Rainbowscribble's Staff Application August 2020

Prerequisites

1. Have you been a regular player on MunchyMC for at least one month?:
Yes, I joined on May 7th 2020 and became consistently active on Survival about two weeks after that.

2. Are you able to record and upload good quality videos of hackers?:
Yes, as I use QuickTime to record.

3. Are you able to download and use TeamSpeak 3?:
Yes, I have downloaded it and used it a few times.

IGN: rainbowscribble

Timezone: AEST (UTC +10)

Languages Spoken: English

:rainbow: How active can you be per week?

Because I am involved with university and work, my activity can vary, but I can almost guarantee a minimum of 3 hours everyday with exceptions, such as during finals season. I do think this estimate is on the lower end and I’m more realistically on 5-7 hours a day nowadays.

This amount stays constant regardless of whether it’s a weekday or weekend.

Due to my timezone this time is spread over both the quieter and busier periods on the server (approx. 9pm-11am EST).

:rainbow: When did you join MunchyMC and what made you stay?

I joined Munchy after looking around for a survival server back in May. I became a very active player two weeks later and haven’t looked back.

What made me stay is the wholesome, supportive community which is built upon a strong respect for each other and the rules. I think Munchy’s strength is that it has hit the sweet spot between enforcing rules while still allowing the community to retain its organic entertaining and sometimes chaotic dynamic. A large contributor to this balance is the staff who reflect this duality by being able to be stern when needed but silly enough to have fun with.

I also love the activity of Munchy Survival with both player and staff run events often being a highlight of my Minecraft days. Furthermore, the activity on the forums, Discord and TeamSpeak allows even more great connections and friendships to be formed which I highly value and hope to continue to encourage throughout the community regardless of the formal role I hold.

:rainbow: Do you have any punishments on our network? If so; please describe your side of story:

I have not received any punishment, nor have I ever broken any server rules to my knowledge.

*Update 07/08: I’ve unfortunately just gotten my first auto-mute as a result of spam in a party chat with a close friend during WW. I’ll be even more cautious in future with my use of any form of messaging/chat.

:rainbow: Do you have any past moderating experience? If so, briefly describe it:

I do not have any past moderating experience on an online platform. On the technical side I definitely lack the knowledge at this stage but am a very quick learner so believe I would be more than capable of learning the skills I need when given guidance.

On the non-technical side, I do believe I have a lot of transferrable skills gained from my IRL experiences. Through some of my work as a tutor for classes of up to 30 children at a time (of varying ages), conflict resolution, discipline and communication to all different ages and cultures are examples of skills I have gained and continue to develop. I believe these types of skills are crucial to functioning as a moderator especially when it comes to the chat or conflict between players. I am also not daunted by the task of asserting rules for people I am close to or am associated with as a result.

:rainbow: Do you have any anticheat experience?

I currently do not. However, I have been researching anticheats and survival-related hacks recently to at least have some idea of the basic mechanisms of some widely used anticheats. Furthermore, as Ares is a custom anticheat for Munchy, it’d be important to learn more about it specifically regardless of previous experience.

:rainbow: Please link us to any hacker reports you have made (recorded and/or reported) on MunchyMC:

I have made two hacker reports thus far, reported via the Help Center player reports.

Report 1

Report 2

:rainbow: What have you contributed to MunchyMC so far as a non-staff member?

You’ll often find me welcoming new players, answering questions in chat and helping newer players out as they get their bearings which can involve helping to find lost bases among other things. I’ve become relatively knowledgeable when it comes to things like McMMO (though I don’t know everything) and other important things such as claiming and shops which players often struggle with at first, just as I did.

I also take part in chat moderation whenever possible, reminding players of chat rules (often regarding character or caps spam, swearing and general toxicity) in a calm, but firm way. I am also aware of my limitations as a non-staff member and make sure to encourage players to file support tickets or seek other forms of staff support where appropriate.

I’m also very active on the server, taking part in player-run events and running small events myself as well as bigger staff/server events like build comp which I recently really enjoyed being part of. Being active on the forums (and even sharing an idea about the warp totem ordering that was implemented in survival!!) and Discord has also helped contribute to the same active quality of the server that initially drew me in, which I think also helps encourage the same activity in other players.

Overall, I contribute to the same welcoming, helpful and respectful community that first made me stay and that allows more people to enjoy the server to its fullest potential.

:rainbow: How will MunchyMC benefit from your presence on our staff team?

