Create a painting with me!

Hi I am royally sick and in pain this may not make sense, I don’t even know if this is the right area of forums, bare with me here. Let me explain.

So I make paintings, I am a painter, yadda yadda, and most of my paintings are either completely based on my synesthesia or have parts that relate to it. “What is that word” it’s the fun funky fresh thing where your brain will experience two or more senses at the same time with a particular thing. Example: I can hear colors (and less importantly shapes) from music. So sight and hearing basically. See sound and hear color. Yeah

I haven’t done a painting in a bit and I need to and I wanna be silly. I’m going to give a bunch of options in polls you can vote for as criteria for what kind of song I should paint. You can even vote in relation to how you think a MunchyMC theme song would be like. The options with the highest votes will be combined as the final list of criteria for a song I need to find that has everything that was voted for (I will be able to find one, trust me, my spotify library is a mess and too big) and then I will report back once I finish the painting.

I’ll finish the painting. Probably. Could take anywhere from 2 days to 20 months but like. I’ll finish it eventually.

How should the song relate to the painting?
  • Make them one- Paint the song itself, use everything you see from it. Completely abstract.
  • Paint whatever but only using the colors from the song.
  • Paint the shapes that the colors of the song come in but use any colors.
  • Creator’s choice- do whatever you want Sym
0 voters
What should the most dominant instrument of the song be?
  • Strings (ex: Cello, Violin, Viola)
  • Brass (ex: Trumpet, Trombone)
  • Keys (ex: Piano)
  • Guitar/Bass
  • Synth/Pad
  • No dominant instrument/no preference
0 voters
Should the song have lyrics?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Should I try to find a song with a specific hue palette?
  • Yes - Warm colors (Red, Orange, Yellow, Lime)
  • Yes- Cold colors (Emerald, blue, purple)
  • Yes- Non-roygbv (browns, blacks, whites, grays, or super muted/faded colors)
  • No
0 voters
Optional- Challenge me by choosing a time limit criteria
  • Short song (Under 2 minutes)
  • Average song (2-5 minutes)
  • Long song (over 5 minutes)
0 voters

Giving it a few days so I can at least get better from being sick before I start. Hopefully. Haven’t been sick sick like this in a good while. I am going to chug NyQuil and pass out at 9pm. Feel free to discuss and try to work together to rig the polls, or fight each other for not having the same choices, idk. Whatever is fun. Art is meant to be fun, even the planning process

7 Likes

I like the idea of a long song so you have more to work with- and I like both the idea of cool colors and non roygbv. Cool colors would be prettiest, non roygbv would be most interesting. Damn I wish I could experience synesthesia- is it fun for u? Or does it have drawbacks I don’t know about. It sounds cool-

2 Likes

I suggest any of NeOnIsBad’s amazing Munchy songs. They’re good trust

4 Likes

Drawbacks would probably vary between people, as well as types. Most of the time synesthesia is considered good or harmless because it’s not like a “disease” but if I had to guess there are some that would seem more like a pain. Some people call Misophonia a type of synesthesia (though idk how true that is) where misophonia is like, an extreme negative reaction to certain sounds or things I think.

For synesthesia types that I know are 100% under the umbrella, I would say Mirror-Touch. Combining sight and touch where someone would see an injury or a touch on someone else and feel it themself. Which seems cool on the surface but probably ends up being awful at best and exploitable at worst. But again, it also depends on what the person thinks of it.

The most common types have specific names. Chromesthesia is the one I have, the sight-hearing thing. While there’s nothing inherently wrong with it, sometimes it can get a little overwhelming when I listen to music. Depends on how strong of a reaction it causes. Other than that it’s fine and I use it a lot in my art and just in general! :smiley:

2 Likes

i second this

1 Like

My brain doesn’t have the capacity to fit more songs in there past the 300+ I already have across my Spotify account

2 Likes

can relate, I have around 400 songs in one of my playlists

1 Like

I got 1k on my secondary one looool

I already know what song I’m gonna do if the results stay the way they are right now. Everyone has fallen into my trap. There isn’t a single Unlike Pluto song that wouldn’t fit for every combination of these polls

2 Likes

So no NeOnIsBad?

Needed to edit and add this to my comment, I think I’m on to something here -HOLD ON IS THIS THE REASON YOUR NAME IS MINDSONGS?!

2 Likes

Congratulations you have figured out my secret /lh

MindSongs kinda came about on Twitter first, I used to be heavy in the MCYT fandom there in like 2020-2022 and would do paintings of how the CCs would look to my synesthesia through a long and a bit ridiculous process (I like to think of people like they’re songs based on their personality and I would go off to my music library to find the closest matching vibe, and then paint that song, and then present it as that person) so it kinda stuck and was my entire like. Thing. I was honestly surprised a username like that wasn’t taken.

I’m not really on Twitter anymore since it was toxic for me and my mental health, and I’ve heavily cut back on making art of other people for other people because it stopped coming from a place of enjoyment and turned into more of a “I have to do this to stay relevant” thing. I still have most of the synesthesia self portraits though. Funnily enough I almost didn’t name myself this because back then I asked BadBoyHalo for a username suggestion and he said “SymsArtWall” and I actually used that for a few months before I discovered MindSongs was an option.

Here’s my own self-portrait, actually! Just for a cool example:

Art

The song itself is “Wounds” by Kaeshani. Don’t ask me to go into detail you WILL get whiplash from the giant wall of text I’d send about it. Unless you want that!

4 Likes

bro that’s nice art, anyways the backstory behind your name BLOWS my mind

2 Likes

Okay unless you guys manage to completely change the results in the time im asleep I’m painting Black Lotus by Unlike Pluto and i think you guys should listen to it so I can spread my music propaganda. Also if you wanna experiment you can try to hear colors from it. I’ve had my friends try before with varying results. Just don’t force it and try to just let the song show you. Closing your eyes helps because I doubt you guys would be used to having color hallucinations overlaying onto your actual sight.

I will do my best to recover from being sick as fast as I can so I can paint it :3 One thing to note is that my paintings are very stylized- in reality those “crisp lined” and “sharp” shapes are very much blurred and less geometric than I make them. I just don’t have a way to completely replicate it, plus I like my stylization as well.

Thank you guys who voted and participated :D

3 Likes