My concern about purgatory

Hi, thank you for clicking on this topic.

I am here to talk about my concerns on the least played gamemode on the network of munchy. As a person who has seen purgatory from start to finish (it’s current state), I felt like it would be a responsible thing to talk about it. I and notably a lot of players from our small, but dedicated community are concerned about the current state of purgatory. While this post almost certainly won’t change anything, I still felt like elaborating on the issues we have with not only the server, but also the operating team.

As many people know, the anarchy update was a huge disappointment and setback from the old gamemode we absolutely loved.
I am not by any means talking shit on the hard work Fumaz has put into the update, while also maintaining woolwars to its quality standards.
People don’t get the authentic feeling anymore that it used to give, by just bantering at spawn and not having to stay focused on not dying for once. There is little to no room for this anymore, even with hack clients allowed.

But the most annoying and irritating part of everything is the lack of communication, to get the gamemode to the way we would love to see it. I get that purgatory has no revenue stream towards munchy and therefor has little developer power put into it, but its about these little things that would make us not feel forgotten. This can easily be changed by re-adding the old troller system. So @BFI01 and @Fumaz please communicate with the people. We are not expecting you to work on purgatory nonstop. That isn’t feasible, when both of your hearts belong to woolwars.

I don’t want this to be post about all the negative things that are going on, so I’ll make an attempt at explaining the things that we would like to see implemented or at least changed:

•The unban system is currently too difficult, with the breeding task being disabled and all of your statistics will clear upon log out.
Solution: make the breeding task 0/1000, fully remove the stat swiping and remove spawners from the troller inventory, so that players can’t get them.

•Disable mobpvp and damage at spawn, so that we can have some time to talk in a relaxing way.

•The absolute top thing that players love about purgatory is exploring the world and seeing other peoples creations in this difficult environment. We would want to see the worldborder being pushed back to it’s original size 10k by 10k. The border is already set to 10k10k in the nether and end, so why not the most played dimension; the overworld.

•Fix the troller inventory. I already showed a video on how to get troller items from the menu, make every item the same as the chest and tracker, because they cannot be obtained from the menu.

These are our main changes we would like to see implemented into the gamemode. There are lots more, but you’ll have to communicate with us to really find the things that players love to see. Sorry if my topic went all of the place, I’m a bit tired.

Brain signing out,

Pce

Ps. Disallow hack clients (:

11 Likes

I’ve been wanting to talk about purgatory for the longest time, as it’s honestly become munchymc’s “dirty little secret” with it being neglected since the anarchy update, and I feel like since then munchy’s been digging itself into a deeper and deeper hole with little progress since the update.

So, the update.
It’s by far munchy’s most controversial update, and for good reason. At no point should hacked clients have been allowed full stop. At no point should trolls have costed tokens full stop. That’s it, conversation over. I’ve voiced this before, and I’m willing to continue voicing it now.

“I don’t think there is one because people are very reluctant to group purg in with the regular gamemodes” - Anonymous staff team member when asked why there isn’t a list of purg mods.

I’ve kept this reply very blunt because that’s just what purgatory is, a blunt mess. But the point is it’s a fixable mess, which is what this amazing post here is trying to ask for. (Well done by the way @MassiveBrain ) Purgatory needs to be fixed, it may be small, but it has an incredibly loyal fan base as seen from @MassiveBrain’s perspective. Implement his changes, and it may be fun to hop on once again.

I want to leave off this reply with three questions for the staff team, that I want genuine responses for.

1. Do you genuinely wholeheartedly support the purgatory update, is it not a pain to moderate, and wouldn’t you rather moderate your own gamemode(s) instead of it?

2. Why do you think munchy wants to not “group purg in with other gamemodes” do you not see it as a problem?

3. Do you honestly think there’s a difference between “allowing hacks” and “not disallowing hacks”? And no, don’t just say “Well, one’s allowed, and one’s not disallowed” using a double negative is the same thing as using a positive…

In Conclusion:
Purgatory needs to be fixed, and if you’re going to treat it as a gamemode, go all the way, not just half of the way. As @MassiveBrain said, communication is key, and if prison can give its players what it wants, so can purgatory.

#FixPurg

7 Likes

I don’t think this is intentional o.o

4 Likes

It almost has to be, because it wasn’t a thing when the update released.

I have never been a huge purg player, but I do agree the update could have been done much better. This is a very good post by the way MassiveBrain, I hope it gets noticed by the staff team.

5 Likes

Thanks for the post MassiveBrain, there’s few people as qualified to talk about Purg as you are so I appreciate your feedback.

It’s good to see constructive posts voicing your opinions as it allows me to reasonably be able to respond :slightly_smiling_face: I will address your points as follows:

I’m aware there hasn’t been much feedback on myself regarding Purgatory’s future, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been listening. I simply don’t want to make commitments or promises that cannot be kept, and it’s just unfortunately not possible to give Purg small or frequent updates for changes or bug fixes (unless they are game breaking).

Breeding was disabled due to it being incredibly easy to do and people could complete it and get an unban extremely quickly. I’m not sure I see it being readded unless there are preventative measures in place to stop that from happening again. The stats wiping on logout is actually a bug - I wasn’t aware that was still happening. That can definitely be fixed. Spawners also should not be ending up in Banned/Adventurer inventories so that can also be fixed.

Whilst this was removed to provide a more authentic anarchistic experience, if enough players would like that then I’d be happy to make spawn a safe zone.

EDIT: The poll didn’t work :neutral_face: please see the post below to vote.
[poll][/poll]

Yes! Now 1.19 is released I think it would be cool to see new terrain up to 10kx10k.

Having a big list of bugs and suggested changes to Purg is the best way for me to be able to get some development done for the gamemode. Please keep suggesting things and raising bug issues - you can repost them here MassiveBrain (or anyone else!) if you’d like! That would be incredibly useful to me.

Thanks for the post and whilst I can’t give any feedback as to when you can expect an update, I will see what I can do to start polishing up the Purgatory experience.

12 Likes
Make Purgatory spawn a safe zone?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply on my post bfi, it means a lot to me. I would also like to thank the players who put effort into writing their thoughts on this topic (@Craftifyer, @Falconu and the many people who spoke about the issue on the server itself). Anyone who feels like we’re missing information, whether it’s not in line with this all or not, make sure to comment. (no peer pressure :grin:)

I understand that you don’t want to give much feedback on certain things for the reasons you addressed in your post. I do however feel like there should be a team of staff members, a list as crafty suggested, where players can ask any questions that normal players can’t give an answer to. A lot of the questions asked pile up and never get answered, ingame wise and on discord. I won’t name any staff members out of respect.

As a person who plays purgatory a lot, I feel responsible to handle with the questions and issues banned & unbanned players have on the server. I previously handled most of my questions in support tickets. For an unknown reason someone banned me from the support website. I’ve been trying to get unbanned for 8 months now, yet no one seems to be able to find the reason, nor the person who banned me. Could this be fixed?! Maybe then the bugs won’t be forgotten about :wink:

I’m very happy to see your opinion on the changes that people suggested. You should definitely do that more often, because then we truly know that it was seen and could possibly be done something with it in the future.

Second to last I would like you to give a deeper understanding into why hacks were allowed, when a majority of the community dislikes it.

I will not be reacting to the post as my opinion is clear about it. You should however take in consideration, who answered with the intention to troll the living hell out of the players and who didn’t.

Met vriendelijk groet,

Brain

4 Likes

What has happened to the book explaining purgatory, that used to spawn in your inventory upon login? Some guy just got his account banned, because he didn’t know about /adventure.

1 Like