Attention prison and survival players! (IRL Deals)

In an effort to move away from the harassment faced by community members, this is a new topic discussing the effect of IRL deals on the prison and survival economies.

Please list your feedback and concerns for IRL deals in the replies below.

PS: This is a topic for constructive discussion and criticism towards the rules regarding surv and pris only. Harassment will not be tolerated or accepted and will be dealt with accordingly through the moderation processes.

5 Likes

I really felt that when Crafty reminded us that the moderators will moderate. I forget that all the time. On a real note I think most of the time, IRL dealing is a great way for players to get things they can’t afford themselves. I would rate IRL dealing 7/10. It loses 3 points because I am always poor in game and so I rarely get deals.

5 Likes

I mean as long as it doesn’t harm other players it’s fine smh. Maybe make like leaderboards not count p2w stuff but it’s whatever. Some people don’t have time to play cause of work or school so it’s nice they can progress without having to spend their short time on fun grinding mindlessly for something stupid.

Also I feel as long as scams ain’t present it’s good. Economy still doesn’t change just someone gives ownership of items to another .

1 Like

It’s a bit of a complex subject, but I feel irl dealing is necessary at times.
No matter what anyone says, the ranks on prison and survival ARE pay to win. There’s the argument that ‘there’s nothing to win’ but I fully disagree, and anything which gives you an advantage over others players is pay to win. This includes perks like /fly, which is HUGELY convenient, and also things like daily crates and no hunger with prison ranks. Also, buying crates on both prison and survival to sell allows you to gain loads of ingame money extremely quickly.
Unfortunately, this means anyone who is unable to afford a rank is put at a huge disadvantage, which is why irl dealing is necessary to make the server ‘fair’.
I also understand that Munchy needs an income, and purely cosmetic ranks would definitely not entice players quite as much.

It’s a difficult problem and one to which I feel there is no solution which also means Munchy survives as a server.

5 Likes

Agreed. As long as it doesn’t ruin the game for someone even if it improves the game for another player it’s fine. It’s hard to find servers that don’t give rlly rlly good perks with ranks frankly cause they shut down from lack of income which is as you said this server needs to make income. I feel one work around is maybe people can grind for customs ranks that will give some of those perks but they could be expensive or take a long time to get and be paid for in a he game and not with real money.

Great points.

1 Like

The thing is, I can understand people being EXTREMELY annoyed when they work their butts off to get baltop and then someone soars in with a bunch of crate items and overtakes them. IRL dealing does definitely make the game less fun for dedicated players who don’t have the money to be on the buying end of IRL deals.
I still do feel it is a necessary evil though, as those players likely irl traded for THEIR ranks, and would not have the ability to even consider grinding for baltop if they hadn’t paid someone else ingame currency to get a rank.

4 Likes

Yeah happened to me on a factions server once. And fun fact the most notorious duper on YouTube the horizon started a war against p2w cause he worked his butt off getting first in top 3 in a faction sever then when the server switched to p2w his spot was taken in less then 2 days. So I feel this comparison should be taken into consideration of prison wants to have a fair economy because if people can buy things helping in PvP it will be garbage. However pve ptw isn’t as bad as seen in such things as hypixel skyblock because while you save more time paying which could be nice for people that don’t get to play games they love as much cause of irl things progress and have fun but it doesn’t harm a lot of people.

1 Like

Cosmetics, too, would be sold and traded for in game currency. If you have a virtual economy, IRL deals will happen.
There are games where virtual and purely cosmetic items are traded for tens of thousands of dollars.

I can completely understand a level of personal frustration against this practice, but in my humble opinion none of the arguments against it really stand up to scrutiny.

8 Likes

There’s nothing I can say I haven’t already said when it comes to how it has currently affected the prison economy on munchy, so here’s some general thoughts on p2w on munchy instead.

