ART COMPETITION - Myths and Legends

christian or something

9 Likes

Your IGN: Mysan731
Your discord tag (if you have one): Mysan#0152
Your favorite Myth: Unicorns?
Your submission: I wrote a story. It shouldn’t need any explaining.

Click for the story :)

-Sapphire, Sapphire, can you tell us one of your stories!
-Ok, but only one, I’m very busy today.

-Once upon a time there was a fairy village just like ours. With fairies who had the brightest, most colorful wings. The most beautiful gardens and the cutest cottages. But one day there was an attack.

I woke up in the middle of the night to screaming. The other fairies were running for their lives from a terrible beast. Or that’s what I heard. After the screaming and seeing all the other fairies running I decided to hide. I hid until the sun rose and when I felt safe enough I looked at what was left of our village. There was blood everywhere but no bodies. The houses had been completely smashed and ruined. I looked around and found nobody.

I went up to one of the blood puddles and found a big chunk of hair. Assuming it was from whatever ruined our village I took it and went over to the wizard village not far from here.

When I got there I saw a bunch of other fairies that must have gone there to seek shelter after the attack. I searched for one of my wizard friends Ash to see if he could help me. I found him healing a fairy’s wounds.

-Ash. I said
-Onyx, Lovely to see you. I was worried about you.
-Have you been able to find out what destroyed the village?
-I haven’t had the time to speak to anyone, I have been quite busy healing the fairies.
The fairy who was being healed looked up at me and said
-I saw the thing attacking. It was some sort of beast. Like a bear creature. With huge sharp claws and glowing yellow eyes.
-I have heard a legend about a certain creature like that. I will have to talk it over with some other wizards but we should be able to defeat it before it does more harm. We just need to locate it.
I remembered the piece of hair that I had brought with me and gave it to him.
-Could this help?
-If this came from the beast then yes.
He took the hairs and went away with some other wizards. When he came back he had a map.
-This map has been fuzed with the beast’s hair. If we follow it then we will find it. I’m going to gather a few others and then we can leave.
-So soon?
-The sooner the beast dies the more lives will be saved. And also it’s a full moon. Don’t you fairies believe that’s good luck? Seems like the perfect time.
-It does.

He asked around and found a few wizards that wanted to help. We followed the map they had made and we found the beast’s cave. There were dead fairies everywhere along with mystical creatures I had never seen before. As we searched the cave for the beast we heard it’s footsteps.We turned around and there it stood. It was a tall beast similar to a giant bear just like the fairy described. It’s claws were sharp and covered in blood. Ash picked up his wand and started chanting his spell. The other wizard that he had brought picked up some items from their bags so they could be prepared for when the beast was weak. The beast launched itself forwards towards Ash. I threw myself in front as a distraction. When the wizards were finished they impaled the beast with their ancient sword. As the beast fell it drew its hands towards me. I didn’t have any time to react as the pain hit me. The claw from the beast punctured my skin and the blood started pouring out of my body. As I choked on my own blood. I looked into the beast’s glowing eyes. The moon’s luck wasn’t enough. When I heard the cries and screams of my friends I realized that this wasn’t like the imaginary tales and that I wasn’t going to be saved. This was the end for me. I prayed to the stars one last time before closing my eyes forever.

-That was a cool story, is it true?
-It’s just made up. Sapphire says and smiles.
-Well thank you for the story, we will let you go back to work now. See you later.

Sapphire went to the back of the library and picked up a box from one of the shelves. She picked up a key from her pocket and opened the box. Inside was what seemed to be an old newspaper with the headline. “Beast defeated, Our heros.”

The End

14 Likes

This might’ve made me laugh but I still dislike you

5 Likes

the myth im drawing is ur girlfriend

10 Likes

Self portrait? Nice

3 Likes

IGN: Frostypaws
Discord tag: Sharkpaws#1711
Favorite Myth: While I don’t have a single favorite, I love many of the mythical beings from Finnish folklore. Some of my favorites are Näkki and Hiisi (Näkki being a water spirit who lures people to lakes and other bodies of water to drown them, and Hiisi is a forest being often portrayed as evil and luring people to get lost in forests). I used to hear a lot of stories of both of these from my grandparents as a child, although now it seems likely they told me those to scare me from going to the lake or forest alone. I’ve always found myths and legends interesting, and I love reading about folklore all around the world.
Submission:

I chose to draw the Hiiden Hirvi (Goblins elk in English I think)
Even if the elk isn’t in a large role in the stories told, I used to love it as a child, partly for how terrifying my grandma made it sound to me, so I really wanted to recreate my own version of it for this competition for how I imagined it looking.

And a description of the original being from Kalevala

“The head was made of punk-wood,
Horns of naked willow branches,
Feet were furnished by the rushes,
And the legs, by reeds aquatic,
Veins were made of withered grasses,
Eyes, from daisies of the meadows,
Ears were formed of water-flowers,
And the skin of tawny fir-bark,
Out of sappy wood, the muscles,
Fair and fleet, the magic reindeer.”

I wish I could have quoted the original poem here because I love how it’s written, but sadly you can just have the translation instead

Very late to the game but I just got my exams done ;D
also, this competition really inspired me to start drawing more myths from my culture and I will definitely be posting those on the discord <3

13 Likes

IGN: beanep
Discord tag: bea#9240
Favorite Myth: The Legend of the Lilypad :brazil:
It was believed by native brazilian amazonians that the Moon - called Jaci - would come down to earth from time to time and pick a young girl to live in the sky with him and become a star, each star was a different girl.
Naiá, a beautiful young lady from the tribe, was so delighted and obsessed with the idea of becoming one of Jaci’s stars, that one day she saw the Moon’s reflex in the water and thought it was Jaci coming down to earth to pick her up, she leaned over to kiss it and fell in the lake, drowning to death.
The Moon was so touched by this that it transformed NaiĂĄ into a lilypad: also known as the star of the waters.
Submission:

22 Likes

Wheres the “I played prison map 6” option?

1 Like

Your IGN:
Your discord tag (if you have one):featherpaw#7387
Your favorite Myth: I really like the Kelpie from Scottish folklore, but the Fire Fox is a close second :)
Your submission
This is the Finnish Fire Fox (tulikettu (thank you Sharkpaws!)). In Finnish folklore it was believed to be the cause of the northern lights, due to it running so quickly that its fur sparked and caught fire to brush and low hanging branches it brushed against.

15 Likes

thats so prettyyy omg i luv it! <3

2 Likes

Your IGN: Asylum_Rav
Your discord tag (if you have one): Asylum_Rav#7777
Your favorite Myth: MothMan
Some think it may be the Angel of death, some think its a mutated animal running around the forests of point pleasant. wHo kNOwSsSs~
Your submission: (A comedic comic staring :star: MothMan :star: )

12 Likes

MOTHMANS MILK
pog art

2 Likes

IGN: MaxTheNerdd
Discord Tag: MaxTheNerdd#3954
My favorite Myth: I don’t really have a number one favorite but, Dragons are a close one
My submission:

10 Likes

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

3 Likes

Thank you for all the amazing entries!!

Drag and I will get to judging in the next couple of days and let you know the results!

10 Likes

Good Luck :D

5 Likes

Good luck!

5 Likes

Gl y’all :eyes:

5 Likes

goodluck!!

6 Likes

dang it i missed the deadline

1 Like