Staff Application - [Examiner]

PREREQUISITE CHECKLIST : (answer the following)

- Have you been a regular player on MunchyMC for at least one month?:

Yes, though my arrival was recent, I have been incredibly active and intent on continuing to be.

- Are you able to record and upload good quality videos of hackers?:

Yes I am, I have shadowplay through NVidia as well as DXtory to record through.

- Are you able to download and use TeamSpeak 3?:

I currently have ts3 and spend many hours per day on the Munchy Teamspeak.

- Have you recorded, uploaded and submitted to MunchyMC staff or forums AT LEAST 2 videos of hackers on MunchyMC?:

Yes, they are linked in the application below.

ONLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IF YOU’VE ANSWERED ‘YES’ TO ALL OF THE ABOVE

IGN:

xBroken, Examiner and Mikeal

Timezone:

EST

Languages spoken:

Technically speaking, Greek is my first language, as I spoke it for most of my early childhood, but most of that has dissipated. English has since become my primary language, and I can speak some broken Spanish and Greek. I’m currently enrolled in Greek at my University, so hopefully I should soon be able to speak more fluently once again.

Server(s) you would like to moderate:

I have the most experience with KitPvP, though I feel I could learn how to moderate other portions of the server if my services are required. I feel as though moderating KitPvP would be the best fit for me because I’ve spent most of my Minecraft career (circa 2012) in the PvP aspect of the game, and FFA (a simpler version of KitPvP with only a singular kit) was a part of my everyday activities for most of this time.

How active can you be per week?

I’m currently enrolled in a University, so timing might depend, but my best estimations are as follows:

Weekdays - 5 - 6 hours per day

Weekends - 6 - 8 hours per day

I can also provide a schedule of my classes if the staff team would like. My activity might drop significantly during midterm and finals week, though these time periods don’t last longer than a week, and then my regular schedule would resume, so it shouldn’t be too significant of a factor. Any other events or situations that would require my extended absence would be reported to a senior staff member at my earliest knowledge.

Do you have any past moderating experience? If so, briefly describe it:

I have moderated before on a multitude of servers, as well as been an administrator on a few. All are listed below, with a length of time in each position, responsibilities held, as well as average player counts for context.

MCGamer Network / MCSG-

Before applying for the staff team on MCSG/MCGN, I was a regular player from July 27th 2012, which was a few months after it’s launch, until around the same time three years later (I was not old enough during that time to apply for staff). I was accepted as a moderator on the MCGamer Network (Formerly known by most people as MCSG) from July to December of 2015.Side note: I was the only moderator on the network to ever place 4th place in their semi-annual awards after just one month of being on the staff team. After holding the moderator position and working my way up the ladder of staff members, I was promoted to Trial Senior Moderator for a period of two months (December to early February) where I was taught the skills involved in being a senior staff member on a server with 100+ staff members between the five different server regions. I was officially promoted to Sr. Moderator in early February and held that title for four months (February to late May) before retiring from the staff team due to the ownership’s lack of willingness to change with the times, and refusal to implement new gamemodes and changes that would have likely kept the server alive. My responsibilities during my time as a member of the MCGamer regular staff team included banning hackers, moderating chat, supervising clan battles in the Survival Games aspect of the server, helping players with questions in TeamSpeak, forums and in-game, and regularly helping developers test new plugins. As a member of the MCGamer Senior Staff Team, my specific responsibility was to train new moderators on the anti-cheat system, how to spot hackers, as well as going undercover on a regular basis around staff and testing to see how well they knew their responsibilities as a staff member. The MCGamer Network had, at the time of my moderation, on average 6500 players on at a time and a peak I personally ever witnessed of 12000. The server had over 4 million unique players log in for its 6 years of existence, and was known as the go-to Survival Games server, being the original creators of the gamemode back in April of 2012.

