Idea for a survival "Munched" rank

The reason why I thought of it in the form of rank is because perks of this type, such as /nightvision, /fly, and others are most often perks that come along with ranks. However, as I’ve stated in my second reply to NumberSix, I already feel like most of the current existing ranks are very complete, and adding new perks to them would make them overpowered.

Do these perks have to come along with a rank ? No, definitely not. And the fact that I suggested them in the form of a rank shouldn’t stop the community from considering other shapes and forms for them in reply to this post.

4 Likes

Thank you for explaining the implications of such perks !
I like the idea of relating the perks to norse mythology to fit the season’s lore ! If that’s one of the issues with what I came up with, then I think this is a pretty great way to counter that issue.

4 Likes

thanks for the advertisement mister trim!

4 Likes

I will be very honest, respectful and courteous in my comments following this heading. :slightly_smiling_face:

:sparkles: I’m sorry but when someone barely plays a game mode, almost never communicates with its community, I think their opinion should be less reflective compared to this person who plays and enjoys playing among this community and continuously since its very beginning.

I can understand that a person can give a constructive opinion on a given subject. However, you can’t comment in such a way that you speak for an entire community when you barely know it. :sparkles:

In short, I come back to the subject of the answers I would like to give.

• First of all, coming out of a discussion with an administrator, I just wanted to say that the +++ rank will not get any perk in its future. So the idea of making it a little more useful rank is already dead.

• Second, I don’t see how a rank should have a theme. + has no theme, the same for ++, +++ is hardly an exception and the same goes for global ranks. A rank is to support the player by making their game experience more fun and from the point of view of the server, it allows people able to get the rank to support the server.

• Third, I would like to come back to the topic talking about the server’s lore. I’d like to be honest here too, apart from the Nemesis event, I don’t consider Survival to have a lore for several reasons. The only things we had for season 4 were name changes of the gadgets to fit the theme of Norse mythology. Where is the lore? The spawn has been adapted to the theme of Norse mythology. Where is the lore? The only thing I could consider as lore would be the discussions between the player and the quest givers. Here for example, I remind you that I have been playing since the beginning of season 4 and that I even asked a question on the server to receive feedbacks, I can confirm that 90% of players do not read the story of the quest givers.

• Again, I do not see what the problem is. Perks are not OP and do not defy the server theme in any place, the two are not even related hence the fact that I support my words saying that these reasons may not be the most important.

I remain optimist because I observe that people have multiple opinions and that this provokes multiple conversations. So let’s hope this leads to some good, and potentially the addition of more content to the game. :heartbeat:

8 Likes

Oh my good lord that is a long reply

5 Likes

Guys!!! I have a wonderful idea. Just give +++ these perks lol!

Edit: Ngl I’m a bit frustrated with how easy survival is now and I feel like these perks would just make it even easier. Still wonderful idea but maybe just different perks or maybe make perks that would benefit more towards nonranked players!

Edit 2/side comment: this post is getting very argumentative and I feel like this is happening with every post nowadays

5 Likes

i had fun making it! i’d say it’s a 5 minute read maybe? maybe a little under that too
most of that is coming from the point of just seeing what viv’s idea was and comparing it to vanilla minecraft mechanics, showing how it really isn’t that big of a deal
literally, it has no strong place in even survival and just makes things less of a hassle
“wow wow no food op??? regen 1 op??” it’s literally nothing when saturation heals everyone up. and food, it’s everywhere. there’s farmer’s/fisherman diet providing +2.5 pips of food just from eating anything. 3.5 food pips from melons, 5 food pips from bread. food is a literal non-issue, leading to healing as a non issue

personal take that i’d rather it not be in +++. it’s not really nice to gate it behind high tier ranks when it can be easily accessed by everyone

:)
just have fun man. like literally i don’t get why it’s such a huge issue for just a mini QoL change. like i could even say “add this to ++ and be done with it” but since viv’s idea was to put it as a separate, surv only rank, i’ll play onto that instead. makes it easily accessible to everyone too!

