Some particular & rambly thoughts on Mining

With the latest update fixing a nasty bug on the UL Mad Hatter’s Pickaxe not properly spawning quartz blocks, redstone ore chance of upgrading blocks on the layer from 10% to 17% (I think this was the ratio? correct me if I’m wrong), and the Shrek Toes multiplier applying to blocks adjacent to the emerald block. While all of these are good and all, I still feel like some aspects of mining are lackluster or could use just some minor or considerable changes.

Elsa Dress & Frozen Elsa Dress
Elsa’s Dress and subsequently the fabled version, Frozen Elsa Dress, are both still somewhat lackluster in terms of what they offer. Both can spawn ice, the latter spawning even more ice before going on a cooldown and can uncommonly spawn blue ice and rarely spawn quartz or a chest. They also have another mechanic attached and it involves causing a minor 3x3x3 explosion, or up to a 5x5x5 explosion for the fabled if mining an iron block or ice block when holding shift. However, this explosion mechanic is currently bugged and nothing happens. Though even when it did work, it was more or less extremely gimmicky, obscure, and outright too rare in any scenario, even with the fabled in mind. The output of how much raw money you also made, even with a full min maxed setup (I’m not accounting Bunny Grin or Ursula Pick) it still wouldn’t make all that much. Also, the radius in which it turns blocks into ice is relatively small & inconsistent with trying to mine with it.

Some additional and primary problems of it is that it’s heavily chained down to have very little power involved compared to some other items in the game. It has a 20 and 15(or 10?) minute cool down respectively for both the regular and fabled version, the ice amount spawned garners very little raw money and is only considerably but not ultimately thrilling with the fabled. And finally, it sorta gets out competed entirely by the paid item Mummy’s Bandage, which has immensely higher & near finite technical potential, only a 5 minute cooldown, and has no theoretical limit to how many blocks of ice & netherquartz it can propagate before a cooldown is asserted.

Perhaps some solutions to the dresses is that it could spawn a lot more ice, but additionally have its overall radius increased. Maybe the explosion odds can be increased and if there’s an explosion, it has a multiplier attached? Nevertheless, I consider both generally very unpowered or underwhelming for the fabled version especially.

Shrek Toes
Recently it received a buff that made its multiplier work if the blocks adjacent to the emerald block was mined. While this is really good, it’s extremely situational and very difficult to pull off correctly due to only 5 of the actual adjacent blocks being effectively multiplied. If somehow the radius of the Shrek Toe’s explosion was increased in some way, this could be massively beneficial, though perhaps its power budget is already strong enough.

This particular one is specifically tied to Big Bad Wolf Pickaxe and Goldilocks’ Pickaxe (including UL and fabled). The multiplier does not apply to the surrounding blocks not adjacent to the emerald block mined. An idea that I had was that these two pickaxes can be special cased with the following conditions: The extra blocks mined (X shape for the BBW pick and cube explosions for Goldi pick) can have the multiplier attached if the block that was initially mined was a emerald block (this can and will have some very interesting effects on the meta).

Robbin Hood’s Lockpick & the UL
In theory, both can be extremely powerful, although the UL version is mildly underwhelming; +5 to looting mining chests instead of +3 & telling you when a cell is expiring in certain cell areas, but mostly falling flat due to the base loot variety (including most semi’s) within the mine chests not being worthwhile. However, there are some exceptions to this. Worms are always welcome and the rare enchantment dust or splooge epic is always great, and extremely rarely the ultra from the chests.

I suppose some adjustments could be that the loot gets adjusted & updated, mayhaps dropping even more goodies? Maybe even an extremely rare Jelly Beans? And the UL could deserve a buff similarly as well, though within mind that the Melon Mine does exist of course.

UL Rumplestiltskin’s Golden Pickaxe
The upgrade of the version applies the gold radius (the Golden Boost is a separate thing) is 9x9, however, this is surprisingly small comparably to the ultra version, which has a 7x7 radius. The primary reason why 9x9 is “small” and lackluster is due to how much setup this pickaxe requires for a specific strategy known as the ‘Goofball’ strategy; utilizing Ghost Plasm to turn as much gold into quartz, and then further upgrading the gold blocks into emerald blocks if you got Shrek Toes. Perhaps the radius could be 13x13 (6 in each direction instead of 4).

Jelly Beans
Introduced within the Easter Crates, they are no realistically viable non-renewable without physical real life currency, and there is currently no other way to realistically obtain them for their usage in mining other than crates. Yes, you can fish them up at level 91, but they’re so impractically rare that it’s unrealistic to ever get them for a single 20 minute usage, let alone if you get an unlucky % instead of the fabled up to 200% ratio.

My proposal is that they could be renewable through farming weed, although extremely rarely. And if you have Bunny Feet, a farming related item, it increases the odds considerably. Or maybe special rares can have a special loot pool and can be found in the Outside or the mine chests?

Anyways, thoughts? :blowfish:

6 Likes

Idk :bangbang::skull:

5 Likes

how much do u even make mining?

1 Like

A full layer of quartz barely makes 350m (full layer at p7mine)

1 Like

And it takes 10 minutes of setup and piky is smarter than me so hes proly got some op setup

1 Like

Really hard to say. Shrek Toes makes the most possible, followed by either full Mummy’s Bandage usage or the Goofball strategy (this takes like 20 minutes of setup). This makes less than the park tree method. Unless someone has physical proof to prove me wrong, I have not found any further ways to refine mining than I already have; excluding Bunny Grin and Ursula’s Pickaxe.

Yeeeahhhhhh, so many of the strategies takes way too much setup and time to do the setup. There’s also UL Mad Hatter Pickaxes, but I doubt people want to spend upwards of 8 UL shards to make the usage of them optimal. After so many hours of testing, I figured that if you want to make money, you want a strategy that takes minimum setup (i.e. Shrek Toes, Mummy Bandage with Goldi, and UL Mad Hatter’s) and can still yield the most amount of money possible within a reasonable time frame of 15 or so minutes. It’s kinda silly, actually, that the best possible setup is still Shrek Toes because of that one multiplier attached to emeralds.

3 Likes