BWDIM Episode 5: aetherim

Welcome back to another episode of But What Does It Mean? Ever wonder: what the heck does that name mean? Well, you’re in the right place! Here, we look at the IGNs of the amazing members of the MunchyMC Community!

She is a JMod on Survival. That’s about all that I know about her, but ig she’s a queen or something? Anyway, you might know who I’m talking about, but if you don’t it’s @aetherim! That’s right, today we will be looking at her IGN and what the heck it means.

a-et-her-im. Boom! Name split! Let’s get on to business.
First part: a (also stylized A). The first letter of the alphabet. Next!
Second part: et (also stylized ET). The title of a movie that you might have heard of. In case you need even more clarification, it’s short for Extra-Terrestrial. An alien.
Third part: her. When you’re talking about a woman in the third person.
Fourth part: im (also stylized I’m). If you think it’s actually I M (meaning I am), you’re wrong. It’s “I’m”, alright? Yeah, that “I’m”, the contraction of I and… am. Darn it.
Anyway, when we put it all together, we get A ET her I am. This may seem a little confusing, but add in a bit of punctuation, and we have " A ET: her, I am". This may still seem confusing, so I’ll break it down for you. For a second here, we’ll just rearrange things a tad: “I am her, a ET”. Essentially, what she’s trying to say is that she is an alien. But not just any alien. She is a female alien.
And she isn’t just stating her existence. She is calling for more gender equality in alien representation in the media. You see, in popular films, books and other forms of literature, aliens are most often attributed to male characteristics. This is actually due to our implicit bias, but we won’t get serious here. But what rim is trying to do is challenge our perception of aliens. Why can’t ET be a woman? Why can’t that alien from that vintage Marvel comic be a girl? This is, in short, what she is trying to tell us with her name.

Episode five seems to be over. If you happen to be the guest star, please comment below with the inspiration for your name. Also, comment with your suggestions of IGNs for me to examine. Until then, this is your host, Spectro, signing off. Goodnight!

16 Likes

Alien

3 Likes

I love this so much. Please do my usual name kamidrgn, I’ll be back to it soon :pleading_face:

8 Likes

amazing

3 Likes

epic!

3 Likes

Shorter but still awesome!

3 Likes

ive been exposed o_o

7 Likes

@beanep aka Mr Bean the Animated Series Episode 2

8 Likes

this must be a handful to do. @Beelzebeel