nor am I among those who are “frustrated” because of +++. I was genuinely just annoyed at having to eat all the time and to pay attention to drowning. It’s more of a matter of convenience and making the game more comfortable to play, rather than a matter of cosmetics.

While I do acknowledge that it lacks a solid theme, I was hoping that, by suggesting it on the forums, other people would bring in their own ideas and that could contribute to shaping the idea into better form and content. If I’m suggesting it here instead of sending this idea to a mod’s dms, it’s because I know it still needs work and the more people can give insight on their opinions, the better.

4 Likes

I mean use a conduit lol and I’m a pvper so if survival people do a PvP tournament regen is incredible and will be very strong

1 Like

Hence why I suggested a /togglemunched command. For all PvP events, it would be required to toggle it off.
In regards to using a conduit, I do agree that it is simple and efficient to set up a conduit if you are destroying an ocean monument or building underwater. However, there are other situations in which water breathing is useful, such as mining in underwater caves, for example. And yes, I know that water breathing potions are a thing, but not having to think about it and just having permanent water breathing would make things so much easier.

4 Likes

Conduit lol

Doors lol

Spamming water bucket lol

Trap doors lol

Magma blocks lol

Sponge lol

Woolwars poopers official towel lol

@DREX0R This perk allows you not to worry about all of this. There are indeed ways not to drown as there are ways, for example, to fix darkness issues such as having a full bright mod, using torches, lanterns, frog lights, glow stone, redstone lamp, soul lanterns etc instead of having to use /nightvision which is a rank perk.

4 Likes

I quite like this idea great job vic!

4 Likes

But isn’t that like the sole purpose of playing in survival? To try to survive while you play? I think the idea itself might have some future if it was elaborated better. For instance, I’d honestly never make this a permanent thing considering how op the perks are and the fact that you’re paying money to make the game more boring and less immersive for yourself, who now doesn’t even have to bother about eating, or drowning, or healing. As Six already mentioned, Survival has been focusing on adding depth & story to the game, and this rank completely contradicts the idea in every way and makes it too metagamey.

This is just criticism, since I’d love to see something slightly similar in the server! Implemented in a more fair & reasonable way of course, and trying not to get out of what the game itself is. Good luck though!

12 Likes

Hihi Alex, ty for the reply !

The way I see it, the same arguments could be given in regards to the other perks that already exist. /fly stops you from taking fall damage in the main world, keepinventory allows you to die without any major consequences other than losing xp, … I don’t feel like the perks are any more op, but rather, just make the game more comfortable for the players who are willing to purchase it.

On another note, for many survival players, the game doesn’t become more boring just because of the perks they have. If anything, having those perks can allow more creativity to develop. Just like /fly allows players to make bigger builds with ease, having permanent water breathing could make them more inclined to attempt underwater building.

I understand where you’re coming from though, and I see how it may contradict the depth & story efforts. When suggesting this, I’m probably speaking from a part of the community that is not interested in story aspects. I nearly feel like this part of the community is being pushed into the new story elements, whether they like it or not. Not everyone is interested in immersion and depth & story development, many people really just want to build, grind or hang out.

Perhaps it’s just a matter of finding balance between the storyline elements and the other aspects of the game in order for both sides of the community to be able to enjoy themselves.

5 Likes

Oh god, a third type of ranks?! Isn’t it bad enough that we have 2 completely separate rank systems on survival already? :sweat_smile:

16 Likes

I think regarding this, it was kind of already put into the main post where

So if having it permanent is such a story breaking issue, then it should be fine just having it be temporary store/Dilbert warp item then? If anything most of these perks feel more close to a Quality of Life (QoL) side of things rather than the “OP perks” section to me
Let’s say we were to compare perks to Minecraft’s main balancing

• No hunger loss
  • Regeneration 1 at all times

These are fine to me, if you were to think of it in the Player Versus Player (PVP) aspect. (This is assuming that for no hunger loss, food = 20, saturation = 0 at all times possible)
No hunger loss means no eating for saturation. And with how saturation can work in a PVP aspect? That can be a significantly strong weakness! Sure not as many people yum on a funny steak in the middle of a fight, most do it with golden apples (+2 :shield: absorption and 0.4 :heart:/s, +2 :poultry_leg: +9.6 Saturation) and Instant Health 2 potions (+4 :heart: on use). But look at Regen 1, that’s a whole whopping game changing 0.2 :heart: per second! wowee! Compare that to saturation giving a full :heart: per second! This is 5x of Regen 1 and can be a significant fight changer.

Well, everyone can eat golden apples no matter the hunger, it can always be eaten. But say we were to compete it with golden carrots (+3 :poultry_leg: +14.4 saturation) which can only be eaten when hunger bar isn’t full? By unbinding yourself from the realm of sustenance, you miss out on the enlightenment of true recovery.

And if it’s really, really such a huge issue with having it in fights, just bind it together with how /fly works in /pvp. /fly gets funnily disabled when damage is dealt in /pvp, bind them together and disable Munched (name patent pending) when in /pvp. And if it’s used in Championships? Add them to the disabled perks category and disable them too! Just like how almost all, if not all, ranked perks are already disabled in that mode.

