The current & future state of woolwars

Today I thought to bring to the attention of the current state and future of woolwars. Recently I feel woolwars has a DRAMATIC drop in players from anything I am used to.

Part 1: Teaming

Recently I have both felt and seen the huge unfairness of teaming. Whether its people abusing teams of 2 (or even breaking the rules and teams of 3+) for a win streak or to win any fight at all it is extremely unfair. A few weeks ago I got on a friend’s MC account to try to see what it was like as a new woolwars player. I immediately got teamed, sweated on, and accused of targeting when I had less than 10 games. The teaming I feel is driving new players away from the game and making them not wanna come back… as for the sweating, there isn’t much that can be done about experienced players dominating and destroying every new player.

Part 2: The skill gap

You can’t argue with the facts, the insane skill gap between new and experienced woolwars players is a huge problem. If someone first starts onto a game and gets destroyed game, after game, after game by the same player, they are not gonna wanna keep playing. Imo something needs to be done that can help new players do better. An idea I had is to give rewards for using worse kits like pufferfish or vision and/or adding a quest system similar to Hypixel skywars that gives different challenges like UHC challenge, no armor, no weapon, etc. This could make it so better and more experienced players could play more for those instead of sweating on new players. This also brings me to my third part.

Part 3: The dwindling player count

A few months ago in the middle of the day there would be 60-100 players on woolwars but I feel everyday there are less and less people and the game is dying more and more. Today in the middle of the afternoom (2pm PST/5pm EST) there were 36

I feel this could be because of the two points I brought up before, as less people play both issues become more and more of a problem.

Part 4: The loot table

I brought this up once before in this forum post however it got no attention from high-ups. The matter of the fact is that both gold and chain have absurd amounts of spawn rates when put together (percents & more detail in the forum post linked about) and make it very very hard to get iron gear or kill people with iron/diamond gear. A suggestion I have is to remove gold swords and armor and put back the iron percents to what they were before the loot update. Speaking of updates.

Part 5: Lack of updates

Now don’t get me wrong. I really appreciate all that the devs do for us but to me and a lot of other active woolwars players, the updates come at an astonishingly slow pace. Kit balancing has been an issue for well over a year, extremely supported ideas have been very slow to come. Then of course there is teams mode which has been “coming soon” for almost a year (maybe more? I don’t remember). Teams mode could fix the first problem to a certain extent but then woolwars would be even more split and would appear even more dead. Teams tomore needed to come out when the player average could reach 100 in the middle of the day but now at this point may harm woolwars rather than help it.

Part 6: Kits

We all know the story, for more than a year now woolwars has been rules by 2 or 3 OP kits and nothing has been done about it other than nerfing glider, nerfing it again, then making it OP again. Of course, I do have to give props to the vast nerf that was a good one however the kits are still very very unbalanced as of right now.

Thank you for reading any suggestions for woolwars please comment below ^-^

17 Likes

+1 Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes ty

2 Likes

I can personally vouch on this fact, as recently I’m trying to get into playing more WW and it’s really hard to forget the skill gap between my skills and other players. If I was any other type of player not adjusted to the huge gap of skills, I would most plausibly quit on my first few initial games, as the skill gap is quite way larger than I can consume in the time it would take me to get adjusted to playing against certain types of people.

I’ve personally got this issue in several games. Nearly all, or what seems of it, a bunch of chests of useless loot. Now this may not be a issue with people with a certain level of what luck of what they get in chests, but it certainly has been a issue for me for a lot of the time, especially when there’s roughly 3-5~ players left in-game, and I have mixed golden and chain armor. I’ve had several times I’m at the top of the map, waiting for chest refill, because all of the loot is just golden, chain or leather.

For the entirety of me being on Munchy (as of right now, nearly half a year), the entire time I’ve played WoolWars I’ve seen that it was “coming soon”. I would assume the “Teams mode” is what is taking up so much time for there to be main updates.

If the developers and staff would be moving more quickly when it comes to updates, a surge in players could occur due to more updates, meaning more new features, attracting new and old players alike.

I do not primarily play WoolWars on this network, I only do it every once in a while, every few days, and I do primarily play Survival. I most likely don’t have much of a strict opinion in this type of topic, but I thought I’d share my opinions on this type of topic.

:heart:

1 Like

Part 1

There’s not much to say about teaming because most of what I’d say you seem to know but for the sweating, there really isn’t much that can be done about people sweating, however teams mode could possibly help with this problem as if a good player joins teams mode without another good player, newer players could 2v1 this person and have a better shot at winning.

Part 2

There isn’t much to say about this other than that, as you mentioned, kit balancing is being worked on, which I assume would include vision as it’s meant to be a useful kit. It would likely disclude pufferfish because that’s supposed to be a challenge, but I don’t think vision should be included if balancing for it is being worked on. Also, I think an option to select no kit should be added as a challenge. This would be free, obviously, and I think it it should be shown with a barrier.

Part 3

Not really anything to say here

Part 4

I personally think the loot tables are fine right now. An interesting idea would be to make it so as you get higher the loot gets better. For example, the map could be split into different parts based on height, and in one part you could only find leather and gold armor and in the next, it is possible to find chain and iron. However this would be a huge buff to bouncy, so I’m not 100% sure about this.

Part 5

Once again, not much to say here.

Part 6

I 100% agree because (based on what the community thinks), bouncy should be the standard for a balanced kit. This would mean the only balanced kits are bouncy and knitter (knitter is just as good as bouncy fight me). Also after using healer a lot, I think it might also be just as good as bouncy, but I’m not 100% sure about that. Also, I feel like vast isn’t anywhere near as good as you described. I wouldn’t call it useless, far from it actually, but I feel like you describe as almost balanced when, if using bouncy as the standard for a balanced kit, it’s very much underpowered. Just my opinion though. Also speaking of vast, it either needs the infinite blocks again or a name change, because when I think of the word vast I don’t think of a bridging kit.

As someone who uses almost every kit I agree with healer and knitter however if you are skilled with Vast like me and a few others you can use it in a way to be nearly as balanced ad bouncy, however it isn’t quite the level of bouncy.

2 Likes

In my opinion the best way to get players is by woolwars video by any very popular youtuber/streamer. Around a month ago new video by skeppy (even though uploaded on 2nd channel) brought a lot of players for a while. Even in way different timezones player count could hit 150. That also fixed the skill gap, as new game would be full before the player that killed you last game joined it almost all the times. So yeah the only solution I see (at the moment) is to advertise the server even more.

2 Likes

I still don’t understand how vast can be used in a way like you described but maybe I’m just not very good with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: after using the kit a bit it’s better than I remembered but I still don’t think it’s as good as you say.

3 Likes