Time to talk about the discord

Hiya!

In recent days there’s been tons of discussion surrounding the discord, particularly including the “#artwork” channel as it’s been involved in numerous controversies throughout recent events, in light of this, I have some proposed changes to the discord to help make it a better and safer place!

Note: Yes, I’m aware that this furthers the narrative of me “having a life only on the forums” and because of its serious tone it will 100% be mistaken as “minimodding”. However, because these narratives are completely nonsensical and is a jab at me as a person for my hobbies rather than the topic at hand, I’d request you take it to me in dms where I can “inform” you of your “misjudgement”.

1st proposition: delete the “#miscellaneous-reports” channel and replace it with an anonymous alternative (my favourite is a ticket bot/system)
If you’re reporting something on the discord, the first obvious and natural place you are going to be drawn to is the misc reports channel. Unfortunately, if you’re reporting a user on the discord, they have a high probability of being able to see it. While I’m aware misc reports isn’t just for the discord, I’d imagine there have been a lot of cases where the aforementioned scenario has occurred, and I’m strongly in favour of an alternative, particularly a ticket bot/system like 60% of the other big servers have.

2nd proposition: Make art stealing punishable
Yes, I’m aware it’s hard to moderate. Yes, it should be a common decency thing rather than a rule. But that argument goes the other way around as well. People who have no common decency point to lack of rules as a result of their behaviour, which kind of baffles me. Wether you’re on team “Rules should be made around behaviour” or team “Behaviour should be based around rules” we can all agree art stealing deprives hard working artists of their pride and joy and rips away their credit with a sour taste in their mouth. And no, adding a watermark doesn’t magically solve all the problems in the world.

3rd proposition: Tighten down on criticism in expressive channels, particularly in #artwork and #pets
Again, this is a common decency thing, but why not just add it for reassurance, especially considering the events that transpired previously? I’m sure no one wants their dog to be called an unholy abomination from hell or someone’s artwork they spent hours on to be told is completely garbage and should quit being an artist. Common decency, but just add the rules.

With the controversial ones out of the way, I’d like to offer some fun ideas to end this topic off!

4th proposition: adding clan/gang/(club#bringbacksg?!?!) chats on discord
The idea goes like this, if you’re apart of a gang/clan/club (when sg is released!), you as a leader have an option to create chats to hopefully improve cooperation between your group! To avoid spam, there should be some semblance of a bot channel created for this, where by running a command like “/clubjoin CraftysFanClub” the bot checks that you are in a clan that matches the name of the channel, and you get added to the chat, simple as that!

5th proposition: adding a discord ideas channel for nitro boosters
All nitro boosters currently get are a tag, a dead chat, priority access to bbh events which are never full, and an emote suggestion channel where no one suggests emotes and even if they do Bfi usually ignores it. I’d personally be motivated to subscribe to nitro and boost the server if it meant I’d have an easier time suggesting ideas than writing a 2000 word forums post that will most likely get shut down in a couple of seconds by people who don’t even understand how the discord works, but I digress. For me it solves 2 issues at once with nitro not really having a strong purpose and with discord ideas being extremely annoying to suggest, plus the discord ideas channel wouldn’t get flooded by people not understanding how the discord fully works.

Before you think of the first argument in your head and respond to every single one of my ideas, know I’ve thought through this pretty well, so if you have counter-arguments, they better be good as well of course as constructive. Don’t think I need to keep reminding people about etiquette on the forums but still time and time again even after I put warnings people seem to break said etiquette.

But hey, hope you enjoyed the ideas. Polls below are if you’re too lazy to reply and just want to click a button, have a good night everyone

Upgrading the misc report system?
  • Yeah
  • Nah
  • Indifferent

0 voters

Make art stealing punishable?
  • Yeah
  • Nah
  • Indifferent

0 voters

Crack down on criticism in pet and art channels?
  • Yeah
  • Nah
  • Indifferent

0 voters

Adding a clan/gang/club chat for discord (read idea fully!)
  • Yeah
  • Nah
  • Indifferent

0 voters

Adding a nitro booster discord idea channel?
  • Yeah
  • Nah
  • Indifferent

0 voters

2 Likes

unless yoyre very unlucky the report channels are anonymous, the view history is off. If youre worried, just message a staff member with the report.

the rest of them are already talked about / bad

5 Likes

not reading all that

3 Likes

reading this was pain but you had some cool ideas in here

1 Like

I must admit that I don’t really know anything about the controversies you are speaking of. They must have gone right over my head. But I will still comment on your suggestions. I actually think that your 3 main points are not controversial at all!

I completely agree with this point. Our community discord started as a reporting channel that would only be used by a small group of selected individuals who were unlikely to be reported themselves. This has changed over the years and I agree that public reports can be problematic. Of course, there is always still an option to report privately to staff, but you are right in saying that public reports have a high risk of creating a hostile atmosphere.

This is obviously against the rules. I am not sure if this is a common issue or not, but of course, you can always report it to the staff. At the same time, I doubt that it is necessary to add this to the rules since stealing someone else’s intellectual property goes much further than simply breaking community guidelines so no one should need this extra reminder.

Similar to the above, I doubt that this requires any extra rules. But again, I do agree with you that personal attacks against artwork and pets should be considered harassment and should be punished as such.

I am not very sure about this idea. I don’t know how easy it would be for us to set this up, but I think it comes with a few big issues, such as moderating the channels. We provide an in-game clan chat and clans that require communication beyond that can simply create their own discord server or group chats.

I totally understand that it might be demotivating to suggest ideas that never get the recognition they deserve. But it should be pretty clear that this is not the right solution to the problem. We should implement the ideas that are best for the server, not the ideas of people who paid the most money. We also already have the bug and idea team which serves a very similar purpose except with a more reasonable entrance barrier.

11 Likes

it has been going on a lot recently

3 Likes

I mean, some weirdos would probably spam tickets. Not targeting anyone. :sneezing_face:

1 Like

i think people who agree w this havent looked at the report channels without their staff rank lol
the reports disappear almost immediately unless someone wants to camp the reports channel… which definitely doesnt happen

3 Likes

This is the only reason I don’t publicly report anyone(normally.)

1 Like

Having notifications set on, particularly the in-app ones set for those channels also allows you to see when people are posting messages inside of the HRC’s and what they are posting

1 Like

why r u reporting ppl with text and not just images