TheParkMC-

As a handpicked helper on TheParkMC from September to December 2015, I helped the smaller community I liked to casually play on with small and simple tasks. Nonetheless, my permissions were very limited (only muting, kicking, and a direct line to staff members with any hackers I could find). My responsibilities on the server were nonexistent, as I chose to only hold a helper rank due to my involvement with the titanically larger MCGamer Network at the time. That being said, I still spent plenty of time on the server helping people in the hub with questions, helping find and deal with hackers, and just having regular conversation with people in the gamemodes they offered. Both TheParkMC and the MCGamer Network knew about my positions within each server, and I had permission from both staff teams to hold my roles on each server as I spread my time relative to my responsibilities. I eventually resigned from TheParkMC due to my promotion on the MCGamer Network, where I felt as though my responsibilities on MCGN would shroud my available time that I used to spend on ThePark. Average player counts for TheParkMC from the best of my memory were roughly 120 players on at a time, and a peak player count amounting to 300 users.

CrispPvP-

CrispPvP was an unusual situation for me, as admittedly, my friendship with the owner could have possibly made my experience climbing the ladder of staff ranks on the server easier than others. Starting off as a moderator at the server’s creation in late May 2014, I would keep that title for less than a month before being promoted to administrator in mid June 2014. I would then spend the remainder of the summer as an administrator before receiving my final promotion, becoming head-administrator of CrispPvP, a title which I held for 6 months, from September 2014 until March 2015 when the server was closed due to the rapid growth and popularity of a directly competing server, RoxBot. As a moderator of CrispPvP, my responsibilities were simple, as I only had to moderate the chat, as well as keep the server clean from any sort of cheaters. As administrator, I helped the server create an identity for itself as a clean cut PvP server, and continued to innovate the server with the developer to help keep it interesting and lively. As a head administrator, my main responsibilities had simplified even more, as my main role was to make sure all aspects of the server ran smoothly, as well as holding bi-weekly staff meetings with the entire staff team, then the administrators, and finally reporting everything back to the owner. As a head administrator I was also tasked with attempting to find new people in the YouTube community to join and promote the server. The server averaged 90 people at a time, as well as a significant peak player count of 450, which at the time was outrageous for the server.

I also had my own server for a period of time that never left the development stage. I can elaborate more on this if need be, but due to its downfall before launch, I won’t waste your time writing about it.

What is something you think Munchy should improve on?

I would like to preface my answer to this question by saying that I in no way intend to bash on the developers or staff team in the sentences that follow, but I feel as though changes need to be made and I’m not the person to sugarcoat problems I see. That being said, I think the anti-cheat needs to be addressed in a serious manner. Reading forum posts and personally seeing countless hackers on Munchy, it baffles me that certain blatant cheats go about unpunished for quite some time, even with staff members on (I think this is due to a lack of flagging by the anti-cheat, not by ignorance of staff members). Furthermore, I have personally been banned by the anti-cheat while glitching into a block during a tp (anyone who has fought me knows I’m far too bad at this game to be cheating), as well as seen many people get banned by the anti-cheat for a plethora of different false bans. While it may seem like the previous two sentences contradict each other, the truth is the anti-cheat can sometimes be inconsistent with who it flags and for what. I think the anti-cheat can be improved upon, and instead of ending this question with a negative, I would like to offer my time as a staff member in serving the developers and admins in testing and tweaking the anti-cheat, to make Munchy a much more positive experience for everyone. As a final piece to this answer, I want to say I’m aware I might have very little knowledge of how specifically the Munchy anti-cheat works, and with that being said, everything stated above is from personal experience, and I will be the first to admit it is possible my claims were invalid. Either way, I would like to learn.

Do you have any Anticheat experience?

I have a lot of anticheat experience, from a variety of different servers, during a time where anticheats were not commonly shared, and every server had its own custom anticheat plugin. Personally, I’ve configured NoCheatPlus’s anticheat for my own server, but overall most of my experience with anticheats was server to server. From the knowledge I’ve gathered, Munchy uses a database to store all of their offenses, which is something I am also familiar with. I am furthermore willing and excited to get the opportunity to learn Munchy’s anticheat system and would enjoy helping out developers in tweaking and improving the system. (This is in no way saying the Munchy anticheat is inadequate, but simply that nothing is perfect, and even slight evolution is helpful to the player’s experience)

What is your greatest strength?

