Deleted

Edited
Deleted
However you slice it this post gone

2 Likes

Teamspeak is still used a lot by the community, it might not be as much as it used to but people still prefer to use it over discord at certain times. I don’t see the point in abandoning it when it’s still used regularly.

Imagine if you used the discord everyday, but the teamspeak suddenly became way more popular, how would you feel if people wanted the discord to be deleted? If it’s not causing any problems don’t fix it

1 Like

TeamSpeak is still used enough to the point where I don’t see a reason for the deletion of it.
It’s also regularly used by Admins for things like interviews, meetings and by people like Dream, George, Sapnap and Bad as a place to talk on with friends.

It’s also regularly used by players to have a private room that anyone can join if they have the password when they want to which isn’t possible with VCs. And before you say they should “make private discord gcs” for it, it’s entirely different than a private Discord VC.

3 Likes

I don’t see how Discord is “safer” than TeamSpeak, u just connect to a network like how you would on Minecraft. Nothing unsafe about that unless the owner of the TeamSpeak has malicious intent which in the case of the Munchy TeamSpeak is not the case.

TeamSpeak may not be perfect, but neither is Discord. They both have their flaws.
Personal voice channels are not an option on Discord unless you’d want anyone to be able to join which is the whole reason private vc’s exist in the first place.

Also just because “some staff” don’t know how to use TeamSpeak doesn’t no staff does. It’s very easy to learn how to use it and it is no reason for the entire TeamSpeak to be deleted.

3 Likes

tbh I used to not understand it but with time it gets easy to understand
it isnt cause discord was easier for me but its cause I use discord more

also I wouldnt call who barely know how to use it a majority as many staff use it

2 Likes

Personally I prefer discord mostly is because I think it’s easier and faster and whenever I connect to teamspeak either nobody’s on or some people are in a private vc and I don’t want to ask to join because that’s kinda awkward for me

5 Likes

Competence with TeamSpeak is a prerequisite for staff, but they really only need to understand the basics. We can’t expect people to be very knowledgeable or experienced with moderation perms on TS unless they had moderated TS servers before, which is rare nowadays. This prerequisite isn’t a ‘gatekeeper’ for applicants who don’t enjoy using TeamSpeak, as they don’t really need to use it much at all if they don’t want to. If a staff meeting is being held on TS, how difficult is it for someone to just connect to the server and sit in the channel?

Interviews take place on both TeamSpeak & Discord. TeamSpeak is preferred in most cases due to audio quality and any staff who wish to attend can just join a channel instead of needing to be added to a Discord gc, among other things.

It’s for similar reasons that staff meetings are preferred to be held on TeamSpeak, I find TS to be much more reliable than Discord for large calls.

Overall, TeamSpeak is the preferred platform for staff related things but we’re not bound to it and use Discord as well when convenient. With that in mind, why should TeamSpeak be given a different role if it has no issue fulfilling its current role?

8 Likes

Why are you bringing up staff-related problems if it’s not even concerning you lol

7 Likes

These two points are highly presumptive and unequivocally silly in my opinion. First of all, factually stating that “a majority of the staff team barely understands how to use it” is quite inappropriate of you, as its an overexaggerated assumption. Plus, you fail to consider why TeamSpeak moderation might not be as reinforced as in-game moderation. Many of the replies to this post have outlined this.

Needless to say, staff members don’t need to be familiar with all aspects of TeamSpeak functionality, especially for how infrequently it’s actually used in comparison to other Munchy platforms. Distributing punishments is not very different from the way it works on the actual mc server. There’s no steep learning curve whatsoever and I don’t ever recall a time where this was an issue. If it’s not regarded as a problem by authoritative figures on the team and no change has been made to ensure staff members are entirely familiar with TeamSpeak, then perhaps one can come to the conclusion that it’s not regarded as a priority/relevant problem. At that point, one can begin determining reasons why this might be.

In regards to safety, I haven’t found much of a difference so I agree with what Dutch has said, especially since you have provided no reasoning as to why you came to this conclusion other than a comment on a forum post. Both Discord and TeamSpeak have their own pros and cons in regards to safety. Some people might desire Discord’s security features more and others the opposite, but it really just comes down to personal preference. There’s no blatant right and wrong answer.

Wrapping this all up, I think you should conduct a bit more research prior to making posts that have the potential to be controversial like this Crafty, especially if a point is trying to be proven.

4 Likes

On the topic of security…

I am no expert in fact I am just a lowly Minecraft enjoyer but from what knowledge I have I feel compelled to provide a little more detail as to what the security standpoint is in relation to TeamSpeak vs Discord.

When you connect to a TeamSpeak server, your information is sent directly to the administrator of that server; so in this case one of the MunchyMC admins has access to that information.

When you connect to a Discord server, this information is not shared with anyone but Discord.

However, TeamSpeak servers are not centralized; you can run private servers not hosted on TeamSpeak’s servers. All Discord servers are centralized, meaning it is all hosted on Discord’s own servers. You could breach a TeamSpeak server but you can’t just breach ALL of TeamSpeak’s servers in one go, as opposed to Discord, wherein a significant breach is likely to be much more detrimental. Again I am no cybersecurity guru this is simply a basic overview as I understand it. Thing is, most experts agree that TeamSpeak is superior in terms of security, but only when it’s done properly.

That being said, the tradeoff when in comes to TeamSpeak security is that you are able to host it yourself on your own computer, but the burden of ensuring your server is safe and secure relies on the administrator. TeamSpeak advertises itself as offering “military-grade encryption”–whatever that means. In the end, it is the administrator’s responsibility to set up the sufficient security measures in order to protect themselves from breaches. This demands a certain amount of technical knowledge when it comes to TeamSpeak. An incompetent server administrator not doing their due diligence to protect the information of all its users is more likely to be compromised.

Shown above is the text file containing information of the IPs of basically anyone who has connected to the MunchyMC TeamSpeak up to the date it was released. It is quite simple: [Username] [IP Address]. It is only speculation as to how this happened. This is why as previously quoted by me I do not condone going onto the TeamSpeak server. By the way…who was going to inform the faithful Munchy community of this?

Ok…so hypothetically speaking someone with the know-how accesses this leak and obtains your IP. Maybe DDoS? Maybe just harass you… Well just change your IP obviously, right? Right…?

Shown above is my own dox that I had sent to me. It took roughly 10-15 minutes to compile. It’s hard to truly articulate the vastness of our internet footprint and how seemingly little things like a Minecraft data dump can connect to ourselves. With just my Minecraft username “CatTech”, all this information was gathered on me with precision–they could’ve kept going and got the rest of my family and what else but this was just a taste. Any seasoned Minecraft player in this TeamSpeak leak is probably vulnerable to this to some extent depending on their own individual footprint.

So to the people on this thread loosely saying that TeamSpeak is safe and not a big deal–I humbly disagree.

But in general, there are still advantages to using TeamSpeak over Discord. The main edge TeamSpeak has is for performance–less CPU usage and less bandwidth. Pro gamers still use TeamSpeak for this reason as opposed to hopping in Discord VCs. From a managerial perspective I could see how maintaining a TeamSpeak server solely for Staff communication apart from Discord could be useful. While Discord’s superior UI, modern features, and personalization making it almost akin to a social media platform have taken the share of players today, some who have used TeamSpeak for a long time may still find solace in its basic UI and appearance. I always get a sense of nostalgia using TeamSpeak because it was once a place where we did all the things we did before Discord.

Anyone would know this with just a little research by looking online–minus the leak part.

3 Likes