Why Shadownerfing kits is a bad idea

I implore readers to read through this entirely before making uneducated comments

Glider is quite easily the most controversial kit in the entire game. Not only is the community heavily split on whether or not the kit should even exist, but the kit had also been nerfed 3 different times and has had 5 different official versions, with even more versions existing on the test servers that have been scrapped. Like with almost all glider nerfs, the most recent one seemed like a great idea on paper, and it was. The nerf was intended to nerf the kit in a way that still allows players with high enough skill level to use it in a similar fashion to if the nerf had never been applied in the first place (with the exception of fast stacking). Not being able to hold an item is a great concept that was introduced with the feather item. This had its caveats but was a great change (despite being targeted towards a small group of people and not working completely as intended).

Lets go over the patch notes:
Fall damage has been changed to be equal to that of vanilla, putting gliders fall damage in line with every kit except bouncy and feather.
Glider may not hold an item while gliding, while this is a fantastic idea i wish they had implemented a dedicated item so that junk filling your inventory doesn’t disable glider.

So whats the problem?
The problem is that there is a third change that wasn’t listed in the patch notes. While the surface reason for this change is reasonable (to prevent fast stacking) it also has drastic effects on the rest of the abilities and functions of the kit.

The third nerf is as follows
Glider will, under no circumstance, activate if there is not a full block of air below the user. While yes this change prevents fast stacking, even in all previous forms of glider, its not necessary here because not being able to hold wool already prevents the user from fast stacking

What this change does is cripple users of glider who are attempting to use glider at a high level in combat, whether its from hitting over 4 hotkeys in 1 second with precise timing to reduce the effects of knockback. or for chasing people who run away from you. None of these things are possible due to this nerf because glider will not work without a full block of air below you. To put it in simple terms, Glider intentionally does not work in combat scenarios

This change went widely unnoticed by most people due to a combination of not being officially announced and being the type of change that would require a player with extreme levels of game sense and glider knowledge to even notice. Despite this, it is a silent killer and while it has almost no effect on the skill floor of glider, it severely lowers the skill ceiling.

Me and @ZachDontFall also agreed that this glider nerf is nearly impossible to master for players who didn’t already have serious experience with the kit. This is due to practicing individual aspects of the kit being very difficult. While i estimate that it would only take a player like me or him 10-20 hours to achieve near perfect mastery with this version due to our prior experience with the kit it is going to be very difficult for new learners due to the fact that it is not easy to develop the reflexes and timing to ‘disable dodge’ because it adds even more hotkeying and fast movement to the kit

The last time i made a post on this people mentioned that other kits deserved love too. Now that almost every kit in the game has been buffed. I am asking that the admins have a more thorough look at what seems like a slightly rushed nerf.

@BFI01 @Fumaz

14 Likes

I agree with this :+1:
Now that the “Can run away literally forever” and “Can chase you literally forever” aspects of this kit are gone, I would love to see glider receive a slight combat buff to become a B tier kit instead of the D or F it is now.

6 Likes

I like the nerf :thumbsup:

10 Likes

I like the nerf :+1:

4 Likes

why does every post i make get ratioed for no reason

5 Likes

I agree, I think this kit should get a small rebuff to put it back on the main stage again

4 Likes

yeah it kinda ruined the whole kit. I agree :+1:

5 Likes

Removing the requirement of the air block below you would indeed be a nice change

4 Likes

I like you’re mom

Summary

I think ice’s point here is that only the third nerf should be removed

5 Likes

w on the ratio jakeynuggies

3 Likes

I agree I think that there should be some rebuff to glider.

4 Likes

Agreed, glider needs a rebuff.

4 Likes

Thanks for the support <3

4 Likes

Bump
@BFI01 plz respond ty

2 Likes

Me when still no response

1 Like

BFI doesn’t owe you a response.

This post is more about the actual nerf than why shadownerfing is bad anyway