From what I’ve been told over time, my greatest strength seems to be my ability to adapt to my situation, and therefore identify different situations I find myself in very quickly. While many people on the MCGamer Network took at least 3-4 months to transition from Moderator to Senior Moderator (trial stage), it took me only two months, as I learned very early on my place within the staff team, as well as identify my role and where my place is, both in the chain of command, as well as my obligation to further improve the community. My history speaks for itself, and my ability to adapt to a new staff team, MunchyMC’s staff team, would be a smooth and quick transition that would promote growth for myself and those around me on the network.

Comment on your ability to work within a team:

As the “past moderating experience” portion of my application states, in more detail, I have quite a bit of experience within working in a staff team. Throughout my time as a staff member on multiple different servers, I have personally held staff meetings both in the senior staff as well as the regular staff team. I’ve had quite a bit of experience working within teams, as well as leading teams on projects. From leading staff teams in meetings, community events, Teamspeak events and more, I have worked in conjunction with a multitude of people in whatever community I find myself in. I have worked with staff teams to conceive new mini-games and different features to help improve the user experience. I have experience with working in teams IRL as well. I have worked for a pizzeria, a coffee shop (Tim Hortons for you Canadians out there), and I am currently employed at a Greek restaurant. I feel as though as a staff member, I would have a positive influence on the rest of the staff team, as well as push for everyone on the staff team to be as involved as possible. As stated above, leading is something I am comfortable with, and I enjoy bringing people in the community together, as well as working to improve the overall experience of the staff members’ experience as well.

What do you think is the hardest hack to detect and why?

In my opinion, the hardest hack to detect in Minecraft is an auto clicker. My reasoning behind this is, while many auto clickers use a basic click-per-interval system that is easily detectable by any decent anti-cheat, any advanced auto clicker would optimize some kind of randomization within the time intervals, making the clicks inconsistent and significantly harder to detect. This can be problematic because if used with conjunction with a person’s standard click speed, a person can completely throw off the anticheat and gain themselves an extra 5-10 cps, which in a game that runs off of 20 ticks per second, can significantly impact gameplay. Personally, I feel as though the use of screen sharing in these types of cases would be incredibly helpful, as a staff member can test a player on their ability to click at whatever speed they were flagged at. To elaborate, I think this is important as I once had a good friend online who could click 16 cps without jitter or butterfly clicking, and used to get flagged uncontrollably by almost every anticheat he went against due to this. That being said, I’ve seen many staff member’s opinions on screen sharing and understand that a player’s privacy is of the utmost importance to the network, and therefore I feel as though collectively, the staff team and community could come up with an alternative solution to handle this type of problem.

Link AT LEAST 2 videos of hackers that you have recorded and/or reported on MunchyMC:

I apologize for my language used in the video, but this video clearly shows a player by the name of BryangamerYT12 head-snapping multiple times throughout a fight with numerous people. I would like it to be clear that ingame, as well as in public channels, I’m successful in not swearing, because I know ages in these areas have a wide range. Furthermore, this clip was recorded in a private Teamspeak my clan owns, and no such language was used in the Munchy Teamspeak.

This report shows a player by the name of Grayers seemingly using an aimbot of some sort and possibly an autoclicker (as seen by his consistent ability to get first hits). I never made a report on the forums about this player, as I was requested by JakeTheLoser to send the video to him, so he could use the gameplay in conjunction with his own evidence to report the player.

This final video shows IcedHazeYT blatantly using a speed hack, in which he was banned by BBH moments later after sending this video.

Any additional information:

I can gladly elaborate on any of these questions in more detail if need be. The last piece of information I can think of, that would be useful for anyone reading my application would be to clarify that currently my only warn/mute/ban that has come on the network was an automatic ban dealt out by the anti-cheat when I glitched into a block during a tp by 82602IsBack in a 2v2 sumo match. This happened to two other people at the same time as me, and within minutes I was unbanned by BBH as this situation was quickly made known among the staff team.

I appreciate the Munchy community for giving me the opportunity to apply for the staff team.

Thanks
-Mike

3 Likes

Application accepted! Please contact me on discord for the first part of the interview: Antfrost#6098

10 Likes

Welcome to the team!

11 Likes