Balancing and remastering Elementalist

So a while back, there was a post for a suggestion to change Elementalist. Overall, it didn’t seem to grab too much attention to my surprise. This is of course, considering the fact that Elementalist is in a very complex situation. On one hand, it can be very powerful against select few kits that can’t either handle the ice bow’s slowness V, or the one shot wind bow. On the other, simply removing or nerfing those abilities would render this kit useless, as archer and crossbow would simply just be better. I decided to further make changes to the now dead forum post (without necro posting ofc) and make some alterations to some of the ideas I had before. I will provide a link to the original source of this discussion for anyone who wishes to read it.

So onwards with the changes:

Armor/Weapon
Chain helmet: Protection I
Multi dyed leather tunic that changes corresponding to the element you are using (this is done intentionally): Protection IV; Unbreaking 30
Chain leggings: Protection I
Chain boots: Projectile Protection II
Stone sword: Unbreaking III
Affected with perm. Strength I, Haste I

This kit obviously retains the bow, however each bow has different properties, be it the raw damage it deals, or the abilities.

Fire Bow: Enchanted Power III; Flame II; Infinity
As simple as that, no extra details necessary, except to mention that it is an increase from the original power II to provide more incentive to use this.

Ice Bow: Enchanted Power I; Infinity
Pulling the bow back all the way and shooting a target will encase them in ice for 5 seconds; cooldown of 16 seconds. If this ability is on cooldown, each successful strike with the bow at full pull back will instead afflict the target with slowness I for 5 seconds.

The main take away from this is that I lowered the power on the bow in order to make it less useful to simple just use this all the time. The idea of this kit is that you have a wide variety of elements to choose from and not one element is useful standalone.

Storm Bow: Enchanted Power II; Infinity I
When pulled back all the way and hits a target, a Lightning bolt will be shot down at the target location, dealing no extra damage (not including the power II damage) to the victim, and dealing 3 hearts of damage to any other target within the location of the Lightning bolt. The range of the Lightning bolt should be the same as the range of Thor’s. Also there is no cooldown

Ultimately, This bow acts as an AoE damage effect that is very useful when getting teamed on or just shooting a group of targets. Basically its a glorified crossbow strike that deals less overall damage to one target and more damage to multiple targets. The idea of the Lightning rod that I mentioned previously in the old post seems just a bit too slow for it being useful, and since this deals no extra damage to one single target, it is obviously less good to use than the fire bow in many 1v1 cases.

Earth Bow: Enchanted Infinity I
When pulled back all the way and hitting a target, this bow afflicts the target with weakness I for 4 seconds. If the victim is hit with this bow at full pull back again before the weakness debuff expires, the debuff extends to 8 seconds, and whatever they are wearing in the boots slot will be replaced with a dirt block for 4 seconds. This secondary ability has a 12 second cooldown.

This bow acts as a combo with the sword for very aggressive output. Since literally every kit has a pair of “shoes”, then this ability will affect anybody and everybody negatively. Losing a piece of armor and -4 damage is very critical to anybody, and that is why I have suggested that this bow would not have any power enchantments on it.

Again, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated and thank you for reading.

TL:DR - Buff armor and fire bow, change ice bow and wind bow, and actually make earth bow useful.

Older discussion post: Elementalist | Petition

2 Likes

Haste is for building, it does not actually help in pvp, not even in 1.9+ pvp.
For example, give yourself mining fatique 255 and hit some mobs.

We already have this.
The lightning bolt will hit anything else, but only the arrow will do damage to the target.
It’s just a weak attack in both AoE and Single Target from Crossbow.

There is not benefit from pulling the bow all the way back for the effect to trigger on the target, when you get teamed on, if anything you will shoot it once right before you die with a high chance it not triggering at all because of lagg.

You forgot Tracking Bow.
Instead of it to go forever for one target, when the target was within 50 blocks, the arrow will only go for the first in it’s own 5 blocks radius reach and target it for as long as it is in these 5 blocks, else continue flying till it hits the ground or gets another player in it’s reach.

1 Like

I agree with everything said here.

Not including kittens post

1 Like

This seems like a pretty fun and useful remaster, great idea. :smiley:

-Atterax

It’s literally for looks and because it has it right now; no actual pvp reason for it.

…? Crossbow’s attack is a little different than this. For one there is a limited amount of arrows if you miss the target, also the damage is not a set number, its based on resistance. for this kit, it would be a set damage no affected by armor (except obviously the power II from the bow). Last I checked, crossbow explosion deals maybe 1 and a half hearts of damage to PvP kit. This is a buff crossbow AoE damage at the cost of single target damage, because Crossbow’s power IV is much higher than this kit’s power II. In fact, the whole idea of this ability is that it just deals more damage to groups rather than dealing single target, hints why the single target damage on average is less.

I do not agree with this statement. For one the advantage is that you are supposed to use it when you are far away from a target specifically shooting near spawn or what not due to the high volume of players. That way, you don’t attract too much attention until later. To add on this, it also makes sure that there is an element for every situation. Maybe at the time Storm might not be a good choice, but certainly another would be. Also I’m not sure what you mean by lag. Thor creates lightning bolts on both left and right click of its ability, and Zeus’s ability creates multiple lightning strikes, both of which isn’t affected by lag.

I specifically left off Normal and Tracking Bow because I feel like they should be removed. Tracking Bow is only useful for falcons, which I don’t think should just be around for that purpose.

I do appreciate the ideas and feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

When lag occurs, the pull of the bow can be different as the server perceives it.
Of course the lightning of those kits are not affected by lag.

I use it for everyone, even when they are not on the jnr platforms, and of course it’s easy on falcons.
The way tracking bow is now is not what I want from a tracking bow, that has to be changed, but not be removed entirely, the way I have described it is like shooting a crossbow arrow that directly hits you, when an actual crossbow would only do explosive damage.

I forgot to add this in my last post.
I could make a meme out of it using some kid trying to attack people.
The kid screams it’s attack before it has done anything and get countered very fast by another.
Of course that kid says it’s play-attack to not get backfire for bullying, but the other is supposed to not dodge, of course.
(The most recent anime is One Punch Man 2, where a kid has to play as a monster and adults don’t do anything because the “hero” says it’s a game)