Purgatory Anarchy Update Discussion

This has been a truly disappointing read, Munchy is condoning the use of cheats on the server. If Munchy was solely an Anarchy server it would be fair enough, but it just doesn’t make sense in this community. There are so many inconsistencies here I fail to comprehend the decision-making process behind all of this. Even done to the little things, such as, you can cheat here but no server damaging mods or builds, or you can’t cheat while completing quests. Good luck governing all of that. This is going to create problems.

How is Munchy going to say that cheating isn’t allowed on the server while at the same time offering a playground for people who cheat? Does everyone nowadays have a cheat client downloaded and I’m just out of the loop? Am I the the only Minecraft player here that has always believed in fair play and has never done so much as search Minecraft Cheats on the internet? Munchy is indirectly promoting the use of cheats as it encourages players to download cheats and ultimately open the door to teach players how to engage in unfair, immoral, and unethical methods to playing the game that ruin the experience for others.

Munchy should be outright banning cheaters; not creating opportunities for them to continue doing what they do. It’s teaching people that cheating is OK. Cheating shouldn’t be incorporated into the game in any capacity.

Does no one here care about setting a good precedent anymore? Why is Munchy giving cheaters a place to stay instead of teaching them that cheating is wrong? What’s the purpose, is it for a few YouTube videos or what? How am I the only one on this thread pushing back on this? This is the type of thing that makes me think I am legitimately crazy. Cheating is being made into a game here now. It’s unbelievable to me. No one cares anymore.

5 Likes

nothing to say about this, i agree

why should the punishment for cheating be to be allowed to cheat as much as you want

1 Like

i dont think you can cheat as much as you want + that isn’t the punishment since people who aren’t banned can do it as well

i dont know why you are freaking out over munchy allowing blatant cheats amongst banned players, but you havent said anything about them allowing closet cheating amongst normal players?

thats the whole point of the reply??? that this is going to encourage people to cheat?

i have no idea how what you just said has anything to do with my replies, sorry

I do agree with your first paragraph. There are a lot of fundamentally opposite ideas that are competing with each other in this update, and there will certainly be issues stemming from them. In the time that has passed since release, though, I have observed those problems beginning to gradually sort themselves out. Bugs are getting patched, mods are enforcing rules, and players are establishing themselves. That isn’t to say that everything is perfect, but it does give me hope that both anarchy and regulation can coexist with each other.

I don’t agree with your logic regarding your claims that munchy is encouraging players to act immorally though. From the wording of your comment it seems like you consider all forms of hacking to be inherently wrong, but I actually disagree with that. Hacking is only bad if done in an environment in which it isn’t allowed. I don’t see a problem with a gamemode where hacking is the expectation, provided that players know to switch back to vanilla for other munchy servers. I haven’t yet heard of a single instance of a player getting banned for forgetting to switch back while leaving purgatory.

7 Likes

Very well said. Whenever people complain about a gamemode that allows cheating, I wonder whether they consider using mods as “immoral”.

2 Likes

Cheating is a problem that should not be played with, in the realm of Munchy. Historically, BBH videos have constantly publicized cheaters as content, and people would cheat in hopes of being featured in a video. This trend continues to follow through with this update. The use of cheats is being highly incentivized here.

I acknowledge that not everyone that has cheats has mal intent–that’s not what I was trying to say, but how marginal do you think that is? People overwhelmingly use cheats to gain an advantage over others, and that even goes for the Anarchy genre; from what I understand it’s mostly a battle of who has the best cheats. It is never truly fair even then.

Munchy is catering a gamemode where cheating is allowed, to a server that doesn’t allow cheating in general. Tell me how that makes sense and how it makes things easier for the rest of the server. Cheating is a cycle, where players are introduced, they download and use it, they get banned or not, and then what? How is Munchy supposed to discourage cheating when it is opening the avenue for players to use them and essentially start this cycle?

And how do you expect to break this cycle when all that happens is they are placed in another game where they are welcomed to continue to cheat? How do you as a staff feel when you ban someone and instead of them facing a consequence they are instead allowed to continue doing what they were banned for in the first place? How does this help the cheater understand that actions have consequences and they shouldn’t continue to cheat? Do you actually feel accomplished as a staff knowing this is the reality?

Munchy is making cheating commonplace, and when your role is to punish those cheating it should be your obligation to let your higher know that this isn’t beneficial for Munchy.

1 Like

hi beefy

that’s a cool feature well done bfi01

3 Likes

Yeah, I really don’t understand what they are trying to do. How they are going to allow cheats but not allow banned cheaters to earn an unban while cheating? If someone was banned for cheating, and they see they have to complete tasks to earn a free unban, of course they are going to use cheats to complete the tasks! It will be as simple as flying away far from spawn, and just easily start mining or whatever. Unless there are staff watching at all times, idk how they are going to pull this off.

I love Munchy with all of my heart, but this is just an extremely odd decision. Maybe they will have a way to pull it off. I would assume it would be similar to how Hypixel Youtube ranks are immune to the Watchdog Anticheat, while everyone else is still threatened to be banned by Watchdog. Munchy’s Anticheat could be disabled for unbanned players, while it is enabled for banned players.

1 Like

Just turn on the anticheat, if you get flagged you cant complete unban quests for a week

I’m going to go through your points in an order different than the one you wrote them in. It’s only for the sake of clarity, I promise I don’t have stage 4 dementia.

I think you’re looking at this from a 2015-2017 perspective. If this update had come out in that time period I would agree that it would incentivize people to hack in order to be featured in a video. Today, though, it’s 2022, with both Badboyhalo and Munchy being much different. Bad rarely makes any Munchy videos anymore, and when he does, they’re almost always in woolwars or event. It wouldn’t be surprising to me if he hadn’t trolled a hacker in five years. I don’t understand the connection you’re making here.

Again, I don’t see the logic behind this. How does someone hacking on purgatory turn into someone cheating in, say, a woolwars game? The rules of both gamemodes are not only available to every player on the discord and forums, but are also routinely broadcasted in game. The distinctions between the two gamemodes are clear.

It’s important to remember the goal of purgatory. Purgatory isn’t a competitive gamemode like kit or woolwars. Purgatory isn’t a community centered gamemode like survival. Purgatory isn’t a grindfest like prison. Purgatory is - quite literally - hell. I don’t actually mind the slight disparities between clients. Purgatory isn’t meant to be fair.

I think you may have misread or misinterpreted the announcement. Players are unable to earn unbans through cheating; the quest process for banned players is largely similar to the way it was before, where cheating leads to a reset/invalidation of their progress. Rest assured, we’re not incentivizing people to cheat in order to become unbanned.

3 Likes

Respectfully we’re not really seeing eachother’s points so I’m not going to go back and forth trying to debate it any further; I also didn’t realize until now there’s already a thread talking about these things with staff input included. But I do appreciate your response. Glad that someone with some leadership would try to put some perspective on the issue.

EDIT: If I had to summarize the problem in one sentence, it would be that Munchy is normalizing the use of cheats instead of taking steps to actively combat it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get it. Thanks for being open and respectful. Hopefully purg has a good future in store, whatever it may be :)

5 Likes