also, as an end note:
Please actually take like some time to read the overly lengthy post by me. Sure, I get that I was kind of trolling a bit by making an essay length (1.4k words) post but it goes into detail on comparisons between the rank and vanilla game mechanics. I’m willing to take feedback (on the crappy writing) and discuss (on why the rank may not be balanced in your opinion) though! But only at the very least after you read it.

edit: actually since i’m here right, i might as well take the time to bring up
why is not having to eat such a “big OP unbalanced not lore wise” issue when there’s people who can literally /fly. i’m pretty sure that the old nords didn’t fly around with people sitting on each other with a pumpkin pie while twerking and shooting a bow at a tposing land dweller.

3 Likes

Uh oh sev’s a forum main we’re going to start getting more sev hot takes

4 Likes

Yeah, I preferred it to be something accessible to people who don’t have the other ranks

4 Likes

-1 too op

2 Likes

Have you read Sev’s reply ? Consider reading the other replies before commenting :)

edit : I mean this with all due respect, but like, there is a reply explaining in the most minute details why it is not op, so if you’re interested in the topic enough to -1 it, please actually think about it before commenting. However, if you care to explain why it is op, I’d love to hear it.

Btw, you literally own two ranks that give you keepinv and fly

3 Likes

Why? The OP level I and possibly others are referring to are the PvE aspect. Hunger and eating are a very base part of Survival and Minecraft as a whole and removing it removes a core part of simple day-to-day playing. I understand its not the most exciting aspect but it keeps it ‘Minecraft’ in a way. The kind of gamemode I tthink these perks would suit would be an OP factions gamemode (which can be quite similar to Survival at times!)

I concur that no hunger isn’t OP in pvp! But it is too metagamey for the PvE area, I think.

Why do you play survival? Hunger and management of the self and your resources is a huge part of what makes it unique, from food stores to choosing what kind of food you want to mass produce (I’m a pumpkin pie fellow, what about you?)

No drowning dmg isnt especially powerful, true, but its nowhere near exciting enough for a rank and maybe slightly too powerfuk to add to + or ++ (though I wouldnt be completely against it)

hell yea :muscle::muscle::muscle: hircine is trash tho I always go w my werewolf friend

The issue isn’t that the name is too metagamey, more that the abilities are. Fly and other perks are extremely convenient and not super immersive, true, but at this point they’re a core part of the game and ripping them away would be fatal to the game. You can’t bring Survival backwards towards immersion but you can certainly stop pushing it.

No hunger is fine as a temporary perk. Like a day from Dilbert or as a quest reward. It doesn’t work for a rank, and certainly not the key perk of a rank. Regen 1 and drowning dmg are similarly lackluster.

I love Survival, and I do play it more than I play most other games I own, but I don’t play it for hours a day. I hand you and the other discussers that grievance. But as a casual player I can make a fair assessment of what I’d like to see in the game and what I think management and the BIT (the latter of which have discussed this idea) would and will think of this idea.

tl;dr i appreciate the thought, but in a gamemode full of ranks (3 separate categories!) adding a whole new shop category just for these simple perks isn’t worth it.

6 Likes

Hi! Stella is here again, perhaps for one last time, to share her feelings about all the arguments that were published here. I am, above all, happy to see that people are paying more and more attention to the server. :heart: Posts related to Survival are multiplying and I notice that we are invited to share our suggestions. Even if a lot and enough has already been said, I am going to bring my last words! :sparkles:

• First, I would like to come to the question of what Survival is, through my eyes at least. It may seem very simple but Survival is not just a survival game like all the others. It is a community, passionate people who never stop innovating by letting their imagination bear fruit, whether through constructions, suggestions etc. It is a game mode that the community shapes itself. It is nothing of ordinary survival as we have a currency, gold, commands, ranks, plug-ins and more. We go beyond what the classic game offers us, otherwise everything would already be boring.

