The process of making a WoolWars map

In the process of making a WoolWars map, as someone whom would like to get into the subject, what are some general standards or otherwise requirements not listed in forum posts that are easily accessible? A few questions to get this discussion going, is how to evenly place end portal frames? I do know how to barely (that is understating the truth) use WorldEdit. Alongside that topic, what are some issues with maps that get overlooked by beginning map makers, and how do you make a “GOOD” quote on quote map starting out?

I wouldn’t mind if you reply with links to unseen forum posts I may have overlooked, however I would appreciate some feedback on a topic I can’t personally find any good information on Munchy or any other website.

3 Likes

Hello! I have a few suggestions and things for your questions
First of all,

Remember end portal frames will be randomly placed (usually in the sky) so you don’t need to place them in the air or overdo it. Only place them in places you absolutely want them to be so they will always become chests when the map is in game. (for example, you could place them inside structures, in secret places, at the top of a tower, etc)

I don’t know about “issues” but I do know that I love maps with a clear theme and block pallet that are easy to navigate and play through (For example Room or Sweet Tooth) D
I don’t like overdetailing or wall obstacles, but at the end of the day I think it’s best to do whatever you think looks best.

As said before, with the maps I helped with there was a clear theme which made it much easier to see our end goal and where we wanted the map to go. With coral reef the theme was some “underwater” thing, so we all made islands themed around different aquatic looking blocks and made… literal coral reef, bridges etc. With Life And Death the theme was a “good vs evil” thing where one of the sides was dead and destroyed while the other side was full of color and structures.

I used my maps I helped with as an example to show that it’s much easier to make maps when you have a general idea of what you want it to look like. One thing I am not good at is thinking of themes for other people, sorry.

I can also definitely give feedback on what I think of the things you’ve thought of / built if you want.

Goodluck with your map!

2 Likes

Something ontop of my mind is, palettes. What do you- in your own opinion- think of certain block palettes that are out of the ordinary? For instance something like sponge along side Yellow Stained Clay, or as well alongside Gold Blocks? What does it take to have a good block palette in a WoolWars map, or more generally a build.

Clay is a very nice and versatile block - though it’s hard to say exactly because it will heavily depend on what theme you’ve chosen for the map

Also don’t use things like gold, iron, or diamond blocks in your map as they can be mined and turned into armor/ enchanted golden apples

One thing I really do like in maps is foliage - trees, plants, vines, etc, though only build these if they fit with the rest of the map. Using things like wool for leaves and clay for the ground instead of just grass is something I like usually. Sometimes I do prefer grass though, like I said it’s pretty hard to say without a theme.

1 Like

With themes and palettes like these alike, under what context would you use blocks like grass or water themed blocks in primarily unrelated catagories. For instance, if you were to make a plant/passive mob related map, under what context would you use certain blocks for instance like grass? For islands? What do you think good strong context for what palettes in builds should be like?

Most of this is already said, but there are a couple important things which come to mind. You need to remember to strike the perfect balance of aesthetic and gameplay, making sure there are enough platforms and areas people can explore, loot, and fight on but not making the map feel cramped and claustrophobic. Remember not to add too many chests as there will already be randomly generating ones too, but then again don’t have too little xD

If you’re going to make it look good, never do it at the sacrifice of function. Having a unique theme to the map helps alot, if you ever need inspiration I would recommend taking a look at accepted maps, or checking out beanep’s map list. If you need any help with specific problems, asking on the munchymc discord is a good place to start :D

2 Likes