Badges Ideas!

Heya! Badges are a neat thing on the forums, however I have a couple of suggestions on some of the badges themselves!

Idea #1: Rename “New User of the Month” to “Community member of the month” and give it a silver badge instead of a bronze one.
I feel as if the New User of the Month award isn’t entirely functional at this point in time, hell around 9 days ago it was given to 2 people who weren’t even new to the community. However, if it becomes a Community member of the month award it can be made into a highlight of a community member, showcasing their achievements and could very well fulfil the role of showcasing new members to the community as well as old ones.

Idea #2: Adding rewards for topic creation and replying to said topics.
This one isn’t exactly hard to figure out. More incentive to create topics and replies = more topics and replies = more active forums and ideas to express on the forums. Sure I do have some alterior motives towards this (notably because I’m gaining fast on that 100 topics created) but cmon, it seems like a fun and good idea.

Specific badges created for this could be like a tiering system where the more topics and replies you create the more and higher quality badges you get. (e.g for topics 1 = bronze, 10 = silver, 100 = gold and for replies 1 = bronze, 100 = silver, 1000 = gold)

Idea #3: Creating temporary badges for people who contribute the most (I.e, who are the highest on the leaderboards
Once again, it’s about the incentive to create discussion, you can do things such as creating badges for users with the most likes received and given, the most topics created, the most replies, ect. However, what I really am enthusiastic about this is about creating badges for the most topics in certain categories.

Ok those are my ideas that as usual suck really bad, tell me why they suck in the replies of this topic.

5 Likes

most of the badges rn are automatic so I doubt they’d want to pick and choose a community member every month

2 Likes

Our forums run on Discourse and a majority of the configuration cannot be made custom by us as we do not have a set developer for the forums. We have our forums manager @ cheater_ but he does not have the time to be custom making forums code to do this sort of thing for us unfortunatley, that goes for a lot of forums ideas that the community and staff team have had in the past.

However, to get around this we use pre-made forums plugins, like Cake Day, this is the plugin that gives forums uses a cake badge on the anniversary of their join date to the forums. If you want to make a suggestion for a plugin addition or tweak, then please feel free to do so, but outside of those kind of alterations there is little we really have control over!

Plugins can be found at: Plugin directory | Discourse - Civilized Discussion

5 Likes