Petition to not have a reset after the new update? maybe wait a couple more years?

Complete server resets are always bittersweet! On the one hand, people lose the things they spent a long time gathering and building, projects theyve worked on, epic farms and bases they’ve spent a long time building and perfecting. On the other, everyone gets a chance to start over again, and make new, improved, even better things!

I understand why you might not be so keen on the idea, but I’ll provide a little explanation of why we reset to see if that makes it a bit more understandable.

Firstly,
Because of how survival works as a gamemode, it has a linear progression. By that I mean you start with nothing, and you have one big epic play through where you gather everything, explore, build, loot, etc. But it also means at some point you do start to run out of things to do. You’ve built an epic base, you’ve got max gear, you’ve completed achievements, you’ve levelled up your mcmmo, etc. Its almost inevitable that at some point, people will run out of new things to try. If you joined relatively recently you might not have reached that point yet, but a lot of older players will have.
In order to keep the mode fresh and interesting, resetting everyone’s progress is a necessary evil. As Alk said, we do save the old map in the museum world so all the amazing builds are preserved! If you make note of the co-ords, you can find them again even once the main map has reset.

Secondly,
Over time, the survival economy gets more and more…uh…quirky. People mine so much gold and have so many resources that things start to lose their value. Rare resources like dragon eggs, wither stars, beacons, etc become relatively common. Because of the mining world resetting there is also almost an infinite amount of gold available, which over time has some big impacts on the server as a whole. One of the things it does is make a huge gap between new players and players who have been playing a while, which can be very discouraging. Resetting the server puts everyone on a level playing field again, ready for new adventures.

Thirdly,
A whole server reset gives us a great opportunity to add in some larger and more significant updates and changes to the gamemode that we can’t introduce at other times. We never reset survival without some pretty massive content updates, which are hopefully exciting and fun for everyone! It also gives us a chance to review everything that we have currently, and tweak and improve the already existing plugins to make them work better or make them more interesting and enjoyable. I would like to think that this means the benefits of a reset outweigh the negatives.

I’ll just note that a lot of the purchased items are only supposed to last as long as the map does. Crate items and claimblocks are sold on this understanding. Ranks and a couple other perks, such as purchased claims, are permanent though. You keep them even if the survival server resets.

14 Likes