Recording software

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good recording platform? I heard obs is good but is that the only thing i can use? if anyone knows any other good recording softwares please tell me. thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OBS is the only good thing to use. its free, and its really good at what it does there are probably others but they might have viruses or cost money. For editing software you would probably have to pay a decent amount of money. the cheapest reliable software i could think of is filmora.

1 Like

I use windows 10’s in-built recording software in the xbox game bar (just hold windows+g and it’ll pop up). Its really simple and takes high quality footage at a moments notice, just as good as obs except 100x less complicated. Incase you don’t use windows 10 or have a higher-end pc, obs works great.

5 Likes

Personally obs is my choice for recording because it’s free and has a decent amount of features to use.

2 Likes

Lol i use quick time player bc when ever i open up obs my laptop just has a heart attack

1 Like

Use nvidia shadowplay. OBS has way too many settings and produces a mediocre quality video. OBS is made for streaming. Nvidia shadowplay has way less settings and produces a much higher quality video at the cost of a bigger file size. If you’ve got a 1080p monitor, you can set the resolution to 1080p, the framerate to 60 and turn the bitrate all the way up and this gives you a decent recording.

DON’T FORGET TO CAP YOUR GAME FPS AT 60 AND LOWER YOUR MONITOR REFRESH RATE TO 60HZ OR YOU WILL GET STUTTERING!

If you want even better quality, set the resolution to 4K and turn the bitrate up to something like 120mbps. It won’t record in 4K because your monitor is only 1080p, it just records 1080p at a higher bitrate(and thus quality) than it would set to 1080p resolution.

All this is true only if you’ve got an nvidia gpu.

Now to explain why. OBS can use hardware encoding(NVENC) if you tell it to in the settings, but it can’t take full advantage of it like nvidia shadowplay can. I mean it makes sense, since shadowplay and your gpu are made by the same company and are LITERALLY designed to work together.

2 Likes

Thanks

What if he doesn’t have a nividia gpu.

OBS and Action are both good depending on your settings and budget.

are you using Mac or Windows?

If you’re on windows click Windows + G to open xbox gamebar which is recording software that lets you capture up to the last 10 minutes of gameplay its always recording in the background (unless disabled) i used it for about 2 years it never let me down

1 Like

Then ignore my comment if you don’t use nvidia graphics cards xD

I think AMD cards are kinda :poop: because although they can deliver good performance, they (supposedly) don’t last as long as nvidia gpus.

1 Like

I personally use OBS, but I hear shadowplay is good too if you want to capture something that happened but you can’t record again, like a hacker that toggled for a sec

1 Like

Is it possible to have shadow play running and then turning it off for when you want to record with obs?

1 Like

While OBS is definitely a great recording software, and is also free, I always struggled a lot with it, as it has a lot of settings and is a lot harder to use for a starter.

Around 3 years ago I purchased “Action!”, which is a fantastic, clean looking and very easy to use recording software that records in very high quality, 60 fps or higher, and more.
If you ask me, Action! is the way to go :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Im late but i recommend OBS

I use OBS, but the game bar recorder is cool aswell

I use OBs because y e s.

OBS but if you have nvidia gpu you should try nvidia shadowplay instant replay feature. You can get video of everything that happend (from 15 seconds up to 20 minutes).

OBS is the best thing to use for recording in my opinion
If you are looking into streaming I would suggest StreamLabs OBS