Purgatory needs more attention

I’ve brought up many topics and messaged many moderators on why purgatory is constantly neglected. Staff bring up many valid points and I agree that Purgatory doesn’t need staff, as you don’t need a rank in order to help players, In fact I manage just fine. But there is a truth behind the fact that more attention needs to be put on purgatory. It doesn’t need to be through adding staff, but the fact that two moderators said on a recent topic-

“Such as informative signs displayed as the first thing you see when entering the gamemode”

“For banned players there are signs at spawn”

Shows how neglected it is. These two moderators are awesome and I have nothing but respect for them, however they weren’t aware that many signs at spawn are gone, which means new players aren’t able to get all the information they need. I made an entire topic here about it, not only had a helper liked it, I’m sure many staff have seen it, but nothing has been done to fix it. I know the staff aren’t at fault and I hope no one sees this as me calling out staff. But If the hub, or event world was suddenly losing a ton of blocks and informative signs, it would be fixed in an hour without the need of a forum topic and direct contact with multiple staff.

It really seems every time I report a MAJOR problem, my topic is hidden and it’s ignored, as the bugs never seem to be fixed. Most people who made it through purgatory were hackers, and since I have started reporting much less people have made it through, I’m perfectly fine with continuing this so a “purgatory moderator” will never be necessary, but I can’t place spawn signs, nor can I fix bugs, so when I do the best I can to explain the problems and see nothing done to fix them, it can feel as though my effort is meaningless.

Purgatory may not be a gamemode, but it is still a Munchymc server, and that should mean it is maintained and not pushed to the side.

(I deeply love this community, and I never want any of my words to feel like I’m attacking anybody, my goal for this topic is to bring attention to this issue, not to call anyone out. :) )

7 Likes

All major bugs that affect the unban method are patched. I think that a book in a banned players hotbar detailing how to appeal would be good.

There will never be a Purgatory moderator.

9 Likes

I am fully aware there will be no moderator on purgatory, and I said this on the topic. And I agree a appeal book would be awesome. But, I just tested 2 bugs I have reported which definentaly affect the unban process and both still work…

I’m not sure why you think every bug is fixed because that simply is not true. Players can still avoid death by pressing a key, and get full diamond armor by leaving the game. And many more bugs and exploits are still there after being reported weeks ago. I’m not calling you out here, you are an awesome mod, and I hope you don’t find my reply mean, but how can the staff team not be aware of this?

I am saying they are actively being fixed, not that every bug ever has been fixed

This doesn’t indicate that at all but thanks for the clarification.

But can you also explain why the spawn signs still arent there?

I understand your struggle, but you have to look from both a manager’s and programmer’s perspective.

From experience as a JavaScript programmer, debugging is one of the most annoying processes to go through as it includes finding what the problem is exactly, run tens of tests just to find where it’s coming from in your code, and finally debug it which is something that could affect your entire code and can take hours to complete. This process can take between seconds to hours depending on the platform you’re programming on and how efficient your code is.

Looking at a manager’s perspective, you have to realize that the relevant gamemodes are to be prioritized over the purgatory - which is an unban method that does not exist on any other server. It’s outrageous to think that someone who mistreated the server by cheating on it (and is already given a chance to make up for it) is to be given the main focus on.

It is a very strict -1 from me, and my opinion on this subject will not change.

As for the signs, I’ll try to get someone to add them back.

7 Likes

Thanks so much for your input, I have little experience in the world of programming so it’s very encouraging to hear that I was probably speaking to soon.

I made this topic just to dump my feelings about purgatory on the table for others to give input on. Obviously we can’t gage intention through text on a screen, so I want to emphasis how it was never my intention to have others feel as though I was faulting anyone. All I’m after is constructive input on my feelings about purgatory.

Your clarity on the bug fixing aspect of Purgatory is very helpful and I see now that my vision on how bugs were fixed was incorrect, and it’s very reassuring to know that the issues were being addressed and not ignored. I’m sorry I had that assumption.

However about your manager’s perspective, I wasn’t suggesting any changes or additions to purgatory, only that the server be upkept so the server could function properly, I say this because everyday blocks are disappearing and no one was fixing it. I fully agree Purgatory shouldn’t have staff, and shouldn’t be given any new features, this isn’t an Idea topic lol. So when staff are replying as if I was giving a suggestion it’s kinda confusing.

Also these replies seem kinda harsh, this could be because I’m interpreting wrong, but I just want to reiterate that I’m only saying how I feel that purgatory is not being upkept and it’s a bit disappointing. I am not mad nor am I making suggestions or complaining, and I don’t want to sound as though I am arguing. :)

2 Likes

dw they seem harsh but they are best for the community <3333

1 Like

True, Staff = Bestest super cool people

1 Like

Sorry, but purgatory will never be actively maintained. It’s designed as a fun little gimmick of our server and not more than that. Development and even bug fixes are not worth the effort because the server is neither profitable nor does it have a substantial player base (as by design).
By the very nature of purgatory, there will always be cheaters on there and people will complete tasks by cheating. So be it. They will always be re-banned anyway if they continue to cheat. Of course, I am not saying that we want people to cheat on purgatory. And sure, sometimes a moderator will be on purgatory to ban someone. But even that is hardly a valuable investment of time because it does not serve the MunchyMC community more than a negligible amount. I personally believe that a mute on survival for example will generally do much more good for the community than a ban on purgatory.
Maybe in the future purgatory will receive some sort of a revamp to address some major issues, but you should not expect any sort of efforts to actively maintain the server.

I know that there are a handful of active purgatory players who actually enjoy the gamemode. But it’s just not in the interest of our overall community to invest any sort of time into purgatory beyond the bare minimum.

11 Likes

I hadn’t realized Purgatory meant so little to the server. Personally that makes me sad but of course that is a staff position so i respect it. You can lock the topic as I’ve gotten about all the input I cant out of it. Ty :)

But first one more question, does that mean I should not report bugs? In fact, what’s the point in reporting inappropriate structures

1 Like

I wouldn’t really call it a small portion of the server.
In fact, I see Purgatory as one of the greater benefits of playing on Munchy, seeing as it is able to provide a second chance to those who are willing to put effort into showing us they’ve realized their mistake and wish forgiveness for it. It’s an incredible method of punishing those who have broken a strict rule on Munchy and I was unable to find any server who does something that is even close to what the higher ups came up with.

That being said, though, as cheater explained earlier it is still a very small gimmick of MunchyMC and I personally prefer to refer to it as a feature rather than a gamemode by itself. At the same time we could’ve just made a hub command only useable by banned players that opens up a rubik’s cube GUI and tell a player they have to complete it 20 times to be unbanned. It’s a fun gimmick, but there’s no difficulty nor amusement in it - Unlike what purgatory is as of today.

As for your question,

Of course you should if you find any.
It may take a little more time due to priority issues as I explained before, but I want to believe that someone would get to it eventually and hopefully be able to debug it.

5 Likes

Just because purgatory is a place for hackers doesnt mean all rules do not apply there. They are there to learn their lesson and not to be terrorized with words that may be offensive to their state of life.

You can always report a bug if you find one

Like Macdonald said, purgatory is one of the unique gamemodes that provide a 2nd chance to those who have broke a rule. Lets say hypixel for example, if you break a rule, you get banned or muted with no 2nd chance in sight, even if your sorry.

Just because purgatory doesnt gain that much attention, doesnt mean that you cant enjoy the aspects of it

No one uses it :cry:

1 Like

In my personal opinion. Purgatory is absolutly not very lit

2 Likes