• That being said, it remains important to know that any beginning will be similar to a normal game beginning in the sense that it is important to find Stuff, to find Food, manage your inventory to finally have all the necessary resources to thrive. This beginning is the same for any player wishing to start an adventure on Survival. However, this phase is not infinite. It is clear that for a season that lasts more than a year, this would be enough to make people leave because there would be nothing to innovate. The rest comes thanks to players who are passionate enough to build and expand all the possibilities of creations. And I think it’s easy to see that some Perks, although not essential, would be appreciated to carry out the fun of the players as well as to make them spend more time playing rather than confronting the game mode with a Classic Vanilla Survival.

• Thus take the existence of ranks to ensure the amusement of the players while helping the server! Survival contains two categories of ranks, the specific ranks that in the game mode (+, ++ and +++) and the global ranks of which only two have an influence on the game (Elite & Legend).

Vic’s suggestion is to add a new rank that would be specific to Survival, so something that enters the plusses category. ‘Munched’ which grants No Hunger Loss and No Drowning. I remind you that these Perks can be toggled via /togglemunched. Several remarks have been made showing an unfavourable opinion towards her suggestion, which I understand because everyone has their own opinion. However, since her idea seems relevant to me and some other players, I am aiming, once again, to answer very clearly all these problems that seem to me relatively minimal.

• First, the rank defying the server’s lore and immersion!

I think adding a certain story to Survival is a fantastic idea. However, there is a great lack of content. Let me use the word Lore. Season 3 was about a specific theme, wasn’t it? The Spawn adapted to the theme as well as the names of the gadgets. But were we talking about Lore during this season? No. It’s the same for season 4. Again, the only thing that is Lore is the discussions with the quest givers and the Nemesis.

1) Basically, quest givers tell us their stories and the needs we need to provide them them in order to finish certain Storylines. Several rewards coveted by the community are available, Mini Crate Keys, Crate Keys, Ending books without forgetting the Baby Dragon after completion of all Storylines from one quest giver. A big problem is that the community does not bother to read the stories told because the rewards are more interesting. The season is supposed to last for more than a year. It is clear and obvious that a story read once is not worth reading it again / it is not even necessary to pay attention because one can skip the dialogues.

2) The Nemesis is, from what I understand, an enemy that is supposed to harm the village that is Survival. There was a recent event about him and the feedback was extremely positive. It’s nice to know you’re fighting a mysterious enemy, prompting the entire server to cooperate to defend Survival. And this was one of the only events, during my entire duration on Survival, that was able to bring together a lot of people for a single cause. Follow a story.

In my opinion, this is the Lore that we have. And I don’t see at all how a rank creates a lack of immersion. It is necessary to make stories more appealing to the link to blame a suggestion of rank. No one mentioned the already existing ranks as a heavy burden anyway. And there are probably better solutions to overcome a lack of immersion, not by blaming one rank, there will always be ranks in all cases, but rather by strengthening and adding more Lore in Survival.

• Second, the rank defying the aspect of ‘survival’!

I think I already touched on my idea at the very beginning, during my explanation of Survival. So let me repeat myself. Survival is not just Vanilla Survival. There is much more content that even already opposes basic normal survival. But any beginning, in my opinion, goes through the basics; make Stuff, have Food, organize your inventory.

However, Survival isn’t just about that. You build your own game, your own adventure through meetings, building sessions etc. And, of course, if someone has a big plan, limiting it to a certain level of classic survival makes things complicated, not impossible but complicated and boring. Hence the fact that we have ranks with Perks, not to make everything even simpler because there is nothing complicated on Survival, but to help potential projects to lead, for more fun, for more content.

This isn’t wrong, but again, that’s only concerning the beginning of a casual survival journey. As you progress, you eventually hit the game mode’s economy and since then, you clearly skip the food gathering process because /warp Dilbert and you can easily get 16 steaks from a fair price of 1 gold. Not only steaks, there is a large panel of food types you can purchase and if it’s only for a viable source of food you are looking for, /kit gets you free 10 steaks every now and then.

