Build the Earth Project

Before you read, please note this is NOT a server.

You may or may not have heard about the next big thing in Minecraft going on over the past week. Project Build the Earth aims to collaborate with as many builders as possible from all over the world in order to build the entire world as it stands right now. This means that you could build your hometown, or anywhere you want really, and have it incorporated into the final product. This extremely ambitious goal can only be met by volunteers working to build the world together.

But I’m not a good builder!

This project is accepting builders that can accurately build IRL structures in Minecraft in reference to scale and coordinates. Building skill will be a factor, but seeing that you can at least make a building in Minecraft look like the real thing is the most important aspect here. Skill is a plus, but don’t think that since you’re not a grade-a builder that you can’t be involved.

If you are interested and want to participate in this rapidly growing project, DM me on Discord @ CatTech#4518 for information on how to become an official builder or PR inquiries.

5 Likes

People in 1980: we’re going to have flying cars in 2021
People in 2021: Build the Earth project 1:1 scale.

I see this as a success.

2 Likes

A very interesting project, I wonder how long it’ll take to finish this.

But…why?

The biggest problem is the game itself, you can only see a third of a mile away in vanilla minecraft!

There are 2 issues appart, the first and most important is the size of the file, if done expect no less of a terabyte and to support that you will need a server with some HUGE technical means behind.

The second issue is that most of the map won’t be real, it attempts to convert a sphere into a plane surface meaning that the closer your area is to a pole the bigger it will be in the map.

Or get NASA’s computer and set render distance to 5280

well… you still have 5km left

Don’t get me wrong, building real stuff is really cool but to try to build everything in the same file… just no

This is very interesting indeed.
I would love to build my house and town where I live except I suck at building so like that’s never gonna happen.

@olmocap there are a lot of technicalities that play in to this project, most notably as you stated the projection of the map. It’s by no means perfect, and considering this all kickstarted a week ago leaves a lot of room for inconsistencies.

Also I think a complete product would be something like 14 TB :blush: There is no server. There will never be a server. Thanks for your concerns.

How are you gonna get that on your computer? I don’t think many people have a computer with 14 TB of space.

They’re gonna get some NASA type thing

Even though it’s said there will be no server there are only 2 ways to access the world once it’s complete.

1: receive the chunks from a server so your computer doesn’t melt into a new elephant`s foot.
2download little bits of the map file, for example, a region of a country to make it go down from 14. 000 GB to “just” 70 GB for example.

It’s complicated now, average computers are closing to the specifications, but the project is maybe born prematurely.

It’s not made so that anyone can just download the entire earth onto Minecraft. We can definitely have it by region though. The final product would be compiled into one world which has been thought out. I don’t work on the technical side of things so unfortunately I can’t comment much more but that’s the jist of what I know. Feel free to check out the discord and see what’s up.