I think I demonstrate the duality of staff being both fun yet serious appropriately as I mentioned earlier, as I definitely love having a good time and making dumb jokes. However, I have the discipline, maturity and sense to know when to step in and be serious. I also think I’m a very approachable player which will hopefully help continue to strengthen the staff and player connection. I’m a big-picture type thinker and enjoy working towards broader goals through smaller, more achievable goals. I think this translates to survival moderation well, as my broader goal of encouraging the positivity that makes Munchy survival so great will underpin all the decisions I make as a moderator.

But I will not guarantee that I won’t make mistakes, as I very likely will due to my lack of experience. As someone who has had a lot of IRL experience with failure and being wrong about things I initially thought were right, I can say that I will bounce back and use those mistakes rather as learning opportunities to better myself and therefore the community.

:rainbow: How do you work when in a team?

Overall, I work well in a collaborative teamwork setting while still being capable and trustworthy when working individually.

Working within a team, I‘ve been described by previous teams that I’ve worked with as being a positive influence for the mood of the team particularly during more stressful/busy times. I really value my teammates and don’t shy away from acknowledging and praising my peers’ hard work which I think is important in building trust between teammates, which ultimately leads to more effective teamwork.

Working on my own within a team, I have good decision-making skills as I’m able to approach situations from an objective, just stance, taking in all perspectives. Due to the IRL field I am in (healthcare), quick but accurate decisions are integral, which is useful in a team setting. In the same way, however, I am able to acknowledge when something is out of my depth and when I require assistance. I think this skill is often overlooked, but is really important in effective teamwork as waiting too long to ask for help can lead to unnecessary mess while not being able to work independently slows teamwork down.

In terms of managing conflict, I tend to fill a mediating role as I am often able to help de-escalate tension and facilitate open, honest communication to resolve issues. As an empathetic person who has had a lot of opportunities to meet people from all walks of life and viewpoints, I think I’m good at stepping back from the emotions I feel towards a situation and understanding the actions and needs of all parties involved.

:rainbow: If you have applied for staff on our network before, why were you turned down? How have you worked to improve on your previous reason for denial?

This is my first time applying and I look forward to hearing the feedback!

(Edits for grammar)

15 Likes

YES FINALLY +1

2 Likes

Yes amazing best person! +1

1 Like

Rainbow is very active and nice. Rainbow is also very involved in the community! The JMod role would fit her really well.

Definitely a +1!

Good Luck :smiley:

3 Likes

If you don’t get staff I will eat my chair

5 Likes

rainbow is the sweetest :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
+1

1 Like

+1 for SURE!!!
Amazing application miss rainbow!!!
Wish you the best of luck!!!

1 Like

I can’t find the words to explain how good of a Fit rainbow is for this role.

No words

+2

1 Like

+1 definitely!!!

1 Like

-1, Big toxic bully >:(

Not but on a serius note, I give this application a +0.9 for the following reasons:

Activity: rainbow is always very active and her schedule is always very consistent. +0.3

Involvement in the community: Here too I see no problem,she is one of the most funny and nice people on the server. She always helps people in need and having her on the server is honestly one of the best thing to ever happen to the server 0.3

Experience: The issue I have here is that you have little to no experience with being staff. Altho I do believe your irl skills and the fact you’re a very hard working person almost make up for the lack of experience as a staff member. +0.2

The application: Here too I have nothing bad to say about. The application is perfect! +0.1

I really hope you get accepted!

-Arne

2 Likes

+1

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I really love that You made this application and that You realise what being a staff member is and as such You accept mistakes and know how to fix them. You give a really positive vibe and I would like to see You as a staff member! From me it’s a +2, and I hope that You get accepted. Good luck :grinning:

1 Like

Literally the nicest person ever!, also super funny, and realllyyyy active +1

1 Like

Oh wow! This is the most detailed app I’ve read in a while. Easy +1 :D.

Edit: Before I hadn’t met you, but I just talked to you in-game and you were so kind and friendly to me <3. Good luck! I really hope you get accepted!!!

1 Like

Hello Rainbowscribble,
I give this application a +1. Some reasons why is because you are active, a very kind person, helps others, great application. I would love to see you in the staff team!
-Good luck by PN5

1 Like

+1 Nice, I hope you get the job :DD

2 Likes

Thank you all for the lovely comments!! It’s put a big smile on my face and I appreciate the feedback on my app :heart:

1 Like

o - o

I wanna see electro eat his chair tbh.

I’d like a purple rainbow more though…

3 Likes

+1 Brilliant application! Looks like a lot of time went into it and it sounds like you were completely honest!

1 Like