Why Mob Stacking Should be Disabled

While the idea of mob stacking seems effective in terms of reducing lag on the server, I believe that the cons may outweigh the pros on this one. Mob stacking limits players for a couple different reasons, but there are three in particular that I believe most players would agree are effecting us in day-to-day gameplay.

One being that stacked chickens almost never lay eggs! This is a huge bummer because eggs are a common good used in crafting food as well as in shops. I can no longer sell what I can’t find!

Two, the stacked hostile mobs have a huge negative impact on xp farms and mob grinders. Depending on the way they were built, the use of mob stacking can ruin an xp farm that most players go through quite the trouble to make! (to get a more in depth explanation of why this is an issue for players, please refer to polarducky’s reply to this post! Thanks polarducky!)

Finally, while this is not necessarily a concern for the seasoned players, stacked hostile mobs are given the ability to do quite a bit of damage to new, unprotected players, especially if they are defenseless. This can be especially frustrating if they (the mobs) happen to wander near a players claim!

While we all understand the intention behind the mob stacking plugin, I believe I can speak justly on behalf of the majority of survival players when I ask PLEASE turn off mob stacking!

1 Like

i mean i had a farm with ~20 chickens in it and they weren’t stacked

Stacked hostile mobs tend to make xp-farms more efficient a s you can kill more at a time.

The reason chickens stack is they can be spawned in at massive rates with a dispenser. And even stacked they can cause lag. As it has been seen in the past.

Yin’s favorite activity is killing mobs that cause lag.

I just made an account for this, since mobstacking is something that has been causing me and many other people on the server a lot of trouble. So I stand behind maefrey on this one.

To address the points just made by the two above me:

ShadowLegend27: - A farm with 20 chickens that doesn’t stack just proves how inconsistent this plugin is. Since mobs are supposed to start stacking at 5+

Just_Shorty:
The Claim that stacked hostile mobs make mobfarms more efficient is just wrong. The only benefit it provides is that it allows more mobs of the same type to be stored, which isn’t related to efficiency at all.
So in terms of the amount of mobs spawned we actually have no difference with or without the plugin providing the mobs get killed quick enough/moved out of the spawning space in time.

The real problem for mob farms is that it does NOT kill more mobs at a time. And I will explain why this happens. So most common (xp) mobfarms work with the simple concept that when you get a mob to spawn you want two things.

1. You want to get the mob to your killing spot. So you can kill them by hand with a wolf or any other method.
  2. You want the mob on your killing platform to be a one hit kill ( most commonly by dropping them from height or with a piston crusher). Where they can then be killed preferably by using a sweeping edge sword.

The mobstacking actually affects both of these points but I want to focus on 2.

So with vanilla mobs you are able to kill however many mobs are in your killing space with a single strike of your sword allowing you to get xp really fast and stress free. Max entity cramming stops too many mobs from gathering up, so you have to actively be at the spawner if you want good rates.

Making this a more interactive and less afk way to get your levels.

With stacked mobs it is different. I don’t know the exact numbers, but you are only able to kill 1 or at most a couple mobs at once using a sword. It is also impossible to get them all to be a one hit kill since they keep teleporting around the things that are supposed to damage them and end up with full hp in your killing spot. So with a god sword you might be at 1 hit per mob with a normal sword it will take you much longer to kill all of them. So lets say you afk for half an hour at your mobfarm and have about 100 stacked mobs, which you now have to kill one by one while doing nothing other than standing still pressing leftclick repeatedly

Making this a very tedious and annoying task. You afk for half an hour and then afk click for 15 minutes. Great fun for everyone involved !

Aside from the farms being very slow and annoying now there’s also a bug I’ve encountered numerous times that when you hit a normal stacked zombie and it dies leaving behind a small stacked zombie it often glitches through solid blocks, leaving behind 80+ zombies running around in your base to take care of.

Due to this I have actually removed every conventional spawner farm from my base for the time being, as I’m getting an a lot more stress free experience just smelting stuff for xp.

Now I’m actually fine with keeping the plugin since I don’t plan on relying on a mob farm for xp any longer and If it improves server performance that’s a plus.
That being said I have not noticed any improvements in performance since the Introduction of this plugin.
Server is still under a lot of stress when there are 25+ players online. Chunks don’t load etc.
I obviously don’t have access to server statistics, but Id ask you to reconsider if the plugin is really worth it. Since a lot of people seem to be really frustrated and/or annoyed by it.

2 Likes

I think there are like 2 different mob stacker plugins.
If there is a paid version of it, then that might be the one people here are referring to with their ignorance.
The other version makes chicken lay eggs of the count of stacked chickens per cycle and let sweeping edge affect up to 10 mobs in a stack. (definitely better than in 1.8)

If you really want to lagg the server, build a lot of 0tick farms for your exp smelters.

@kittenkatja please do not encourage 0 tick farms as this is both not allowed, causes server lag, and even can get you banned if you do it repeatedly.

What’s more laggy? A 0tick farm using only one module or a spawner of max 6 mobs at one point, because that’s the number of mobs that can exist within the 16 blocks range of the spawner to make the spawner stop adding more mobs.