In terms of main survival gameplay it’ll mostly just be a QoL where “oof ouch owie my bones from falling a little too far” and etc would be less of a hassle. If there was anything at a much worse level (falling into lava, extreme high heights without feather falling, funny blast mining with friends), it’ll either have been at a non survivable level or a level where they might die after a little bit (eg. fire deals damage at 0.5 :heart: /s > 0.2 :heart: /s from Regen 1). Sure, gives them a smidge of a chance to survive it, but it’s not wholly significant.

• No damage caused by drowning

Which, from my understanding, is just permanent Water Breathing. We already have potions of Water Breathing easily made that give 3 or 8 minutes of Water Breathing easily. Add that with Respiration 3 (+15 seconds of bubble time/level) along with normal bubble time, that’s 4m to 9m of drown time. Then there’s crate with Respiration 4 (+60s of bubble time total). Then there’s the inherent effect of Respiration, giving a [level/(level+1)] chance of not taking drowning damage per second.
With Respiration 3 or 4, there’s a 75% or 80% chance to not take damage from drowning respectively, per second. Instead of dying in 10 seconds (1 :heart: /s), there’s a chance to die in almost 40 to 50 seconds instead (im too lazy to do calculations here), just from purely drowning without starving or regeneration from food. And if your health gets low? Just eat. That aforementioned Saturation from the prior argument for PVP will just fill that health bar up in an (almost, incomplete) instant. (1 :heart: /s > (0.25 or 0.20) * 1 :heart: /s). In a way of speaking, being able to eat is already a form of permanent Water Breathing, albeit annoying with the slap every few seconds.
In total? Along with 15 seconds of natural water breathing, that’s 125 seconds of drowning with Respiration 4, without using water breathing. With Water Breathing? That’s 10 minutes and 5 seconds of pure drowning before the player dies. Won’t shatter our current in real world record of held breath, but it’s a long amount of time, almost enough for most underwater dives in general for little portals or sunken ships. Still not enough Water to Breathe? There’s always the (albeit weirdly hard to get in this current build of Munchy Survival) conduit for literal permanent conduit power (+Haste, +Water Breathing, +Night Vision) as long as you stay in water around the conduit. With how Vanilla Minecraft already has a permanent form of Water Breathing and an almost permanent alternative to it, I don’t see why “No damage caused by drowning” would be such a big deal other than removing the slaps from drowning every 4-5 (theoretical) seconds.

And, for my final argument:

With meta-ness (and I’m sure most of surv’s grinders mostly only gear themselves towards how to meta /mctop and /bal and the funny farms vs manual) argued above and how it shouldn’t really break the game much, now’s the story. Though anecdotal, I’m sure a significant amount of players just right click spam the quest givers to get to the next quest and get on with it. I won’t deny that I myself do read the quests a bit and collect all quest books under my own player’s name (yum yum troll hungry), but also mostly skip all of it after the first run through or after the many times quests have reset on their own due to bugs. I mean, I like the whole story and design of spawn, I like the stories it has and the stories it’s made with the players that play. But if story is such an important aspect of Munchy Survival this season, then why not theme around it? The staff team (gg guys btw on s4) came up with names for all of the crate items, though I can’t name them all since I’ll likely butcher the language, so I’ll just (Survival S4 Crates). A name can be made up for this too, if Munched is really unfitting of it. Like “Allfather’s Banquet/Eternal Banquet”, " Andhrímnir’s Feast", “Hircine’s Pact”. Just a few examples from Nordic names, and maybe one from Skyrim :tm: (maybe don’t use that one).
Lore wise? I don’t know how there’ll be a problem with it. We have magic hoppers, sheeps that kill me with dance, a teleporter elevator in a mall powered by magic or something, giant animated rocks that want to smash me into the next McDonalds hotcake for $5.29 a set (in Canada according to Hotcakes in McDonald's, prices in the states), a person who can eat 256 pumpkin pies and then 64 full cakes within the same day according to the story and quest from Frikka. What’s wrong with a Norse God blessing the player with a full belly in exchange for a small tribute?

And if it really, really doesn’t fit into the story, what’s wrong with it just being a QoL Survival Category rank? There’s already Vanilla alternatives that are almost as good as or better than the rank that @Vicvi came up with, all this does for players is less micromanagement of an eating mechanic so they can focus on other stuff instead, like building or grinding /mctop or /bal, or, the most important aspect of Munchy Survival to me, just having fun with friends. I mean, there’s Prison with the whole (really expensive) MAFIA Rank for never losing hunger, on a PVP gamemode that has natural health regeneration indoors INSIDE of PVP areas and no natural health regeneration beyond /warp exit. What’s wrong with Survival having it?

Other sources:
https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Food#Foods
https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Regeneration#Effect
https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Healing#Saturation_healing
https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Fire#Burning_entities
https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Respiration#Usage
https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Water_Breathing#Causes
https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Conduit_Power#Effect

tl;dr it’s really not that much of a game breaking perk. i dont get why there’s so much of this and that wrong about it man. i get it, dev time would have to be dedicated to make this or similar, but come on, read above for why literally everything about this rank isn’t really that big of a gamemode killer 5000.

this is an edit: end of the day this is a game. there’s a likely not insignificant amount of daily players who come online just for the community. Don’t make this hard for them, we all just want to have fun.

7 Likes