You probably don’t know this, but shops that sells food aren’t necessarily the most thriving shops. Dilbert has an unlimited source of food, players don’t. Dilbert sells for a fair amount of gold, not every players don’t. And if your shop happens to run out of food, either Dilbert can replace it, or you get to restock but it’s not like if those shops gets empty in about a week.

Food has never been and will never be something survival or it’s core aspect, Munchy Survival, would rely on because of how accessible it is.

Further explanations about how those Perks are neither too broken nor tearing apart Survival can be found here thanks to @Severtrim. Consider reading it.

I probably have something to add as a opinion I wanted to address but I forgot about it because it’s 1 am. I shall keep things a bit short and edit this post when it will come back in my mind again.
Side note!

That’s a bit of a shame in my opinion that there are barely any survival mains from the BIT. We do be having @HeyAlan @peeloofortjuan @smeru who main survival but they kind of disappeared which is unfortunate and @Vicvi who recently stepped down. Again, I’m clearly not stating that other BIT members shouldn’t reflect any of their opinions just because they do not play the game mode as much as many other players do. Plus, I don’t get why such idea should be discussed more in the BIT channels whereas the forums are a place for literally everyone to shape their understanding, their opinions, their feedbacks and suggestions!

Just don’t forget that we, players that aren’t necessarily in the BIT, also know what we are speaking about. It’s not by being in the BIT that we constantly have to hear that!

:star: Overall, that’s pretty much it. There’s nothing really wrong about having a new rank and that’s my honest opinion. Feel free to agree, feel free to disagree but from someone that has been playing every day for 2 years, that got some opinions from other survival mains, I wouldn’t just want to see this idea fade away considering it’s making a lot of people react.

This isn’t just something everyone would ignore, so it gives me hopes that something will be done. Either the suggestion on its own will thrive or an alternative with the same sprite will shine and improve the quality of the gameplay! :star2:

:sparkling_heart: Love you all! :heart: This will, as I said, be my last reply from this topic because there isn’t much to add at this point. :heartbeat:

4 Likes

You’re not wrong but at the same time in Munchy there’s mcMMO. There’s that whole section of /herbalism giving more food as a passive every 20 Herbalism levels
(mcMMO GitHub configs: mcMMO/src/main/java/com/gmail/nossr50/listeners/EntityListener.java at master · mcMMO-Dev/mcMMO · GitHub
ctrl + f for “farmer” cause formatting is killing the link highlighter)
While true that Munchy likely uses their own configs, the passive from Farmer’s Diet is generally the same.
Bread 2.5 :poultry_leg: to 5 :poultry_leg:, Melon 1 :poultry_leg: to 2.5 :poultry_leg:, Gold carrots 3 :poultry_leg: to 5.5 :poultry_leg:, etc.
And there’s 32 players with ≥ 100 Herbalism (Maxed out level), just about the amount of active, non-alt, players online daily (from self observations at least, no true survey result).
Pushing Herbalism aside, there’s still a small handful of shops that sell food at an extremely low price, or even for free!

Shops 5, 24 do it at 1g/128 Baked potatoes
Shop 19 with free Baked potatoes
Shop 38 with free varied food (also including baked potatoes)
(thank you for your contribution btw shop owners)

I’m not gonna, uh, bring up /fishing cause not enough people fish for that as a statistic.

I won’t discount that food does have its own market, but food is well, easily accessible and easily refilled due to ingame mechanics, /kit, the community (Farm :tm: and players). Could even go to a random mob spawner warp and live off of free spider eyes and rotten flesh from grinding too if you’d like, though I would strongly recommend you to not do that, doesn’t sound healthy.

I think we have a disagreement on what I find unique about survival/MunchyMC then.
I play survival to survive. I play MunchyMC survival to have fun with the community, to gaze at the weirdly impressive builds people make in survival (though with /fly too), to view the walls upon walls of mapart that people spend an unspeakable amount of time to create (i’ve built some myself in s3 and it’s fun, leaves me time to think), to build (sometimes, i’m not very good at it), to catch up with friends I’ve somehow made over oceans of varying distances.

