[Guide] Making a good build application

Most if not all of the recent applications have been denied for various reasons. Here is a guide to constructing an effective build application, that will give you more of a chance of acceptance. This should help your builds be the focus of the application rather than the application format itself.

3 steps to creating a build application correctly.

Step 1: Always follow this format! You have no chance of being accepted if you don’t follow this step!

Step 2: Answer ALL the questions. If you can’t understand the question, take a minute to read over it carefully, to see if you can understand the meaning. Just as if you were applying for a job in real life, NEVER write “I don’t know” or “I don’t understand the question”. If you have issues understanding the questions because of barriers in language or culture, then there will almost always be someone in the community that can help you.

Step 3: Include as many builds as possible in your portfolio! The more builds you have, the better. It will help those who vote understand the styles and quirks of your builds, and help them decide if you would be a good fit for building on this server.

Tips to writing a better application.

• Use correct grammar and spelling. Seeing an application with many grammar and spelling errors is a major turn off for lots of people, myself included. Make sure to proofread your application several times, or use a program like Grammarly to aid your grammar and spelling.

• Use a lot of detail when answering the application questions. A good amount of detail would be around two to four sentences per question (excluding questions like player timezones and IGN’s).

What NOT to do on your build team application.

• Don’t upload only one type of build (ie just survival builds). Include as many different types of builds as possible!

• Don’t lie about your building skills! If you have truly never used World Edit, simply say that in the application! Although it is a very helpful to be skilled in World Edit, lying about it can put you in deep trouble if you are accepted and the Build Team finds out.

And most importantly…

NEVER EVER USE STOLEN BUILDS!

If you didn’t build it, don’t use it in your portfolio or you will be denied! This goes for following build tutorials as well - use your own original work!

To conclude, hopefully this will be helpful to some people in their journey to become a builder. And remember, just because you get denied doesn’t mean you’re bad at building. Keep practicing, be persistent, and eventually you might become builder! :wink:

11 Likes

Grammarly sucks. :confounded:

4 Likes

lmao it is good

Nah man. I don’t reply much on here anymore, but I’d argue against this. The only points you need on your application are being a decent person and being a great builder. Look through all the applications and most have very small applications, but fantastic build. I’ve learned over the time that staff applications are where you talk a lot but not on builder applications. You should be seen a role model but not to the extent the others are held to since your only things are to build.

3 Likes

I thought about this, and I think you’re right to an extent. It’s really comes down to the skill of the builder in the end. However, I still believe that including a lot of detail in your application is good. I might have gone overboard when I said four sentences minimum, so I went ahead and changed that. When you do use a lot of detail in answering the questions, it shows that you took a lot of time on the application, and that you really want the position. While it might be more beneficial to have a long staff application, I still believe that having a detailed build application shows a lot of good about the applicant.

Thanks for the criticism, it helped me improve the guide. :wink:

1 Like