Staff Application Winter 2020 IGN: maefrey

PREREQUISITE CHECKLIST : (answer the following)

- Have you been a regular player on MunchyMC for at least one month?: yes

- Are you able to record and upload good quality videos of hackers?: yes

- Are you able to download and use TeamSpeak 3?: yes (ts 3 is especially accessible to me as I can be reached through ts both on my computer, phone, and iPad- the device I am most often carrying with me as I am a college student and use it in my day-to-day workflow)

ONLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IF YOU’VE ANSWERED ‘YES’ TO ALL OF THE ABOVE

IGN: maefrey

Timezone: central

Languages Spoken: English with a basic understanding of French

Server you would like to moderate: survival!

How active can you be per week? I generally spend a minimum of 4-5 hours a day on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and a minimum of 6-7 hours a day on Wednesday and Friday. Weekends, I am online the majority of the day, and can always be reached in-game via pings if I have stepped away from my computer. (So in total about 50-55 hours a week with more as needed)

When did you join MunchyMC and what made you stay? I joined Munchy in late November of 2019, and simply fell in love. Specifically, the players and staff are what keep pulling back every day. The second I logged on, I was immediately welcomed and quickly found friends and a home here on Munchy, specifically survival. The players all have a blatant love for the game, and there, for the most part, is never any negative aspect of survival. In fact, the players are the whole reason I am even applying! I would like to do as much as I could to give back to not only the players, but the staff that keep Munchy running. I log on every day simply to talk to the friends I have come to know and love, and to get my gold balance up, of course!

Do you have any punishments on our network? If so; please describe your side of story: None! Clean as a whistle, here! :)

Do you have any past moderating experience? If so, briefly describe it: Yes! From around 2013-2016, I was super invested in a wide variety of servers both as staff, owner, player, or simply helping out a friend. However, I eventually found myself very burnt out, most likely due to committing myself to too many people at once! So, for the past three years I have decided to take a step back from servers and simply experience vanilla Minecraft the way it is meant to be experienced. But, over the last few months I have slowly joined back into the server experience and found I have fallen in love all over again, and I hope to pick up (as best as I can) where I left off in terms of experience. I also have found myself making an effort here on munchy to lend a hand to players when I can, and I have found that to be the largest learning experience. So, spark notes version: yes, and excited to potentially add to that list with Munchy!

While moderating on previous servers, I mainly dealt with chat moderation, finding hackers and punishing them accordingly, griefing (for survival servers) as well as recruiting new staff members via minecraft forums.

Do you have any anticheat experience? Yes! My knowledge of anticheat plugins is currently limited to basic commands, but I would absolutely love to take the time to get to know my way around Ares and its contribution to the server. I have read everything there is to read about Ares here on the Munchy forums, and if given the opportunity, I would be delighted to receive the VIP tour!

Please link us to any hacker reports you have made (recorded and/or reported) on MunchyMC: I, thankfully, have only found the need to use /report ONCE throughout my time here! I have never had the need, again, thankfully, to record a hacker in progress. The only other times I’ve witnessed or heard of people hacking have been while a moderator or admin was online and was handling the situation accordingly, not requiring me to report it. Additionally, I am absolutely able to screen record with commentary to provide a further explanation, and am able to do so quickly in the event it is needed.

FOR CONTEXT: the player in question, Dankwolf120, had been implying in chat that he wished to use an X-ray client in the game, and even after I gave him a heads up In chat (shown in screenshot) he proceeded to carry on his wishes to use the client, to which I then reported him.

What have you contributed to MunchyMC so far as a non-staff member? In-game, I am persistently lending a helping hand whenever the opportunity arises. Whether there is a quick question in chat, a player needs help with lockette signs, or someone needs a hand with building, I absolutely love helping out where I can. In fact, one of my favorite things about survival is greeting the new players and helping them start their own survival experience. (I even have a hotel that I often allow and encourage new players to start off in to get the ball rolling! I absolutely love watching them find a home there.) I am a firm believer that setting an example to those new players is just as important. Between constantly having a great attitude and chatting with the new players to make them feel welcome, I will always stand by the idea that leading by example is the key to a thriving community. Financially speaking, I am a regular donor on buycraft! I am constantly purchasing crate keys, tokens, tags, and the occasional rank.