Which is well, understandable for /fly. Did you see the number of broken legs on the first 2 weeks of reset? For everyone to be mortal once more was… an experience to say. But then this just brings back to the rank then. It’s a convenience, too, to not have to eat for a (possibly temporary or permanent, depending on implementation if applicable) period of time, to just focus on building, maparting, having fun with friends, whatever! In a way it’s a rank to focus more on what’s on hand in the moment rather than a distracting “feature”. Sure, I’ll agree that this rank with /fly makes it akin to /gamemode creative, but is it not similar to that already for most ++ players?

I mean, that sounds fine-ish to me, for it to be a temporary perk. Just not like fly tokens where it’s a funny 2 minutes. I get why it had to be short for /fly, but no hunger lasting for much, much longer than that would make it more worthwhile of an investment. Kind of like a “well i could spend on this perk. but i could also spend 5 seconds breaking this potato beside me and doing /smelt, and then holding right click to eat every few minutes” kind of balance, I guess?
I would be heavily against giving it as a quest reward though. While I won’t deny that the dev team have spent a non-insignificant time on developing quests, this kind of opens up additional doorways for bugs/abusing with quests or events (eg +mall time from New Year Creepers, questline resetting)

That is understandable, I suppose. In a way I guess I viewed the rank part through the shop of Prison, where they quite literally have/had/(??? why is it still there?) a Build Package type thing in https://shop.munchymc.com/category/1055786

I do appreciate this discussion though and am open to it being geared towards a perk rather than rank too if it’s needed. Unsure what @Vicvi thinks about it since it’s her idea to start with, but I still like the way it’s going!

i eat bread

i help werewolf friend for ring, then murder him after because moni
yes, murder them all

on an extreme side note, i am extremely apologetic for these extremely wide posts i’ve been doing. in a way im trying to go into as much detail as possible while trying to minimise on wrongly referenced data. i guess it could be seen as the fact that im excited for something like this? that or im sev

4 Likes

I think what you’ve said here are mostly things I’ve already generally agreed with in the post prior, and stuff that I’m also in agreement with. So it’s nice to see you supporting it too (thanks for linking my overly long writing too). At most the difference is I’m willing to accept it as a perk too rather than purely as a rank only.

only one major issue though.

where rat
you didnt put rat in
im ratting you out to @EvillRat

4 Likes

It. Was. 1. Am.

3 Likes

Hello,
I’ve been seeing the past conversations in this forum post for a while now but here is what I think about this idea:
I really like this idea, especially the idea of adding No Hunger. It would be really helpful to a most of us on survival.

As @Candlea mentioned in her latest reply, Season 4 also has a specific theme, which is being followed by the theme of the spawn and the gadget names.
The only “story” part here is the messages by Frikka & Bjarke which most of us tend to spam click through. Most of us do quests to either have fun or to earn mini and/or crate keys.

Again, As mentioned by Candle, Most of the BIT Members are not even Survival mains.
Also, As someone who has been playing survival for over a year now, I feel like these perks won’t have much harm to the “Survival” aspect of the gamemode.

These all are several methods that can be used to avoid damage by drowning.
But, For Instance, Let’s talk about people who make Maparts on Survival.
I myself have made a few maparts in Season 3 and I’m currently working on making my mapart platform for this season.
A thing I noticed while placing obsidian was that I had to come out of water again and again to avoid drowning and it will most probably take a lot more time if we were to sponge out the whole area, use magma blocks to avoid drowning, trap doors, spam water buckets, etc.

If No Drowning and No Hunger are nowhere near exciting enough for a rank, I don’t see how +++ is a rank. It only has 3 perks out of which only 2 of them are useful (No Chat Cooldown and Custom Emojis). I don’t see anyone that uses Bubble Chat anymore…
It may be a rank to support the server but I feel like No Drowning & No Hunger are way better perks than what +++ offers.

4 Likes

:pleadingcheater: :sadcheetos:

We spent so much time on the quests

10 Likes

The quests are indeed good but unfortunately that’s the truth that people do tend to spam click over the messages…

5 Likes

rat here

5 Likes