In 2019. Dream was facing a lot of criticism that the server was p2w, he basically agreed that it is, but there are many ways to play to win as well. He said pretty much every decent minecraft server is pay to win to some extent and he isn’t wrong.

While I’ve often found the fact sometimes necessary items for progression being rare rolls are only found in special crates to be frustrating… I’ve mentioned this before and I believe the feedback was taken on board, because items as rare as the top hat don’t seem to be a thing anymore.

Part of me does kind of enjoy the “scramble” for special items. The signs go up in your cell, and you’re keenly aware that if you miss a special you need in /auc, you might be waiting months for someone to buy crates and find another, or for the specials to be released outside.

Munchy has got a lot better regarding p2w on prison, expanding the game and creating a diverse economy which better allows for people to offer valuable irl deals (often in the past, they were only done for mythicals, or a LOT of legendaries.) They’ve made a greater effort to later make the crates available outside (Dream forgot to do this with the last 2 crates altogether, although he was a little distracted at the time!), removed peace passes, and I believe they altered the way /nurse works to better balance things for players without ranks.

Munchy is p2w for sure, but it’s not shamelessly so. It feels a twinge of guilt about it for sure.

4 Likes

But to actually win what? That’s an actual genuine question because if you can’t find an actual answer to this that is relevant enough to prove that it’s pay to win, then it completely isn’t. Fly not existing wouldn’t have stopped players to play the game. It never broke the game and, unlike prison, it doesn’t make you win anything. There are legit jet fuels that gives you temporarily flight for 50 gold. Come on.

I am curious to see those huge disadvantages. Not being able to fly? Do you genuinely need fly after grinding for less than a week a fully enchanted netherite armour and elytras? Probably not. I could see the point where it does give an advantage from building competition but there’s legit those jet fuels purchasable if you really are in need of fly. Plus the timelines are always adapted to the average amount of players. Fly makes it faster yet it’s not like if you’d run out of time because there’s plenty of it.

Sorry for the tone. It’s late. :sob:

3 Likes

Survival is p2w. And so is prison. I don’t think anyone is denying that, but some people might “you can’t win anything on survival so that means it’s not p2w🤓” and imo that is false survival is p2w but just not the normal p2w. On survival you win the leaderboards and it’s also the same on prison. In my opinion survival ++ and prisons mafia both give unfair advantages and I honestly don’t think any experienced player would deny that.

Sorry for that little ramble… I went a bit off topic lol. Anyways, irl deals. I believe that irl deals are completely necessary for munchy to run.

I think this reply from @Craftifyer on the munchy discord basically says everything

3 Likes

IRL dealing has been a thing for ages, theres nothing wrong with it inherently. Most people who regularly play prison know that as far as prison servers go, Munchys method of monetizing it is fairly tame. And in my opinion theres nothing wrong with using IRL cash to rise to the top in most scenarios. However I do have a problem with it being used to dominate a competition, especially one that is supposed to require thousands of hours of effort to win and pays out such a significant amount. It’s an insult to the people who have won it before and the people who are trying to win it.

2 Likes

I am.

Which leaderboard you win with a rank??? Baltop??? You just blast mine. Mcmmo top??? That’s basically grinding. Championships??? Come on. There is nothing that provides such a wide unfair advantage on survival.

The only reason you’d evoke ++ is because of fly and there’s so many things that have been done that puts fly down. We have flying tokens. We can’t use fly in the extra world for one week. Your fly wears off if you get hit while pvp. What do you want now? Remove fly entirely because that’s the only relevant point for most of you to think it’s pay to win?

Get it clear, it really won’t be a huge deal competitive wise because you just. Can’t. Use. Fly. For. Leaderboards. Nor. Competitions. People would get annoyed, yes, but simply with the fact that they won’t be able to achieve their goals as fast as expected.

There is no such comparison that could be made between survival and prison. Both don’t have the same end goals and that’s easily acknowledgeable. You can’t compare a chill game mode with a somewhat fully competitive one.

1 Like

I’m not saying I even have a problem with it, I’m explaining why I think it is a necessary evil.
I can’t really understand the argument that survival is not p2w, to be honest. If you were an unranked player, wouldn’t you feel KINDA crappy when everyone else is flying around you? Jet fuels cost 50 gold each and last for 2 minutes, right? How is anyone expected to afford that, especially an unranked player who can’t MAKE as much money as ranked players?

I’d say ingame currency is the overall motivation on survival, right? Crates, extra homes, fly, /cook, /repair? ALL of these help you to gain ingame money in some way.
In no way am I saying it is as p2w as prison, but survival is p2w by definition. It basically becomes creative mode with ++.
Bear in mind I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS. It’s just the way things are.

2 Likes

Common misconception, prison is not pay2win unless you spend thousands of dollars. Every single item from every crate becomes available in some way shortly after they come out.

Fishing is actually more powerful than buycraft for passes and can catch 40 bucks of crates a day if you use worms (excluding shop crates, you can catch thousands of dollars worth of those easily)

As far as ranks go, the only feature of mafia that gives a true competitive advantage is anti hunger. Which isnt even very significant.

2 Likes

welcome to survival

where you can summon gold using crates, get more claims and things that sell for thousands by paying money

3 Likes

Rank doesn’t define any faster way to earn gold. It barely makes any relevance. You could see RICH people that have no ranks if they DECIDED to put themselves into grinding. 50 gold for one jet fuel is clearly accessible. Sell stuff. Find a huge cave and you can legit get 50 gold in under 5 minutes. You don’t necessarily need fly everywhere nor at any time.

Tell me then! :innocent:

Crates are one of the easiest thing to grind. Almost nobody buy crates because you can get crate shards from the mini crates and those are even more accessible via /warp quests.

Extra home? You could have a home in several mesas, I agree but where’s the relevance. You don’t have a rank and only have 5 homes. Let’s say one is for your house. 4 homes left. Don’t expect having 4 free homes for mesas that are UNTOUCHED. The whole world is small. You don’t need hundreds of mesas, you’d just find the same over and over and would rarely need more than just 3 homes.

Fly huh. Maybe caving. You legit have elytras to fly, fly tokens and if some gold is at the very top of the cave, just tower up??? If you are blast mining, the cool-down just put non ranked players and ranked players at the same place. The cool-down is long enough for someone that doesn’t have a rank to move from one gold ore stack to another without needing to fly, if in a badland.

/cook? Who even make a living out of cooked food on survival. You have an npc that sells you infinite steaks, 16 steaks for 1 golf… you have /kit that grants you free food… you have nice players that would legit throw you tons of free food at you.

/repair? Could save you some time. Doesn’t mending exists? You even have free GRINDERS for that. You could also ask a player. People genuinely are used to reach out to ++ players to repair some of their stuff.

1 Like

bro if u can keep inventory and fly for paying money that is the quite literal defention of P2W. idk how ppl are denying this :skull::skull: like yeah u could play without it but its a very big adventage

(do not buy ranks)

4 Likes

are you intoxicated
Ahem,

• Crates can be bought and sold for ingame currency
  • Extra homes can be used for grinding spots and are generally EXTREMELY convenient for back and forth journeys, and very limited when unranked
  • /fly is self explanatory, and jet fuel is not affordable at all and I do not care what you say
  • /cook is convenient and saves time
  • /repair is convenient and saves time
  • And another perk I forgot is keep inventory! The ability to keep your hard-earned items on death means you play with no risk. What if an unranked player fell into a pit of lava with all of their extremely expensive crate items which ranked players can carry with no consequence?

Also yes Ice is right and this has nothing to do with the original post so I’m gonna stop talking. Feel free to dm on Discord if you want to discuss further

2 Likes

I legit have no clue what that word means-
Nvm… no. Im in a class and it’s cold

1 Like