How will MunchyMC benefit from your presence on our staff team? In life it is a general rule of thumb that everybody brings something different to the table. This is no different in minecraft! First and foremost, I’d be able to bring a new perspective to the team. When dealing with problems, viewing the issue from multiple angles as a team is crucial. I can give input others might not be able to, and maybe provide alternate solutions. But, this is not what sets me apart from others. I believe my greatest asset to the team would be my communication skills. I think it is safe to say that an easy majority of being a moderator is dealing with player issues and communication plays a tremendous part in this. Knowing how to speak with players while they may be frustrated or hurt is absolutely vital. If you don’t know the appropriate things to say or do, you could potentially make the situation even worse. For example, munchy is a family friendly server. Say there is a player who is continuing to bring up inappropriate topics even after being told there are children playing, before a mute is issued you must speak in a manner that will not further provoke the player, hopefully succeeding in your attempt to bring the conversation to a close. At my university, I am a student in the college of communications and information sciences, so a large part of what I do every day, inside and outside the classroom, is learning how to properly communicate. I also work for a public relations firm here on campus (this is NOT a full-time job, simply an organization I am involved in here at school), furthering my knowledge in this area. Additionally, as I mentioned earlier, I am a full-time college student without a job, so my schedule tends to be more open and flexible than most. Apart from a few hours a week where I am in class, I am almost always near a computer and am able to get online when needed.

How do you work when in a team? I find that I personally work better in a team. Working together is a surefire way to be successful. Having others to stand with you and help you out when you may be stuck in a rut gives you a huge advantage. A team also gives you the opportunity to learn. I find that I learn most of my skills simply by observing others and taking advice and constructive criticism when needed! When I need a hand, I’m not shy about it. Additionally, as I mentioned above, I work for a PR firm here on campus, and I work within my client team all day long. I find having people to ask questions to and provide me with constructive criticism has done nothing but improve my overall character.

What do you think is the hardest hack to detect and why? During the few years I spent as moderator on a handful of servers, I have come to be fairly familiar with a general understanding of common hacks, as well as how to spot them. Out of the list of hacks that would most likely be used on survival alone, (X-ray, freecam, fly, Jesus, speed hacks, no fall, auto hacks, etc) I would have to say the hardest to spot would be a regen hack.

Now, if PvP was enabled on survival, my answer would be different. If PvP was enabled, a simple never ending 1v1 would be a sure sign a player is hacking. However, with only natural means of damage being allowed on the server (example: fall damage, suffocation, burning, mobs, etc) I believe a regen hack would be fairly difficult to spot. The only way I could see giving away a player was if that player was swimming in lava for an extended period of time.

If you have applied for staff on our network before, why were you turned down? How have you worked to improve on your previous reason for denial? I have not! This is my first (and hopefully my last!)

Thank you so much for taking the time to review my application, and I look forward to hearing back! o/

maefrey
maefrey#6773

Edit: just fixed a quick spelling error!
Edit 2: just added some clarification to my activity!
Edit 3: decided to add some of my previous responsibilities under my moderator experience! Thought you’d like to know just exactly what I have experience with :)

5 Likes

+1!

Very detailed

mae is a great person in game, and always helps out people in need of it.

Good luck mae!!

edit: She does not lie about her time spent on the server, she is on a lot!

1 Like

Thank you!!! Love ya flare ;)

+1 very good i like it very mutch :smiley:

1 Like

If your profile pic is actually you then I like the blue hair
+1 cuz of thy blue hair

1 Like

+1
You have a very detailed application, and I am impressed by your activity and responses to your questions. Good luck!

+1

I really like your application. It is well written, with only a few grammar mistakes, and is very detailed. You seem to be very active, and helpful in game. Hopefully you can add Munchy to your list of servers that you have been staff on. :)

Good luck!

1 Like

hahah thank you!!

1 Like

appreciate it!!! :heart::heart:

1 Like

Hey Gould! Mind pointing out any grammatical errors you see? I’d love to fix them! Thanks for the heads up :)

+1 Very Active
Good Answers to questions

1 Like

Thanks fang! :heart:

1 Like

+2
No flaws, amazing application

1 Like

+1 Very detailed app, I always see you active on the server and helping people out, you’d be a great mod :slight_smile: Good luck!

1 Like

+1 Very active and your application is great!

1 Like

Wow. No words just +'s
+2

1 Like

+1 for obvious reasons! Gl mae

1 Like

Thanks cosmos!:heart::heart::heart:

+1
Very good application and you seem like you’d be a great mod, good luck! :smiley:

-Atterax

1 Like

thank you! :heart: :heart: